overcommitted

Ben Coman
Just to inform you, against my best intentions I am currently
overcommitted - with work requiring 12 hour shifts for a series of
shutdowns tying in 11kV power systems, while at the same time I am
trying to complete my masters project.  With the little time between
these needed for my family, something had give and unfortunately it is
my updating PBE1 to Pharo 1.4.  This will continue through to the end of
the year, when I hope to have a chance to try again.

regards -Ben

Re: overcommitted

LogiqueWerks
then I must get myself back in some role on this PBE task ... Serge S ?

  ( though I so dislike teX and its markup and its toolset - I have
them on my office desktop and maybe the updates have improved their
usability ;-)

  and, yes, I have one good friend left from old unix days who lives
and breathes teX ... lay, pc, ... my nightmare would be for unix to
pass into history but for teX to remain,  To each his own nightmares
;-)

none of my old PBE edits ever got merged in git as I recall  ( and,
no, I am not suggesting google "drive" ;-)

but, oh, for a croquet/cobalt edits collab environment ...

PS -  I am now lone (?) fanatic about string-oriented ObjectIcon at
code.google.com/p/objecticon with limited backtracking and
co-expressions ... as it is Unicode ... and so now is UNICON on
sourceforge.net - but even latter only has ( had ? ) one major US govt
user that I am aware of ... almost dead?

Although strings and texts and paragraphs are visual objects and there
are TextShapes, my fave Curl web markup language, Curl, (curl.com)
remains only as string-oriented as REGEX - despite having macros ...
! But if I work on a library there, I cannot help with PBE -;)

PEG-equivalent string parsing Rebol (2.7.6) may rise again as the Red
language ( red-lang.org ).  And Oz ?  Mercury remains active -
generating C, erlang ...

( on-going expression-based language + rules lament ... dirge ... )

Will Smalltalk yet evolve a useful document editing dialect decoupled
from version control and (separate concern!) release management?  Is
it one or more already ? By co-ordinating with a "valet" process which
uses rules with some backtracking ?

On 29 July 2012 09:51,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just to inform you, against my best intentions I am currently overcommitted
> - with work requiring 12 hour shifts for a series of shutdowns tying in 11kV
> power systems, while at the same time I am trying to complete my masters
> project.  With the little time between these needed for my family, something
> had give and unfortunately it is my updating PBE1 to Pharo 1.4.  This will
> continue through to the end of the year, when I hope to have a chance to try
> again.
>
> regards -Ben

Re: overcommitted

Ben Coman
I should add, I got as far as completing the first chapter, which can be pulled from [1]. Check out [2] to get started.

[1] https://github.com/bencoman/PharoByExample-english
[2] http://blog.openinworld.com/2012/05/contributing-to-pbe/

Robert Shiplett wrote:
then I must get myself back in some role on this PBE task ... Serge S ?

On 29 July 2012 09:51,  [hidden email] wrote:

Just to inform you, against my best intentions I am currently overcommitted
- with work requiring 12 hour shifts for a series of shutdowns tying in 11kV
power systems, while at the same time I am trying to complete my masters
project.  With the little time between these needed for my family, something
had give and unfortunately it is my updating PBE1 to Pharo 1.4.  This will
continue through to the end of the year, when I hope to have a chance to try
again.

regards -Ben

Re: overcommitted

stephane ducasse
thanks ben
I hope somebody will integrate your changes.

Stef