open paren/brace/bracket...

12

open paren/brace/bracket...

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi All,

   first, excuse the venting.  Who the %*&^$# decided to inflict the "always type a matching open/close pair" when typing any of ( [ { etc on us?  Would that person please consider commiting hara kiri?

OK, now slightly calmer, I find it /exceedingly/ annoying.  Is this really an appropriate default?    How does one turn it off?

The cases that send me up my *&%$^# tree are when I intend to add a single one in front of some string when I go back to edit some text (e.g. add an exception handler around some phrase).  Here, typing the pair *is just broken*.  Doing it at the end of a text or at the end of line is defensible.  Doing it always IS F*&^%$*G BROKEN.

--
unhappily,
Eliot

Re: open paren/brace/bracket...

timrowledge

On 17-04-2014, at 11:59 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>    first, excuse the venting.  Who the %*&^$# decided to inflict the "always type a matching open/close pair" when typing any of ( [ { etc on us?  Would that person please consider commiting hara kiri?
>
> OK, now slightly calmer, I find it /exceedingly/ annoying.  Is this really an appropriate default?    How does one turn it off?
>

> The cases that send me up my *&%$^# tree are when I intend to add a single one in front of some string when I go back to edit some text (e.g. add an exception handler around some phrase).  Here, typing the pair *is just broken*.  Doing it at the end of a text or at the end of line is defensible.  Doing it always IS F*&^%$*G BROKEN.

I’m not keen on it as a default either. Fortunately we had a rant about it just the other day so I know how to rurn it off - dig out the Auto enclose option in ‘Morphic’. Not, by the way, in ‘morphic’. How did we end up with two categories differing only in capitalisation?

You might want to turn off  ‘Multi-window browsers’ and ‘Reuse windos’ in ‘browsing too. Drives me nuts.

tim
Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with a truly extensive vocabulary

Re: open paren/brace/bracket...

Colin Putney-3

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 1:59 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

   first, excuse the venting.  Who the %*&^$# decided to inflict the "always type a matching open/close pair" when typing any of ( [ { etc on us?  Would that person please consider commiting hara kiri?

OK, now slightly calmer, I find it /exceedingly/ annoying.  Is this really an appropriate default?    How does one turn it off?

The cases that send me up my *&%$^# tree are when I intend to add a single one in front of some string when I go back to edit some text (e.g. add an exception handler around some phrase).  Here, typing the pair *is just broken*.  Doing it at the end of a text or at the end of line is defensible.  Doing it always IS F*&^%$*G BROKEN.

Amen, brother.

The preference is called 'Auto Enclose' and you can find it under the Morphic category.

Colin

Re: open paren/brace/bracket...

timrowledge

On 17-04-2014, at 12:20 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You might want to turn off  ‘Multi-window browsers’ and ‘Reuse windos’ in ‘browsing too. Drives me nuts.

Oh, and also ‘Shout styling in Workspace’. And ‘swapMouseButtons’ in ‘general’. And ‘block argument assignment’, ‘menuAppearance3d’, ‘gradientMenu’, ‘menuWithIcons’, anything to do with roundedBlahCorners, ‘scrollBarsOnRIght’.

tim
All the simple programs have been written, and all the good names taken.

Re: open paren/brace/bracket...

David T. Lewis
See the 'How do I convince a Workspace to stop "helping" me?' thread for
previous rants and rationalizations ;-)

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2014-April/177810.html

> Hi All,
>
>    first, excuse the venting.  Who the %*&^$# decided to inflict the
> "always type a matching open/close pair" when typing any of ( [ { etc on
> us?  Would that person please consider commiting hara kiri?
>
> OK, now slightly calmer, I find it /exceedingly/ annoying.  Is this really
> an appropriate default?    How does one turn it off?
>

> The cases that send me up my *&%$^# tree are when I intend to add a single
> one in front of some string when I go back to edit some text (e.g. add an
> exception handler around some phrase).  Here, typing the pair *is just
> broken*.  Doing it at the end of a text or at the end of line is
> defensible.  Doing it always IS F*&^%$*G BROKEN.
>
> --
> unhappily,
> Eliot

Re: open paren/brace/bracket...

