parse iCalendar (rfc2445) recurrence rules into a Schedule?

parse iCalendar (rfc2445) recurrence rules into a Schedule?

Paul DeBruicker
Hi -

Is there a package that will convert an iCalendar (*.ics file, rfe2445)
VEVENT and its recurrence/exclusion rules/dates into a Schedule in pharo
or squeak or gemstone?

I've seen the iCal package on Squeaksource but it doesn't seem to
interpret the RRULEs into anything other than their constituent parts.

Thanks

Paul

Re: parse iCalendar (rfc2445) recurrence rules into a Schedule?

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi paul

I do not know if there is a parser. What I know is that the package on ss was developed during lecture I gave at bern and
used in DabbleDB (I do not know if they extended it - probably).

Stef

On Dec 6, 2012, at 8:11 PM, Paul DeBruicker wrote:

> Hi -
>
> Is there a package that will convert an iCalendar (*.ics file, rfe2445)
> VEVENT and its recurrence/exclusion rules/dates into a Schedule in pharo
> or squeak or gemstone?
>

> I've seen the iCal package on Squeaksource but it doesn't seem to
> interpret the RRULEs into anything other than their constituent parts.
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul

Re: parse iCalendar (rfc2445) recurrence rules into a Schedule?

Paul DeBruicker
Hi Stef,

Thanks for getting back to me.  That library does 90% of what I want so
I'll take a look at adding the last 10% sometime.

was just hoping to be able to skip adding the last 10%

Paul

On Dec 7, 2012, at 8:06 PM, Paul DeBruicker wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>

> Thanks for getting back to me.  That library does 90% of what I want so
> I'll take a look at adding the last 10% sometime.
>
> was just hoping to be able to skip adding the last 10%

:)

But now thinking about it, there was a project to add rules to calendar and I wonder if there was not a parser.
http://www.esug.org/wiki/pier/Promotion/PastActions

there iCal support but I do not know where the code is. Probably on squeak source

> Paul
>
> On 12/06/2012 01:21 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> Hi paul
>>
>> I do not know if there is a parser. What I know is that the package on ss was developed during lecture I gave at bern and
>> used in DabbleDB (I do not know if they extended it - probably).
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Dec 6, 2012, at 8:11 PM, Paul DeBruicker wrote:
>>
>>> Hi -
>>>
>>> Is there a package that will convert an iCalendar (*.ics file, rfe2445)
>>> VEVENT and its recurrence/exclusion rules/dates into a Schedule in pharo
>>> or squeak or gemstone?
>>>

>>> I've seen the iCal package on Squeaksource but it doesn't seem to
>>> interpret the RRULEs into anything other than their constituent parts.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Paul

Re: parse iCalendar (rfc2445) recurrence rules into a Schedule?

Hi paul

I looked around and I found
        iCalendar, vCalendar and vCard
I imagine that this is the one you found. And indeed Yann Monclair worked on ical.

On 12/07/2012 12:04 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> Hi paul
>
> I looked around and I found
> iCalendar, vCalendar and vCard
> I imagine that this is the one you found. And indeed Yann Monclair worked on ical.
>
> Stef

I uploaded a version of the ICal package that successfully parses and
enumerates occurrences of events from .ics files.  The tests primarily
come from all of the RRULE examples in the RFC2445 spec here:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2445#page-117  It does match the output
from those tests and does work with exports from Google Calendar.  I've
not tried with Outlook etc.  I expect it to work with those.

I haven't started actually using it but plan to in the next couple days
and will probably make some convenience additions to the ICEvent class
to test for and get enumerated dates.

I also made a Configuration and put it here:

http://www.squeaksource.com/ical and in the
http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository

> On Dec 6, 2012, at 8:11 PM, Paul DeBruicker wrote:
>
>> Hi -
>>
>> Is there a package that will convert an iCalendar (*.ics file, rfe2445)
>> VEVENT and its recurrence
>> /exclusion rules/dates into a Schedule in pharo
>> or squeak or gemstone?
>>

>> I've seen the iCal package on Squeaksource but it doesn't seem to
>> interpret the RRULEs into anything other than their constituent parts.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Paul

Re: parse iCalendar (rfc2445) recurrence rules into a Schedule?

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks this is great to see more configurations :)
I love that. Because this is our weapon against complexity.
We are working on a tool to help building and updating configurations and soon we will need beta testers :)

Stef