order of properties in DistributionMap

cdelaunay
It's a question about the spec of Distribution Map.

We know that the order of properties is fixed and the same across all containers. That is, elements with property A always come before elements with property B.

But, how does one choose the order among properties? In the original VW code, it appears that this order is the increasing order of properties by the size of their corresponding elements.

That is (in the code below): we sort elements in each part according to the importance of their property, importance in increasing order.
part elements: (eachPartElements value sort: [ :a :b | a property importance < b property importance ])

I hope it is clear :)

Cyrille & Simon

Re: order of properties in DistributionMap

Tudor Girba
Yes, the order is given by the size. The idea here is that you always
know that when you see red it is the most prevalent, blue is second etc.

Cheers,
Doru

On 19 Mar 2010, at 16:17, Cyrille Delaunay wrote:

> It's a question about the spec of Distribution Map.
>
> We know that the order of properties is fixed and the same across
> all containers. That is, elements with property A always come before
> elements with property B.
>
> But, how does one choose the order among properties? In the original
> VW code, it appears that this order is the increasing order of
> properties by the size of their corresponding elements.
>
> That is (in the code below): we sort elements in each part according
> to the importance of their property, importance in increasing order.
> part elements: (eachPartElements value sort: [ :a :b | a property
> importance < b property importance ])
>
> I hope it is clear :)
>
> Cyrille & Simon

www.tudorgirba.com

"Obvious things are difficult to teach."

Re: order of properties in DistributionMap

Simon Denier-3

On 20 mars 2010, at 10:46, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Yes, the order is given by the size. The idea here is that you always know that when you see red it is the most prevalent, blue is second etc.

We have seen that for ordering the properties themselves. But if I understand the below code correctly, it seems that the reverse order is taken for the elements within parts.

part elements: (eachPartElements value sort: [ :a :b | a property importance < b property importance ])

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 19 Mar 2010, at 16:17, Cyrille Delaunay wrote:
>
>> It's a question about the spec of Distribution Map.
>>
>> We know that the order of properties is fixed and the same across all containers. That is, elements with property A always come before elements with property B.
>>
>> But, how does one choose the order among properties? In the original VW code, it appears that this order is the increasing order of properties by the size of their corresponding elements.
>>
>> That is (in the code below): we sort elements in each part according to the importance of their property, importance in increasing order.
>> part elements: (eachPartElements value sort: [ :a :b | a property importance < b property importance ])
>>
>> I hope it is clear :)
>>
>> Cyrille & Simon

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Obvious things are difficult to teach."

 Simon

Re: order of properties in DistributionMap

Tudor Girba
Hmm, that is strange indeed. It looks like a bug to me.

Cheers,
Doru

On 20 Mar 2010, at 17:59, Simon Denier wrote:

> On 20 mars 2010, at 10:46, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Yes, the order is given by the size. The idea here is that you
>> always know that when you see red it is the most prevalent, blue is
>> second etc.
>

> We have seen that for ordering the properties themselves. But if I
> understand the below code correctly, it seems that the reverse order
> is taken for the elements within parts.
>
> part elements: (eachPartElements value sort: [ :a :b | a property
> importance < b property importance ])
>

>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 19 Mar 2010, at 16:17, Cyrille Delaunay wrote:
>>
>>> It's a question about the spec of Distribution Map.
>>>
>>> We know that the order of properties is fixed and the same across
>>> all containers. That is, elements with property A always come
>>> before elements with property B.
>>>
>>> But, how does one choose the order among properties? In the
>>> original VW code, it appears that this order is the increasing
>>> order of properties by the size of their corresponding elements.
>>>
>>> That is (in the code below): we sort elements in each part
>>> according to the importance of their property, importance in
>>> increasing order.
>>> part elements: (eachPartElements value sort: [ :a :b | a property
>>> importance < b property importance ])
>>>
>>> I hope it is clear :)
>>>
>>> Cyrille & Simon
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Obvious things are difficult to teach."

> Simon

www.tudorgirba.com

"It's not how it is, it is how we see it."