Chris Muller-3
On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 1:59 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>    first, excuse the venting.  Who the %*&^$# decided to inflict the "always
> type a matching open/close pair" when typing any of ( [ { etc on us?  Would
> that person please consider commiting hara kiri?
>
> OK, now slightly calmer, I find it /exceedingly/ annoying.  Is this really
> an appropriate default?    How does one turn it off?
>

> The cases that send me up my *&%$^# tree are when I intend to add a single
> one in front of some string when I go back to edit some text (e.g. add an
> exception handler around some phrase).  Here, typing the pair *is just
> broken*.  Doing it at the end of a text or at the end of line is defensible.
> Doing it always IS F*&^%$*G BROKEN.

Calm down, won't you?  If you need to add an exception handler around
some phrase, why not just highlight the phrase and press Command+[ to
surround it with brackets.

Some people like to "edit text" and some people like to "edit
expressions".  Personally, I find "editing text" pretty old-school,
and a lot more tedious..

Re: open paren/brace/bracket...

Chris Muller-3
> You might want to turn off  ‘Multi-window browsers’ and ‘Reuse windos’ in ‘browsing too. Drives me nuts.

Wow, that Multi-window browsers option is UI-evil incarnate!  I really
don't understand why people just LOVE _modal_ UI's and modal browsing.
 :)  Modal browsing is so cumbersome and impossible to follow
anything.

Just curious why don't you like Reuse Windows?  That saves me from
accidentally accumulating 15 windows opened on the same class, without
stopping me from easily duplicating a window if I need to..

Re: open paren/brace/bracket...

Eliot Miranda-2

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 1:12 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 1:59 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>    first, excuse the venting.  Who the %*&^$# decided to inflict the "always
> type a matching open/close pair" when typing any of ( [ { etc on us?  Would
> that person please consider commiting hara kiri?
>
> OK, now slightly calmer, I find it /exceedingly/ annoying.  Is this really
> an appropriate default?    How does one turn it off?
>

> The cases that send me up my *&%$^# tree are when I intend to add a single
> one in front of some string when I go back to edit some text (e.g. add an
> exception handler around some phrase).  Here, typing the pair *is just
> broken*.  Doing it at the end of a text or at the end of line is defensible.
> Doing it always IS F*&^%$*G BROKEN.

Calm down, won't you?  If you need to add an exception handler around
some phrase, why not just highlight the phrase and press Command+[ to
surround it with brackets.

So do it *when there's an expression to enclose*, not every time you type the character.

Some people like to "edit text" and some people like to "edit
expressions".  Personally, I find "editing text" pretty old-school,
and a lot more tedious..

You know, one can type non-Smalltalk in SMalltalk (class comments, snippets of HTML, angry messages to Squeak-dev), not just platonic Smalltalk.  And the Auto-enclose crap doesn't help there.

Anyway, I can turn it off.  Hope no noobs will be equally irritated...
--
I still love you Chris,
Eliot

Re: open paren/brace/bracket...

Eliot Miranda-2

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 1:12 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 1:59 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>    first, excuse the venting.  Who the %*&^$# decided to inflict the "always
> type a matching open/close pair" when typing any of ( [ { etc on us?  Would
> that person please consider commiting hara kiri?
>
> OK, now slightly calmer, I find it /exceedingly/ annoying.  Is this really
> an appropriate default?    How does one turn it off?
>

> The cases that send me up my *&%$^# tree are when I intend to add a single
> one in front of some string when I go back to edit some text (e.g. add an
> exception handler around some phrase).  Here, typing the pair *is just
> broken*.  Doing it at the end of a text or at the end of line is defensible.
> Doing it always IS F*&^%$*G BROKEN.

Calm down, won't you?  If you need to add an exception handler around
some phrase, why not just highlight the phrase and press Command+[ to
surround it with brackets.

Some people like to "edit text" and some people like to "edit
expressions".  Personally, I find "editing text" pretty old-school,
and a lot more tedious...

