petit parser

Tudor Girba
Hi,

As you might know, Lukas has created a very nice framework for
building parsers called PetitParser.

This would come as a very nice addition to Moose as it would cover the
weak point of dealing with unknown languages. Thus, I would like to
include it in the default configuration and in the 4.0 release.

I already used it with success in a client project, it comes with many
tests (all green) and it does not conflict with anything in Moose.
Please let me know if you have any objections.

I already created a minimal Moose page with loading instructions:
http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/petitparser

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"One cannot do more than one can do."

Re: petit parser

Stéphane Ducasse
+1

we are considering to include some of his hooks in the next version of pharo.

> As you might know, Lukas has created a very nice framework for building parsers called PetitParser.
>
> This would come as a very nice addition to Moose as it would cover the weak point of dealing with unknown languages. Thus, I would like to include it in the default configuration and in the 4.0 release.
>
> I already used it with success in a client project, it comes with many tests (all green) and it does not conflict with anything in Moose. Please let me know if you have any objections.
>
> I already created a minimal Moose page with loading instructions:
> http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/petitparser
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "One cannot do more than one can do."

Re: petit parser

Simon Denier-3

On 25 févr. 2010, at 12:52, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As you might know, Lukas has created a very nice framework for building parsers called PetitParser.
>
> This would come as a very nice addition to Moose as it would cover the weak point of dealing with unknown languages. Thus, I would like to include it in the default configuration and in the 4.0 release.

glop glop, is there some doc somewhere (I think that Stef is already writing a chapter about that)

> I already used it with success in a client project, it comes with many tests (all green) and it does not conflict with anything in Moose. Please let me know if you have any objections.
>
> I already created a minimal Moose page with loading instructions:
> http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/petitparser
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "One cannot do more than one can do."

 Simon

Re: petit parser

Stéphane Ducasse

On Feb 25, 2010, at 1:29 PM, Simon Denier wrote:

> On 25 févr. 2010, at 12:52, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> As you might know, Lukas has created a very nice framework for building parsers called PetitParser.
>>
>> This would come as a very nice addition to Moose as it would cover the weak point of dealing with unknown languages. Thus, I would like to include it in the default configuration and in the 4.0 release.
>
> glop glop, is there some doc somewhere (I think that Stef is already writing a chapter about that)

no I would love and I would like to push lukas to write something

>> I already used it with success in a client project, it comes with many tests (all green) and it does not conflict with anything in Moose. Please let me know if you have any objections.
>>
>> I already created a minimal Moose page with loading instructions:
>> http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/petitparser
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "One cannot do more than one can do."

> Simon

Re: petit parser

Alexandre Bergel
The idea is good. Which parser generated did you use? From the
classname in the Petit package, I wasn't able to see the list of
available parsers.

Alexandre

On 25 Feb 2010, at 08:52, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As you might know, Lukas has created a very nice framework for
> building parsers called PetitParser.
>
> This would come as a very nice addition to Moose as it would cover
> the weak point of dealing with unknown languages. Thus, I would like
> to include it in the default configuration and in the 4.0 release.
>
> I already used it with success in a client project, it comes with
> many tests (all green) and it does not conflict with anything in
> Moose. Please let me know if you have any objections.
>
> I already created a minimal Moose page with loading instructions:
> http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/petitparser
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "One cannot do more than one can do."

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: petit parser

Tudor Girba
Hi,

> The idea is good. Which parser generated did you use?

I am not sure I understand the question. I created my own parser using
the infrastructure of PetitParser.

> From the classname in the Petit package, I wasn't able to see the
> list of available parsers.

You can spawn a cool Glamour-based browser by:
PPBrowser open.

You will probably see two example parsers: PPArtithmeticParser and
PPLambdaParser. The browser lets you browse the productions, to test
the grammar, and several other perks.

