package extensions in Pharo 7.

Paul DeBruicker
Hi -

Is there a way to create the protocol, then convert it to an extension, without adding a method to it between the time I create the protocol and convert it to an extension?  Seems like it if the protocol is empty when I convert it to an extension it gets deleted rather than converted.

Would anyone be interested in having the thing that parses protocol names automatically create extension protocols from names that start with * instead of rejecting them immediately?

IS the new extension stuff cross platform compatible right now or do I have to do anything else to port these methods & protocols to Squeak and GemStone?

Thanks

Paul

Re: package extensions in Pharo 7.

Denis Kudriashov
Hi Paul.

вс, 3 февр. 2019 г., 19:57 PAUL DEBRUICKER [hidden email]:
Hi -

Is there a way to create the protocol, then convert it to an extension, without adding a method to it between the time I create the protocol and convert it to an extension?

No.
In Calypso there is no such thing as extension protocol. There is explicit packaging of methods. When you create method you can toggle extension checkbox in status bar and select a package where method should be created. Same procedure can be applied on existing method.

I tried to avoid star convention when I designed Calypso. I think it is a ugly hack because package is not a protocol. But seems it is badly accepted by people. So it could be reverted at some point. But I believe it is better to improve/fix things which does not work well with current approach.

Seems like it if the protocol is empty when I convert it to an extension it gets deleted rather than converted.

It needs to be improved to avoid such confusion

Would anyone be interested in having the thing that parses protocol names automatically create extension protocols from names that start with * instead of rejecting them immediately?

IS the new extension stuff cross platform compatible right now or do I have to do anything else to port these methods & protocols to Squeak and GemStone?

 Calypso only touches UI. Nothing is changed on how extension sources are stored in files. It's stil based on star protocols. So it is compatible

Thanks

Paul

Re: package extensions in Pharo 7.

hernanmd

El mar., 5 feb. 2019 a las 8:07, Denis Kudriashov (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Hi Paul.

вс, 3 февр. 2019 г., 19:57 PAUL DEBRUICKER [hidden email]:
Hi -

Is there a way to create the protocol, then convert it to an extension, without adding a method to it between the time I create the protocol and convert it to an extension?

No.
In Calypso there is no such thing as extension protocol. There is explicit packaging of methods. When you create method you can toggle extension checkbox in status bar and select a package where method should be created. Same procedure can be applied on existing method.

I tried to avoid star convention when I designed Calypso.

Thank you for this, IMO the star was annoying

Cheers,

Hernán

Re: package extensions in Pharo 7.

Paul DeBruicker
Thanks Denis

Denis Kudriashov wrote
> Hi Paul.
>
> вс, 3 февр. 2019 г., 19:57 PAUL DEBRUICKER

> pdebruic@

> :
>
>> Hi -
>>

>> Is there a way to create the protocol, then convert it to an extension,
>> without adding a method to it between the time I create the protocol and
>> convert it to an extension?
>

> No.
> In Calypso there is no such thing as extension protocol. There is explicit
> packaging of methods. When you create method you can toggle extension
> checkbox in status bar and select a package where method should be
> created.
> Same procedure can be applied on existing method.
>
> I tried to avoid star convention when I designed Calypso. I think it is a
> ugly hack because package is not a protocol. But seems it is badly
> accepted
> by people. So it could be reverted at some point. But I believe it is
> better to improve/fix things which does not work well with current
> approach.

I don't really care about the star-prefix or internal structure of how
protocols are represented, as long as its not laborious to port methods to
GemStone/Squeak.

Could the 'create new protocol dialog' could be smarter and if a star is
typed first then the autocomplete switches to a list of packages, like you
already have/show in the 'convert to extension' dialog?

I understand Calypso has  a new workflow for creating extension protocols
and managing protocols in general.  Seems like there's gotta be a way to
avoid traversing from the method list to the bottom of the code pane when
editing a method or group of methods protocol. I'll practice more with it
today though.

> Seems like it if the protocol is empty when I convert it to an extension
> it
>> gets deleted rather than converted.
>

> It needs to be improved to avoid such confusion

Or just maybe not immediately delete the thing I just created.  Give it a
few minutes.

>> Would anyone be interested in having the thing that parses protocol names
>> automatically create extension protocols from names that start with *
>> instead of rejecting them immediately?
>>

>> IS the new extension stuff cross platform compatible right now or do I
>> have to do anything else to port these methods & protocols to Squeak and
>> GemStone?
>>

>  Calypso only touches UI. Nothing is changed on how extension sources are
> stored in files. It's stil based on star protocols. So it is compatible

Great.  Thanks.