You do know about alt-enclose don't you?
--
best,
Eliot

Re: open paren/brace/bracket...

Chris Muller-3
On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 3:39 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 1:12 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 1:59 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> >    first, excuse the venting.  Who the %*&^$# decided to inflict the
>> > "always
>> > type a matching open/close pair" when typing any of ( [ { etc on us?
>> > Would
>> > that person please consider commiting hara kiri?
>> >
>> > OK, now slightly calmer, I find it /exceedingly/ annoying.  Is this
>> > really
>> > an appropriate default?    How does one turn it off?
>> >

>> > The cases that send me up my *&%$^# tree are when I intend to add a
>> > single
>> > one in front of some string when I go back to edit some text (e.g. add
>> > an
>> > exception handler around some phrase).  Here, typing the pair *is just
>> > broken*.  Doing it at the end of a text or at the end of line is
>> > defensible.
>> > Doing it always IS F*&^%$*G BROKEN.
>>
>> Calm down, won't you?  If you need to add an exception handler around
>> some phrase, why not just highlight the phrase and press Command+[ to
>> surround it with brackets.
>

> So do it *when there's an expression to enclose*, not every time you type
> the character.

Because, by doing the above, there are no cases left to need an open
paren / bracket / quote without the corresponding close.

But when I'm typing multiple nested levels of parentheses and blocks,
I don't like to have to tediously match them up when the machine can
do it for me.

>> Some people like to "edit text" and some people like to "edit
>> expressions".  Personally, I find "editing text" pretty old-school,
>> and a lot more tedious..
>
> You know, one can type non-Smalltalk in SMalltalk (class comments, snippets
> of HTML, angry messages to Squeak-dev), not just platonic Smalltalk.  And
> the Auto-enclose crap doesn't help there.

Well it does, for the same reason.  Whether typing code, prose,
comments, snippets or HTML, a close-parenthesis is sure to need to
follow an open..

I thought Alejandro's argument was somewhat entertaining, "if you need
to be typing so many nested levels it speaks about your bad code.."
Maybe, but sometimes you have to balance against number of tiny
methods and the language needs to support it no matter what, so may as
well make it easy.  :)

Re: open paren/brace/bracket...

timrowledge

On 17-04-2014, at 1:54 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well it does, for the same reason.  Whether typing code, prose,
> comments, snippets or HTML, a close-parenthesis is sure to need to
> follow an open..

Really? What if the close is already there because you’re edit text? Oh, wait, we’re supposed to be too cool to edit text these days…

I claim that the reasonable position is that simple typing simply types. Clever extras ought to involve a tiny bit of extra work, such as alt-( or alt-CR etc.

tim
Strange OpCodes: SG: Show Garbage

RE: open paren/brace/bracket...

Ron Teitelbaum
Ok found it!

World Menu > open... > Preferences Browser >

Select Morphic  (No not the morphic with lower case m)

Disable "Auto Enclose"

Woo hoo.  You can now go about your business in your once again serene
world!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum
Head Of Engineering
3d Immersive Collaboration Consulting
[hidden email]
Follow Me On Twitter: @RonTeitelbaum
www.3dicc.com
https://www.google.com/+3dicc

Re: open paren/brace/bracket...

Colin Putney-3

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 3:12 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

Some people like to "edit text" and some people like to "edit
expressions".  Personally, I find "editing text" pretty old-school,
and a lot more tedious.

You know, I bet this boils down to a simple cost-benefit analysis. For me, the effort required to
type a character at the cursor position is negligible, so saving that effort is of little benefit. Even
in cases where I will need to put a $) after the expression I'm typing now, sometimes I'll have to
type right-arrow to get past it. So the benefit is very small and often offset by a small loss.

Similarly, deleting an unwanted character is cheap, but deciding whether to do so is a huge cost.
I have to stop thinking about what I'm doing, and think ahead to what I'm going to do next. Even
if I know I'm going to need the closing character, it stays in my field of view and takes up cycles
as a pending thing that I have to worry about until I complete the encoded expression.

