os-x dashboard widgets and Squeak.

johnmci
Since Dashboard widgets are just HTML, it is of course possible to
have a os-x dashboard widget display
a particular EToy project. However I need an EToy project that is
small in size, does something cute/interesting/useful
and something a user would want on his os-x dashboard desktop.

If anyone can suggest something, please let me know.

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===

Re: os-x dashboard widgets and Squeak.

Aaron Reichow
John,

Does it have to be an eToy project, or would a non-eToy Morph/Morphic
project suffice?

Regards,
   Aaron

On Mar 20, 2007, at 11:10 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> Since Dashboard widgets are just HTML, it is of course possible to
> have a os-x dashboard widget display
> a particular EToy project. However I need an EToy project that is
> small in size, does something cute/interesting/useful
> and something a user would want on his os-x dashboard desktop.
>
> If anyone can suggest something, please let me know.

> =====
> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://
> www.smalltalkconsulting.com
> =====

Re: os-x dashboard widgets and Squeak.

johnmci
A non-etoy project would work. The browser plugin is setup to load a
particular app and image from somewhere.
So we can do things like embed the squeak vm/image/changes within the
Widget, making it fully self contained

Of course using etoys we then just use the squeakland install, and
the widget is only 100K.  Still given that
flight tracker is 2.5MB size is not too much of a concern.

On Mar 20, 2007, at 9:29 PM, Aaron Reichow wrote:

> John,
>
> Does it have to be an eToy project, or would a non-eToy Morph/
> Morphic project suffice?
>
> Regards,
>   Aaron
>
> On Mar 20, 2007, at 11:10 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:
>
>> Since Dashboard widgets are just HTML, it is of course possible to
>> have a os-x dashboard widget display
>> a particular EToy project. However I need an EToy project that is
>> small in size, does something cute/interesting/useful
>> and something a user would want on his os-x dashboard desktop.
>>
>> If anyone can suggest something, please let me know.
>>
>> --
>> ======
>> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
>> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://
>> www.smalltalkconsulting.com
>> ======

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===

Re: os-x dashboard widgets and Squeak.

Scott Wallace-3
Hi, John,

Attached is a modest candidate.  It displays the text currently on
the Mac clipboard in a simple, scrolling pane, and when the clipboard
contents are changed, the widget updates accordingly.

This is in contrast to the os-x Finder's "show clipboard", which
produces a static, brain-damaged clipboard window which does not
update when the clipboard contents change.

For effective use as a Dashboard widget, its "squeak app-window" size
should be just large enough to enclose the little scrolling text pane.

Cheers,

   -- Scott

PS:  Incorporating Sophie's ability to contend with graphical
clipboard contents would be a logical next step.

On Mar 20, 2007, at 9:10 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> Since Dashboard widgets are just HTML, it is of course possible to
> have a os-x dashboard widget display
> a particular EToy project. However I need an EToy project that is
> small in size, does something cute/interesting/useful
> and something a user would want on his os-x dashboard desktop.
>
> If anyone can suggest something, please let me know.

> =====
> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://
> www.smalltalkconsulting.com
> =====

clipboard-sw.001.pr (61K) Download Attachment

Collection ifEmpty:

brad fowlow

Howdy folks.

A bit of collection trivia...

Collection ifEmpty: [ foo ]
returns nil if the collection is not empty,
owing to the placement of the return in

        ifEmpty: aBlock
                "Evaluate the block if I'm empty"
                ^ self isEmpty ifTrue: aBlock

It would be a tad less efficient,
but (I think) more useful to say
        ifEmpty: aBlock
                self isEmpty ifTrue: [ ^ aBlock value ]

returning the original collection if non-empty,
... since this allows expressions such as

        foo := (collection allAfterLast:'@') ifEmpty: [collection].

        This will only work if you add a cumbersome ifNotEmpty:[:c|c]
         to the end, to force the result value to be the non-empty
allAfterLast:

My Squeak (3.8.something, a Croquet image)
has 18 uses of isEmpty:,  none of them using the result.

Of course it's very unlikely anyone would arrange
a platform change of this sort for such a trivial thing.
But the ifEmpty: methods appear to be of later vintage
than a lot of the core of Collection.

And usually, I find that the methods in the basic system
are well thought out to suit a wide range of use patterns;
this seemed like an odd exception.

So... a question for the tidy expression fans....
what's a nice tidy ordered-collection expression for
        everything after x, unless there is no x, in which case all
since I'm probably just looking into my blind spot,
overlooking something obvious.

