page in latest pier crashes

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

I am having a little problem. I have upgraded humane-assessment.com to the latest Pier/Seaside, but now it crashes constantly.

There is no log, it just crashes.

I suspect it has something to do with a memory leak. Any idea of what can cause this issue? Or how I could investigate it?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
you will end up with a messy haircut."

Re: page in latest pier crashes

Lukas Renggli
I don't see how a memory leak would lead to a crash, unless your
application really consumes a lot of memory (you could observe that
with top/htop).

Are you using Cog? If so, this VM creates a crash.dmp file containing
quite valuable information.

Did you try reload all packages and recompile the whole image, just to
be sure that all code is in consistent state?

What version of Pharo are you on? If you are on Pharo 1.4 (and also to
some extent 1.3) you are on untested territories.

Lukas

www.lukas-renggli.ch

On 24 Aug 2011, at 15:14, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> I don't see how a memory leak would lead to a crash, unless your
> application really consumes a lot of memory (you could observe that
> with top/htop).

Nothing is observable when it runs.

> Are you using Cog? If so, this VM creates a crash.dmp file containing
> quite valuable information.

I am using Cog for linux:
http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2489/

There is no crash.dmp either in the image or in the vm folder.

> Did you try reload all packages and recompile the whole image, just to
> be sure that all code is in consistent state?

No.

> What version of Pharo are you on? If you are on Pharo 1.4 (and also to
> some extent 1.3) you are on untested territories.

At the moment, I am using Pharo 1.2.1 (12345).

Cheers,
Doru

> Lukas
>
> On 24 August 2011 15:03, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am having a little problem. I have upgraded humane-assessment.com to the latest Pier/Seaside, but now it crashes constantly.
>>
>> There is no log, it just crashes.
>>
>> I suspect it has something to do with a memory leak. Any idea of what can cause this issue? Or how I could investigate it?
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
>> you will end up with a messy haircut."

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

www.tudorgirba.com

"Yesterday is a fact.
 Tomorrow is a possibility.
 Today is a challenge."

Re: page in latest pier crashes

Nick
Hi Doru,

I often inadvertantly cause infinite recursion by missing a "^" from one of my methods, which results in the image crashing. Could it be that you've changed some code recently that could be causing a recursion bug?

Nick

Re: page in latest pier crashes

Lukas Renggli
>> Are you using Cog? If so, this VM creates a crash.dmp file containing
>> quite valuable information.
>
> I am using Cog for linux:
> http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2489/

The site is down for me right now, but I suspect this is one of the latest?

I experienced random crashes (I thought it was related to method
wrappers though) in the last few VMs too. So you might want to use an
older one, see the thread with the subject " [squeak-dev] new Cog VMs
available".

>> Did you try reload all packages and recompile the whole image, just to
>> be sure that all code is in consistent state?
>
> No.

Do it then :-)

Monticello still has bugs related to shuffling around variables.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch