Re: perspective request for those earningalivingfromSmalltalk

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 10-11-17 17:56, Prof. Andrew P. Black wrote:
>
>> On 6 Nov 2017, at 21:00 , Andrew Glynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Btw, did Self ever work?  

Self works fine. I played with it on a mac last year. I think Tobias
Pape released a new version last year or so.

Stephan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: perspective request for thoseearningalivingfromSmalltalk

aglynn42
In reply to this post by Prof. Andrew P. Black

Yea, I tried a really early version and it slipped my mind to ever get back to it – I did use NewtonScript a bit – I was one  of the few that liked the Newton, probably because I hate talking on the phone, lol.  It was pretty good on the last release of the Newton.  I still have it somewhere but I put it in a box in my last move and haven’t come across it again.  I like the iPhone ok, but I rarely answer calls, I use it as anything but a phone.

Planning to run up a version if I can get one that will run on Solaris 11, or at least I can rebuild the VM for it  – I have a couple of T2000’s and a couple of T5120’s – 64 threads and 64GB RAM should be plenty 😉.  Right now a bit short of time for just playing though.

Andrew Glynn

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Friday, November 10, 2017 11:57 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Pharo-users] perspective request for thoseearningalivingfromSmalltalk

> On 6 Nov 2017, at 21:00 , Andrew Glynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

>

> Btw, did Self ever work?  At all?  The last I remember it was in a similar state to Electron without the M$ adds in Visual Studio, i.e. the samples from the site don’t build.

Self worked fine.  It was a bit memory-hungry on the machines of the early 1990s, but I taught a class on OOP using it in about 1996 or 1997. 

The NewtonScript language for the ill-fated Newton tablet was essentially Self.   A bit ahead of its time — it would run fine in today’s mobile phones.

Andrew Black