optional Parcel load -- how?

Mark Pirogovsky-3
Hello all,

Can parcel detect what environment it loads into  and decide to stop

Here is the problem:
I have an application X ver. 1.1 and 1.1.2.  They both are being
actively used.   They both download update parcels from the server.
However some of the parcels while are OK for ver 1.1 will break the ver
1.1.2.

So I am thinking can I possibly construct the pre load block or
something , to check to see what version it is good for,  and stop

Any ideas anyone ?

Thanks in advance

--Mark

Re: optional Parcel load -- how?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Re: optional Parcel load -- how?

Wouldn't it be easier to keep 1.1 updates separate from 1.1.2 updates? In other words path to retrieve updates would depend on your current version number? That way you can maintain these indefinitely going forward and not have to configure per-parcel compatibility information. Just a thought.

Cheers!

-Boris
(Sent from a BlackBerry)

--Mark

Re: optional Parcel load -- how?

Alan Knight-2
I believe the preload block can return a boolean to indicate this.

At 10:30 AM 4/19/2007, Mark Pirogovsky wrote:
Hello all,

Can parcel detect what environment it loads into  and decide to stop loading itself ?

Here is the problem:
I have an application X ver. 1.1 and 1.1.2.  They both are being actively used.   They both download update parcels from the server. However some of the parcels while are OK for ver 1.1 will break the ver 1.1.2.

So I am thinking can I possibly construct the pre load block or something , to check to see what version it is good for,  and stop loading accordingly ?

Any ideas anyone ?

Thanks in advance

--Mark

--
Alan Knight [|], Cincom Smalltalk Development

"The Static Typing Philosophy: Make it fast. Make it right. Make it run." - Niall Ross

Re: optional Parcel load -- how?

Mark Pirogovsky-3
Judging by the lok of it and reading a comment,
it looks like the preread block is better candidate.

The preloadblock comment indicates that when it runs it is to late to stop:
doPreInstallActionsFrom: aCodeReader
        "Evaluate the preLoadBlock if any. Note that pre-load is a mis-nomer.
         It should really be called pre-install.  It gets run after loading
code from
         some stream and before installing the code in the system...."