Regards,
brad

Re: Collection ifEmpty:

Lukas Renggli
> A bit of collection trivia...
>
> Collection ifEmpty: [ foo ]
> returns nil if the collection is not empty,
> owing to the placement of the return in
>
>         ifEmpty: aBlock
>                 "Evaluate the block if I'm empty"
>                 ^ self isEmpty ifTrue: aBlock

I did the same observation some time ago and found it very irritating
that it does not behave the same was as for example the expression

     ^ var ifNil: [ var := 1 ]

does.

I would vote to change that, so that I can write

    ^ var ifEmpty: [ #( 1 ) ]

to be sure to get a collection with at least one element.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Collection ifEmpty:

Andreas.Raab
brad fowlow wrote:
>     ifEmpty: aBlock
>         "Evaluate the block if I'm empty"
>         ^ self isEmpty ifTrue: aBlock
>

> It would be a tad less efficient,
> but (I think) more useful to say
>     ifEmpty: aBlock
>         self isEmpty ifTrue: [ ^ aBlock value ]

Without any doubt, the latter version is what it's meant to be. The
former makes no sense (or rather: as much or as little sense as
Object>>ifNil: would make returning nil when the receiver is non-nil).

Besides, the latter is *more* efficient. That's because ifTrue: gets
inlined in this case but not in the former requiring a real send before
activation of the block whereas in the second version (due to inlining)
no send occurs for ifTrue: (look at the bytecodes to see the difference).

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Collection ifEmpty:

Damien Cassou-3
Please fill in a bug report in bugs.squeak.org

Damien Cassou

Re: os-x dashboard widgets and Squeak.

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 3/21/07 2:39 AM, "John M McIntosh" <[hidden email]>
escribió:

> A non-etoy project would work. The browser plugin is setup to load a
> particular app and image from somewhere.
> So we can do things like embed the squeak vm/image/changes within the
> Widget, making it fully self contained
>
> Of course using etoys we then just use the squeakland install, and
> the widget is only 100K.  Still given that
> flight tracker is 2.5MB size is not too much of a concern.

Look in http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5861 for you see if like or not.
I have many different versions, suited to normal Squeak or reduced Squeak
like SqueakLight and MinimalMorphic.
Off course work in 3.10.
I very glad to suit to any requeriments you send me, as what could browse
folders for picts, what drag and drop of pict into Squeak authomatic start
the puzzle, small pieces , etc.
Always count me for test , but I have only G5 PPC and Tiger, that's why I
don't sign recently.

Edgar

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
¡Probalo ya!
http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

On Mar 21, 2007, at 12:04 AM, Scott Wallace wrote:

> PS:  Incorporating Sophie's ability to contend with graphical
> clipboard contents would be a logical next step.

Well what was missing was the ability to deal with TIFF images since
most things take their JPEGS/PNGS etc and make into TIFF
images to place on the os-x clipboard, but with the quicktime
converter why stuff like that just happens.

Thus likely in the next Sophie build, or via loading the right MC
package in about 24 hours after some windows/macintel testing
yes you can copy/paste from iPhoto into Sophie.

Note there is a TIFF plugin I wrote a number of years ago, but there
has been a lack of interest, likely it *should* become a standard plugin
so that one can deal with TIFF without resorting to QuickTime.
===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===

Squeakers needed in Sydney, or to work remotely

Tansel Ersavas
Blue Plane Pty Ltd is a young dynamic company making its own mark by
developing commercial quality software on the "Blue Plane". All our work is
fun, challenging and unique.

We are looking for Squeakers ideally located in Sydney, Australia to work on
Squeak based commercial projects.

Challenges include but are not limited to:

. Contribute to enhancement and maintenance of Squeak based systems
 .Porting Squeak code from 3.4 to current versions
 .Writing and improving SUnit tests, testing using SUnit
 .Working with remote objects using rST and the like (recent rST exposure
would be great!).
 .Enhancing Squeak to create an environment more suitable for commercial
apps

Also the following experience/knowledge would be well regarded:
 .Comanche
 .Seaside
 .Monticello
 .serial communications, bluetooth, TCP/IP, real time communications
 .Croquet
 .VM level programming, plug-ins, FFI
 .Persistent object systems
 .some artistic abilities and/or an artistic eye
 .3D Modeling/animation

Pay is dismal and the job is initially only part time, but future could be
very rewarding. Currently we are having negotiations with several large
companies, with the possibility for significant projects to be awarded to
us. This would lead an immediate need for full time Squeak roles. Preference
would naturally be given to those who have already participated or are
involved in our work.

