permissions system use-cases

LawsonEnglish
  I guess a better way to ask my questions is to give a series of use cases.

I've tried this with the one-click Seaside 3.0 final with Pier2
installed and with Squeak 4.1 with Seaside 3.0 and Pier2 installed. I
installed pier on both via ConfigurationOfPier2 and
ConfigurationofPierAddOns2  and still can't figure it out...

Most important use case right now:

have a group that is allowed to add new blog posts, as well as comment
on existing blog posts, but can't otherwise affect the Pier installation.

I honestly can't figure out how to do this.

Thanks.

Lawson

Re: permissions system use-cases

Lukas Renggli
The security model follows very closely what Linux does with users and
groups on the filesystem.

In your case I suggest that you create a group 'blogger' and change
the group of the blog to 'blogger' with add, edit and view permission.

Also check the FAQ: http://www.piercms.com/doc/faq#123252300

And the mailing-list archive:
http://www.google.ch/search?&q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.iam.unibe.ch%2Fpipermail%2Fsmallwiki+unix+security

Lukas

On 26 September 2010 19:02, Lawson English <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  I guess a better way to ask my questions is to give a series of use cases.
>
> I've tried this with the one-click Seaside 3.0 final with Pier2 installed
> and with Squeak 4.1 with Seaside 3.0 and Pier2 installed. I installed pier
> on both via ConfigurationOfPier2 and ConfigurationofPierAddOns2  and still
> can't figure it out...
>

> Most important use case right now:
>

> have a group that is allowed to add new blog posts, as well as comment on
> existing blog posts, but can't otherwise affect the Pier installation.
>
> I honestly can't figure out how to do this.
>

> Thanks.
>

> Lawson

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

  On 9/26/10 10:41 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> The security model follows very closely what Linux does with users and
> groups on the filesystem.
>
> In your case I suggest that you create a group 'blogger' and change
> the group of the blog to 'blogger' with add, edit and view permission.
>
> Also check the FAQ: http://www.piercms.com/doc/faq#123252300
>
> And the mailing-list archive:
> http://www.google.ch/search?&q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.iam.unibe.ch%2Fpipermail%2Fsmallwiki+unix+security

Thanks for trying to help. However, I thought I could expand the design
one step at a time, and that doesn't seem to be the case.

What I eventually need, is a way for anyone in the blogger group to
create, and edit their own blogs, while everyone else can only comment
on them. It would be OK if the admin had to create the root blog to
which each blogger's blog posts were added.

So, there would be a tree of blogs coming off of a page that listed each
blog. WIthin the Blogs tree, everyone would have the ability to comment
on a blog, even people who hadn't logged in. Only blogger group members
could comment on comments. and only the user blogger1 could edit blogs
from blogger1.

Blogs:
     blogger1: <= original Blog
         blogger1post1
             comment1:
                 comment1a:
                 comment1b:
     blogger2: <= copy of original Blog
     blogger3: <= copy of original Blog

I tried to move the original "Blog"  and rename it so that I could have
a Blog root page above it, and just copy the original Blog page for each
new Blog. But that didn't quite work as I expected. Just adding a new
blog to "Blogs" and setting the environment to _blogenvenironment didn't
work as I had hoped either.

E.G.
1) archive doesn't work except for the original blog.
2) the comments link only works for the original blog.

I'm under the impression that your example isn't quite set up to do
this, am I correct?

Any suggestions on how to set up what I want to do?

  On 9/26/10 4:22 PM, Lawson English wrote:

> Any suggestions on how to set up what I want to do?

I'm getting a little closer, I think. I had assumed that everything was
done through the web interface, but the actual Blog  is set up by
PRDistribution. It should be possible to devise a Blog factory page in
PRDistribution that creates a Blog as a child when specific criteria are
met. Maybe a dictionary of Blogs, indexed by members of a specific
group, and a group member could create their own blog by going to the
root page and typing in their name if their blog doesnt already exist,
and anyone could select from that list to visit a specific blog. The
Archive component should work as expected for each blog. Not sure how to
create a Meta-Archive component, but hopefully it will be obvious by the
time I get that far.

Thanks for your help. Finally (hopefully) starting to "get" how this
stuff works.

Lawson