out of temporary memory in fastcgi adaptor

out of temporary memory in fastcgi adaptor

Johan Brichau-2
Hi,

I'm running into problems with an out-of-memory error bringing the fastcgi adapter gem down.
I highly suspect this is because of the size of the http response being generated. There are certain places in our application that can potentially lead to quite large http responses being returned.

This leaves me wondering if I should just increase the temp object space size for the entire system, or if I should include a mechanism like 'commit-on-almost-out-of-memory'.

At this time, the FastCGI adaptor simply quits. I would at least prefer that the entire adaptor does not have to be restarted.

Any ideas are appreciated ;-)

Johan

Re: out of temporary memory in fastcgi adaptor

Dale Henrichs
On 03/22/2011 08:13 AM, Johan Brichau wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running into problems with an out-of-memory error bringing the fastcgi adapter gem down.
> I highly suspect this is because of the size of the http response being generated. There are certain places in our application that can potentially lead to quite large http responses being returned.
>
> This leaves me wondering if I should just increase the temp object space size for the entire system, or if I should include a mechanism like 'commit-on-almost-out-of-memory'.
>
> At this time, the FastCGI adaptor simply quits. I would at least prefer that the entire adaptor does not have to be restarted.
>
> Any ideas are appreciated ;-)
>
> Johan

Johan,

It might make sense for you to bump up the size of the temp obj cache
... the vm uses memory mapping so that pages are loaded into real memory
on demand and then shrunk when no longer needed, so there isn't a real
penalty for having a larger tempobj cache...

If you use the common-on-almost-out-of-memory, you run a risk of
committing partial data structures during your request handling and also
you are exposed to commit conflicts that have to be dealt with cleanly
so increasing the tempobj cache is a better solution ...

Dale