opentalk (stupid?) problem

giorgiof
hi,
Someone has some idea on why an opentalk communication working locally (same pc) is not working on a private VPN that the network administrator say is fully open?

I can start the communication,  can start talking with the server, but the server cannot send back answer on the client port. Timeout on the tcp connection on the client port.
I use different port on the client and server.
I use in this casaevw 7.4.1 because the customer application is using this version.

Last time I used opentalk long time ago (7.3) I had no problem and the remote application is still up and running at that customer site after all this years,.
What I'm missing here? Should be something really stupid...

thanks for any help, I would like to go to sleep...if I can make it run...

Working on windows (both client and remote server) over a VPN managed by OpenVPN.

ciao

Giorgio

Re: opentalk (stupid?) problem

kobetic
Hard to say. I'd start checking things one by one. Are both brokers in the #running state ? Is the client broker listening on any port (use netstat to confirm)? Does the port/address match what the server is trying to connect to. What kind of timeout is it (connection timeout, request timeout) ? Is the connection established ? Did the request go out ? ...

HTH,

Martin

giorgio ferraris wrote:

> hi,
> Someone has some idea on why an opentalk communication working locally
> (same pc) is not working on a private VPN that the network administrator
> say is fully open?
>
> I can start the communication,  can start talking with the server, but
> the server cannot send back answer on the client port. Timeout on the
> tcp connection on the client port.
> I use different port on the client and server.
> I use in this casaevw 7.4.1 because the customer application is using
> this version.
>
> Last time I used opentalk long time ago (7.3) I had no problem and the
> remote application is still up and running at that customer site after
> all this years,.
> What I'm missing here? Should be something really stupid...
>
> thanks for any help, I would like to go to sleep...if I can make it run...
>
> Working on windows (both client and remote server) over a VPN managed by
> OpenVPN.
>
> ciao
>
> Giorgio

Re: opentalk (stupid?) problem

Roland Wagener
Hi Giorgio

What about routing on the server machine? Your machine has a routing
entry that lets it find the server machine with a specific IP address by
routing packages over the VPN connection. But that does not guarantee
that the server also finds your clients IP address! If the server hasn't
got an enhanced routing table entry for the VPN address range your
client is in, then he tries to find your machine via his other network
interfaces (assume: the normal internet), and fails to send anything back.

Good luck

Roland
--
Roland Wagener * Senior Consultant * [hidden email]
Tel: x49-231-9 75 99-26   Fax: x49-231-9 75 99-20

giorgio ferraris schrieb:

> hi,
> Someone has some idea on why an opentalk communication working locally
> (same pc) is not working on a private VPN that the network administrator
> say is fully open?
>
> I can start the communication,  can start talking with the server, but
> the server cannot send back answer on the client port. Timeout on the
> tcp connection on the client port.
> I use different port on the client and server.
> I use in this casaevw 7.4.1 because the customer application is using
> this version.
>
> Last time I used opentalk long time ago (7.3) I had no problem and the
> remote application is still up and running at that customer site after
> all this years,.
> What I'm missing here? Should be something really stupid...
>
> thanks for any help, I would like to go to sleep...if I can make it run...
>
> Working on windows (both client and remote server) over a VPN managed by
> OpenVPN.
>
> ciao
>
> Giorgio

Re: opentalk (stupid?) problem

giorgiof
Hi, thanks for the answer.

Given my situation, a mismatch of ip address , as suggested by Roland, could be one cause. Thanks for the point, I'll investigate further...

BTW, I have a VNC connection established and running between the two machines, so VNC knows how to manage it rightly...  sob...

go working on...

thanks again

giorgio