Our first round of Squeakers would ideally be based in Sydney, but we would
also consider candidates who are equipped with fast reliable connection to
the net willing to work remotely (may include working or staying up odd
hours sometimes considering time difference). A reasonable level of English
is a requirement. Being fluent in other languages sufficiently enough to
help us translate our systems to those languages would be a plus. There will
be opportunities to work/move to Australia if need be and also the
possibility to stay remote and be a part of the remote Blue Plane developer
network.

If you are interested please contact either myself or John Magnifico (john
(at) blueplane.com.au) with whatever details, material, example code,
martial arts, dancing, instrument playing, singing experience, etc that you
see fit to make us say "wow, gotta work with him/her".

Tansel

Re: Squeakers needed in Sydney, or to work remotely

Noury Bouraqadi
Hi Tansel,

I put your offer on my page dedicated to Smalltalk jobs
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury/SmalltalkJobAndInternshipOffers

Regards,
Noury
Le 16 mai 07 à 16:25, Tansel a écrit :

> [...]
> odd
> hours sometimes considering time difference). A reasonable level of
> English
> is a requirement. Being fluent in other languages sufficiently
> enough to
> help us translate our systems to those languages would be a plus.
> There will
> be opportunities to work/move to Australia if need be and also the
> possibility to stay remote and be a part of the remote Blue Plane
> developer
> network.
>
> If you are interested please contact either myself or John
> Magnifico (john
> (at) blueplane.com.au) with whatever details, material, example code,
> martial arts, dancing, instrument playing, singing experience, etc
> that you
> see fit to make us say "wow, gotta work with him/her".

Noury
Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
Responsable de l'option I.S.I.C.
ARMINES - Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. I.A.
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury

European Smalltalk Users Group Board
http://www.esug.org

El 5/25/07 1:11 PM, "Noury Bouraqadi" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> [...]
>> enough to
>> help us translate our systems to those languages would be a plus.
>> There will
>> be opportunities to work/move to Australia if need be and also the
>> possibility to stay remote and be a part of the remote Blue Plane
>> developer
>> network.
>>
>> If you are interested please contact either myself or John
>> Magnifico (john
>> (at) blueplane.com.au) with whatever details, material, example code,
>> martial arts, dancing, instrument playing, singing experience, etc
>> that you
>> see fit to make us say "wow, gotta work with him/her".
>>
>> Tansel
>>

> Noury
> Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
> Responsable de l'option I.S.I.C.
> ARMINES - Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. I.A.

Tansel and Noury.

I wish this badly, can you give me a mail address for ask ?

To all my know work in community I could add I know a fine Sidney
Smalltalker in person when he visit Argentina  some time ago.

Edgar

Re: Squeakers needed in Sydney, or to work remotely

stephane ducasse
Hi tansel

if you get fix for squeak please post them.

Stef

On 16 mai 07, at 16:25, Tansel wrote:

> [...]
> English
> is a requirement. Being fluent in other languages sufficiently
> enough to
> help us translate our systems to those languages would be a plus.
> There will
> be opportunities to work/move to Australia if need be and also the
> possibility to stay remote and be a part of the remote Blue Plane
> developer
> network.
>
> If you are interested please contact either myself or John
> Magnifico (john
> (at) blueplane.com.au) with whatever details, material, example code,
> martial arts, dancing, instrument playing, singing experience, etc
> that you
> see fit to make us say "wow, gotta work with him/her".
>
> Tansel

RE: Squeakers needed in Sydney, or to work remotely

Hi Edgar,

I forwarded mail details to you privately.

Noury thank you very much for putting our note to your site.

A contact with a Sydney Smalltalker would be much appreciated. If anyone
could cross post our message to Smalltalk lists you know I would appreciate
it.
By the way there were a great number of fine Squeakers in Argentina, we
don't hear much from many of them lately. Hope we haven't lost them.

Tansel

> [...]

>> (at) blueplane.com.au) with whatever details, material, example code,
>> martial arts, dancing, instrument playing, singing experience, etc
>> that you
>> see fit to make us say "wow, gotta work with him/her".
>>
>> Tansel
>>

> Noury
> Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
> Responsable de l'option I.S.I.C.
> ARMINES - Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. I.A.
> http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury
>
> European Smalltalk Users Group Board
> http://www.esug.org

Tansel and Noury.

I wish this badly, can you give me a mail address for ask ?

To all my know work in community I could add I know a fine Sidney
Smalltalker in person when he visit Argentina  some time ago.

Edgar

RE: Squeakers needed in Sydney, or to work remotely

Hi Stef,

We are using a minimal and reliable core of Squeak 3.4. We haven't really
found a serious bug so far. However plan to switch to the latest version in
the next few months and we are a lot more likely to find some. I am sure
we'll be much more active in the list then reporting and resolving these.

Cheers