pen trail as object (in OLPC)

Randy Heiland
I was revisiting this issue - wanting to have my drawn pen trail become an object, and I dug up this post:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.squeakland/869

Are these directions still basically true for the OLPC etoys, i.e. do I need to resort to writing a textual script?

thanks, Randy

RE : pen trail as object (in OLPC)

Dreyfuss Pierre-André (EDUM)

Hi,
If you just want a pen trail as an object, an easy way is to use the lasso,available from the object catalog/ category graphics. Object catalog is the first button of the objects flap(icon box on the right).

move the lasso around your trace, to make the background transparent, use either the paint halo of the sketch or
or halo menu/painting.../erase pixels of color..
Regards

RE : pen trail as object (in OLPC)

Dreyfuss Pierre-André (EDUM)

There is an other solution.
Use a lineMorph instead of penTrail.

Get object catalog from box flap.
Get a line in category graphics.

get an ellipse

The line has a category polygon in the script viewer
You'll find there all you need for creating a new vertex, putting it at the position of the ellipse.
move the ellipse and create a new vertex, put it at the position of the ellipse ... and so on
 The line is the wanted object and has the wanted shape !

Here are the scripts  for getting a circle.

Player118 -- 1 instance, nommé Ligne
Player119 -- 1 instance, nommé Ellipse

Ligne. scripts :

Ligne.newposition
        self appendVertex.
        self setVertexCursor: self getVerticesCount.
        self setXAtCursor: Ellipse getX.
        self setYAtCursor: Ellipse getY

Ligne.init
        self removeAllButCursor.
        self setXAtCursor: Ellipse getX.
        self setYAtCursor: Ellipse getY
Ellipse. scripts :

Ellipse.script1
        self forward: 5.
        self turn: 5.
        Ligne newposition

Download the project:
http://ofset.org:8000/super/uploads/lineTrack.002.pr

Regards.

RE : RE : pen trail as object (in OLPC)

Dreyfuss Pierre-André (EDUM)

if you are using the line object way, you get a line object with the shape of the trail.
It is no more a trail painted by the object. This means that you have to change the properties of the line object.

To change the color of the line, either use the color halo (magenta)or the line's borderColor tile (category fill & border ).
For the width, use the line's borderWidth tile (category fill & border ).
See the example project

http://ofset.org:8000/super/uploads/Olpc-polygones.003.pr

Regards
Thank you once again for your reply, Pierre-Andre.  You helped
provide details of what Alan had earlier suggested, I think.  I must
admit I still find it a bit confusing.  I basically repeated your
project - using a Line and Circle from the Graphics category of the
Objects Catalog.  However, I could never change the pen size of the
drawn polygon.  Is it not possible using this approach?  Similarly, I
tried to change the color - both the penColor (pen use category) and
in the color category, but could not.

-Randy

On Sep 8, 2007, at 5:37 PM, Dreyfuss Pierre-André (EDU) wrote:

> There is an other solution.
> Use a lineMorph instead of penTrail.
>

> Get object catalog from box flap.
> Get a line in category graphics.
>
> get an ellipse
>
> The line has a category polygon in the script viewer
> You'll find there all you need for creating a new vertex, putting
> it at the position of the ellipse.
> move the ellipse and create a new vertex, put it at the position of
> the ellipse ... and so on
>  The line is the wanted object and has the wanted shape !
>
> Here are the scripts  for getting a circle.
>

> Player118 -- 1 instance, nommé Ligne
> Player119 -- 1 instance, nommé Ellipse

> ----------------------
> Ligne. scripts :
>
> Ligne.newposition
> self appendVertex.
> self setVertexCursor: self getVerticesCount.
> self setXAtCursor: Ellipse getX.
> self setYAtCursor: Ellipse getY
>
> Ligne.init
> self removeAllButCursor.
> self setXAtCursor: Ellipse getX.
> self setYAtCursor: Ellipse getY
> ----------------------
> Ellipse. scripts :
>
> Ellipse.script1
> self forward: 5.
> self turn: 5.
> Ligne newposition
>

> Download the project:
> http://ofset.org:8000/super/uploads/lineTrack.002.pr
>
> Regards.

Re: RE : RE : pen trail as object (in OLPC)

Karl-19
Dreyfuss Pierre-André (EDU) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> if you are using the line object way, you get a line object with the shape of the trail.
> It is no more a trail painted by the object. This means that you have to change the properties of the line object.
>

> To change the color of the line, either use the color halo (magenta)or the line's borderColor tile (category fill & border ).
> For the width, use the line's borderWidth tile (category fill & border ).
> See the example project
>
> http://ofset.org:8000/super/uploads/Olpc-polygones.003.pr

Nice.
And you can close the polygon to make it fill with color.

Karl

> Regards

K. K. Subramaniam
On Sunday 09 September 2007 5:19 am, Randy Heiland wrote:
> Thank you once again for your reply, Pierre-Andre.  You helped
> provide details of what Alan had earlier suggested, I think.  I must
> admit I still find it a bit confusing.  I basically repeated your
> project - using a Line and Circle from the Graphics category of the
> Objects Catalog.  However, I could never change the pen size of the
> drawn polygon.  Is it not possible using this approach?  Similarly, I
> tried to change the color - both the penColor (pen use category) and
> in the color category, but could not.
Since the Line is tracking the Circle's pen movement, set its width to the
Circle's pen size and its color to the Circle's pen color. The pen of the
Line object is not used in this case because the Line itself represents the
visible part of the trail.

Hope this helps .. Subbu

Re: pen trail as object (in OLPC)

Scott Wallace
Hi, Randy,

Load updates in an eToys2.1 image, then look in the "pen trails"
category of a playfield's viewer...

Cheers,

   -- Scott

On Sep 5, 2007, at 5:06 PM, Randy Heiland wrote:

> I was revisiting this issue - wanting to have my drawn pen trail
> become an object, and I dug up this post:
> http://article.gmane.org/
> gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.squeakland/869
>
> Are these directions still basically true for the OLPC etoys, i.e.
> do I need to resort to writing a textual script?
>
> thanks, Randy

Re: pen trail as object (in OLPC)

Randy Heiland
Scott,

I'm not following you.  First, I *think* I've updated my latest image, but that itself seems more challenging than the old etoys (where, I seem to recall, there was a 'help' in the main menu that would update from the server).  Now, it seems, I use the main menu to go to the Prefs where I can set 'updateFromServerAtStartup'.  Regardless, I'm now using etoys2.1 #1565

However, when I open the "pen trails" category of a playfield's viewer like you say, all I see are tiles for clear, lift, lower, and trailStyle.  Nothing that would seem to help me turn the pen trails into objects.

-Randy

On Sep 11, 2007, at 12:27 AM, Scott Wallace wrote:

Hi, Randy,

Load updates in an eToys2.1 image, then look in the "pen trails" category of a playfield's viewer...

Cheers,

  -- Scott

On Sep 5, 2007, at 5:06 PM, Randy Heiland wrote:

I was revisiting this issue - wanting to have my drawn pen trail become an object, and I dug up this post:

Are these directions still basically true for the OLPC etoys, i.e. do I need to resort to writing a textual script?

thanks, Randy

Re: pen trail as object (in OLPC)

Scott Wallace
Hi, Randy,

You've got to be at update level 1610 or later to see the changes.

If you're operating with "eToyFriendly" turned on, hit cmd-shift-W to
get the "world" menu, where you're then find the familiar "help"
submenu that will allow you to load updates.

Cheers,

  -- Scott