So, the benefit is small and unreliable, while the cost is large and inevitable. It forces me to think
about typing, which normally I don't have to do. Thus, it's infuriating.

However, that calculus is very personal. If typing a character took, say, 10x longer, or I had to look
at the keyboard to find the character, the benefit would be much more significant. Also, if I had to
think about where the keys are, then deciding whether or not to delete the character wouldn't be
an interruption; it would just get folded into the "thinking about typing" that I'd do.

So it probably has more to do with how fast we type than how we think about coding or "editing
text" or even familiarity.

Colin

Re: open paren/brace/bracket...

Nicolas Cellier

[...]

Very well said.
Typing text is not only pretty old-school, it can be pretty low level too.
Forcing us to think (high level) during a low level activity is pretty disrupting, upsetting and inefficient.
That's precisely why I got exactly the same repulsion to these automated help that constantly break my own automated flow...
Maybe we could train ourselves and adapt to these auto-enclose, but this will then break our flow anywhere outside Squeak, so I simply do not wish to.

Nicolas

Re: open paren/brace/bracket...

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 03:12:04PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:

> Some people like to "edit text" and some people like to "edit
> expressions".  Personally, I find "editing text" pretty old-school,
> and a lot more tedious..

I like to edit my shopping list in a workspace. It would be great if
this could consist of executable expressions that produced groceries
on my doorstep, but alas that feature remains unimplemented. Meanwhile,
having a syntax assistant interfering with my typing is an annoyance,
rather like that little paper clip assistant that Microsoft decided that
we were all going to love a few years ago.

On second thought, maybe it's not such a bad idea ... I bet Tim could
do an animated squeaky mouse morph (after all, the eyes are already working).
We could have it detect typing activity, then scurry around the insertion
cursor leaving little mouse droppings that turn into syntax suggestions.
We might need to make it a preference though ;-)

Dave

Re: open paren/brace/bracket...

timrowledge

On 17-04-2014, at 4:27 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On second thought, maybe it's not such a bad idea ... I bet Tim could
> do an animated squeaky mouse morph (after all, the eyes are already working).
> We could have it detect typing activity, then scurry around the insertion
> cursor leaving little mouse droppings that turn into syntax suggestions.
> We might need to make it a preference though ;-)

Sadly I can’t claim great expertise in making animate morphy-things. Getting the damn things to just lay out where I want them and stay there is *quite* exciting enough, thank you.

tim
Strange OpCodes: SD: Self Destruct

Re: open paren/brace/bracket...

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 04:42:19PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 17-04-2014, at 4:27 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On second thought, maybe it's not such a bad idea ... I bet Tim could
> > do an animated squeaky mouse morph (after all, the eyes are already working).
> > We could have it detect typing activity, then scurry around the insertion
> > cursor leaving little mouse droppings that turn into syntax suggestions.
> > We might need to make it a preference though ;-)
>
> Sadly I can?t claim great expertise in making animate morphy-things.
> Getting the damn things to just lay out where I want them and stay there
> is *quite* exciting enough, thank you.

That's not a show stopper. Having the animated thing hop around and position
itself unexpectedly is exactly the behaviour I had in mind. We will want
sound effects of course, particularly in the case of keyboard input that
triggers a lint rule exception.

Dave

Re: open paren/brace/bracket...

Chris Muller-3
Thanks for that great explanation -- (my interest in in man-machine
interfaces has always made this an interesting topic for me).

I've got to say, I totally get you.  I know exactly how you feel
because its exactly how I feel about "Auto Indent".  I drives me nuts
in exactly the ways you've described about Auto Enclose, and for the
same exact reasons.  It totally intrudes on my typing, disrupting my
train of thought because its guessing wrong half the time and forcing
me into a bunch of little "decisions" whether I need to press Tab or
Backspace.  I know what I want to type, I just want to let-it-flow.

This made me pause to ask, "so why do I like Auto Enclose so much, but
not Auto Indent?"

