openstreetmap + roassal

Lusa Nicolas
Hello pharo-users community,

my name is Nicolas and I am a student of Informatics at USI in Lugano. I am currently working on my master thesis and I am getting into pharo, playing around a little bit and tasting the potential that is hidden in pharo.
I recently saw a tweet from mr. Serge Stinckwich about how to build 2d buildings and rivers with the openstreetmap API and roassal as drawing support. I tried to replicate the code since I would like to play with it but I got some errors that I didn't menage to fix.
So I was thinking to ask here if anyone has such code to share.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Nicolas

Re: openstreetmap + roassal

Thierry Goubier
Hi Nicolas,

What are the errors you encountered?

I wrote a kind of tutorial to explain how to understand a bit both the OpenStreetMap API and how to use it under Pharo. it is at:

Regards,

Thierry

Hello pharo-users community,

my name is Nicolas and I am a student of Informatics at USI in Lugano. I am currently working on my master thesis and I am getting into pharo, playing around a little bit and tasting the potential that is hidden in pharo.
I recently saw a tweet from mr. Serge Stinckwich about how to build 2d buildings and rivers with the openstreetmap API and roassal as drawing support. I tried to replicate the code since I would like to play with it but I got some errors that I didn't menage to fix.
So I was thinking to ask here if anyone has such code to share.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Nicolas

Re: openstreetmap + roassal

abergel
Dear Nicolas,

This is a fantastic news.
Thierry and François, both in copy of this email, have been working on integrating OpenStreeMap into Roassal.
https://github.com/fstephany/OSMMaps

Just in case of, documentation about Roassal: http://agilevisualization.com

Let us know how it goes. Feel free to contact us whenever you feel like.

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Oct 15, 2014, at 10:48 AM, Nicolas Lusa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello pharo-users community,
>
> my name is Nicolas and I am a student of Informatics at USI in Lugano. I am currently working on my master thesis and I am getting into pharo, playing around a little bit and tasting the potential that is hidden in pharo.
> I recently saw a tweet from mr. Serge Stinckwich about how to build 2d buildings and rivers with the openstreetmap API and roassal as drawing support. I tried to replicate the code since I would like to play with it but I got some errors that I didn't menage to fix.
> So I was thinking to ask here if anyone has such code to share.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Cheers,
> Nicolas

Re: openstreetmap + roassal

Lusa Nicolas
Hi, sorry for the late response.

I tried to debug it on my own and got to some point where it seems it works. I had some complains when it was parsing at first and then some issues with the openstreetmap server I guess.  I'll check the tutorial to and try to fix it and make it as smooth as possible. Thanks a lot for the hints.

Cheers,
Nicolas

On Oct 15, 2014, at 4:14 PM, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Hi Nicolas,

What are the errors you encountered?

I wrote a kind of tutorial to explain how to understand a bit both the OpenStreetMap API and how to use it under Pharo. it is at:

http://pillarhub.pharocloud.com/hub/ThierryGoubier/5y08m9uu71o8i7a35ijwr766p

Regards,

Thierry

Le 16/10/2014 19:02, Nicolas Lusa a écrit :
> Hi, sorry for the late response.
>
> I tried to debug it on my own and got to some point where it seems it
> works. I had some complains when it was parsing at first and then
> some issues with the openstreetmap server I guess.  I'll check the
> tutorial to and try to fix it and make it as smooth as possible.

You may encounter two errors which are linked to the openstreetmap
servers, and I haven't handled them in the script:
- time out in the ZnClient query to the openstreetmap api server.
- request returning no data and a tag 'error' (which also means a
timeout of the api server).

In such cases, switching to a different openstreetmap api server may be
a solution. For example, the french openstreetmap association server
seems to work well:

http://api.openstreetmap.fr/oapi/interpreter

> Thanks a lot for the hints.

You're welcome,