It's because of Squeak's amazing little collection of 2 or 3 editing
features turn it into like a poor-mans Scratch.  You know, the ones
we've been talking about:  1) selecting innards, 2) hot-key
adding/removing of surrounding enclosures, 3) auto format.  Once using
those, Auto Enclose rounds it out nicely, (and disabling
selectionMayShrink boosts it even one more notch).

>> You know, I bet this boils down to a simple cost-benefit analysis. For me,
>> the effort required to
>> type a character at the cursor position is negligible, so saving that
>> effort is of little benefit. Even
>> in cases where I will need to put a $) after the expression I'm typing
>> now, sometimes I'll have to
>> type right-arrow to get past it. So the benefit is very small and often
>> offset by a small loss.

It's not about saving keystrokes.  It's about automatic closure of
multiple nested expressions.  Query's like this are almost impossible
to "type" without Auto Enclose:

     ^ (cube
          plot: [ : dim | dim date month ]
          measures:
               [ : meas |
               (meas mean score plotNumber: 1)
               , ((meas
                    define: #fractionOfWinners
                    as: [ : cell | cell total winnerCount / cell total
count ]) plotNumber: 2)
               , (meas mean gainFactor
                    plotNumber: 3;
                    colorizer: [ : val | val > 0 ifTrue: [Color green
twiceDarker] ifFalse: [ Color red twiceDarker ] ]) ]
          where:
               [ : cell |
               (cell dimension date year equalTo: Date today asYear)
               | (cell dimension date year equalTo: Date today asYear
previous) ]) open

It'd be much more easily "assembled", expression by expression, but
Auto Enclose gives typing it at least a chance of success.  :)

>> Similarly, deleting an unwanted character is cheap, but deciding whether
>> to do so is a huge cost.
>> I have to stop thinking about what I'm doing, and think ahead to what I'm
>> going to do next. Even
>> if I know I'm going to need the closing character, it stays in my field of
>> view and takes up cycles
>> as a pending thing that I have to worry about until I complete the encoded
>> expression.

So I'm surprised you don't better appreciate the atomicity of
expression-editing.  Deleting a paren/brace/quote character breaks the
code and even breaks the formatter so you can get really stuck on
complex expressions.  Taking an approach of expression-editing, one is
determined not to let the code ever be broken even for a short period
of time.

>> So, the benefit is small and unreliable, while the cost is large and
>> inevitable. It forces me to think
>> about typing, which normally I don't have to do. Thus, it's infuriating.

Yep, I totally get you.  But if you ever decide to try committing to
Squeak's very capable expression-editing functions, I hope it'll work
out as well for you as for me.

Re: open paren/brace/bracket...

Colin Putney-3

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 10:11 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yep, I totally get you.  But if you ever decide to try committing to
Squeak's very capable expression-editing functions, I hope it'll work
out as well for you as for me.

Wow. The condescension here is breathtaking. I tried really hard to explain why
some of us have such a strong reaction to this feature. But you don't seem to care,
and refuse to accept "to each his own" as an answer.

I'm not going to post further on this topic, except to help people find the preference.

Colin

Re: open paren/brace/bracket...

Chris Muller-4
>> Yep, I totally get you.  But if you ever decide to try committing to
>> Squeak's very capable expression-editing functions, I hope it'll work
>> out as well for you as for me.
>

> Wow. The condescension here is breathtaking. I tried really hard to explain
> why
> some of us have such a strong reaction to this feature. But you don't seem
> to care,
> and refuse to accept "to each his own" as an answer.
>
> I'm not going to post further on this topic, except to help people find the
> preference.

Whoa whoa there!  Sheesh, I made extra effort to write that whole note
with "love" man!  There is NO condescension at all here!  I told you I
"get you" and even explained how I relate to your strong reaction via
Auto Indent.  I do!

I'm reading it and not getting why you're insulted.   :(  You feel I'm
saying you're stupid for not using it?  No, I never would, because
that's not what I think about you.  Your cost-benefit was based on
keystrokes, so I'm simply saying, from another angle, there's a gold
nugget there.  Discovering Squeak gold is a great experience I hope
you, myself and others will enjoy again.

12