Cheers,
Doru

> Alexandre
>

> On 25 Feb 2010, at 08:52, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> As you might know, Lukas has created a very nice framework for
>> building parsers called PetitParser.
>>
>> This would come as a very nice addition to Moose as it would cover
>> the weak point of dealing with unknown languages. Thus, I would
>> like to include it in the default configuration and in the 4.0
>> release.
>>
>> I already used it with success in a client project, it comes with
>> many tests (all green) and it does not conflict with anything in
>> Moose. Please let me know if you have any objections.
>>
>> I already created a minimal Moose page with loading instructions:
>> http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/petitparser
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "One cannot do more than one can do."

www.tudorgirba.com

"What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"

Re: petit parser

Alexandre Bergel
>> The idea is good. Which parser generated did you use?
>
> I am not sure I understand the question. I created my own parser
> using the infrastructure of PetitParser.

Ah ok! I though you used some already built in parser. I was just
curious.

>> From the classname in the Petit package, I wasn't able to see the
>> list of available parsers.
>
> You can spawn a cool Glamour-based browser by:
> PPBrowser open.
>
> You will probably see two example parsers: PPArtithmeticParser and
> PPLambdaParser. The browser lets you browse the productions, to test
> the grammar, and several other perks.

Ok, I will check this later today.

Cheers,
Alexandre

>> Alexandre
>>

>> On 25 Feb 2010, at 08:52, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> As you might know, Lukas has created a very nice framework for
>>> building parsers called PetitParser.
>>>
>>> This would come as a very nice addition to Moose as it would cover
>>> the weak point of dealing with unknown languages. Thus, I would
>>> like to include it in the default configuration and in the 4.0
>>> release.
>>>
>>> I already used it with success in a client project, it comes with
>>> many tests (all green) and it does not conflict with anything in
>>> Moose. Please let me know if you have any objections.
>>>
>>> I already created a minimal Moose page with loading instructions:
>>> http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/petitparser
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>
>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "One cannot do more than one can do."

>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: petit parser

Lukas Renggli
I've written a short tutorial to get you guys started.

    http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/blog/petitparser-1

It just covers the basics, but actually every class in the package is
commented, every method is covered by tests and most public methods
also have comments. Still, if there is interest I can write a second
part that goes a bit deeper into the dark caves of grammars.

Lukas

On 25 February 2010 14:48, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> The idea is good. Which parser generated did you use?
>>
>> I am not sure I understand the question. I created my own parser using the
>> infrastructure of PetitParser.
>
> Ah ok! I though you used some already built in parser. I was just curious.
>
>>> From the classname in the Petit package, I wasn't able to see the list of
>>> available parsers.
>>
>> You can spawn a cool Glamour-based browser by:
>> PPBrowser open.
>>
>> You will probably see two example parsers: PPArtithmeticParser and
>> PPLambdaParser. The browser lets you browse the productions, to test the
>> grammar, and several other perks.
>
> Ok, I will check this later today.
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>

>>> Alexandre

>>> --
>>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: petit parser

Tudor Girba
Great thanks, Lukas!

Cheers,
Doru

On 25 Feb 2010, at 17:40, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> I've written a short tutorial to get you guys started.
>
>    http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/blog/petitparser-1
>
> It just covers the basics, but actually every class in the package is
> commented, every method is covered by tests and most public methods
> also have comments. Still, if there is interest I can write a second
> part that goes a bit deeper into the dark caves of grammars.
>
> Lukas

>>> I am not sure I understand the question. I created my own parser
>>> using the
>>> infrastructure of PetitParser.
>>
>> Ah ok! I though you used some already built in parser. I was just
>> curious.

>>> You can spawn a cool Glamour-based browser by:
>>> PPBrowser open.
>>>
>>> You will probably see two example parsers: PPArtithmeticParser and
>>> PPLambdaParser. The browser lets you browse the productions, to
>>> test the
>>> grammar, and several other perks.
>>
>> Ok, I will check this later today.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"

>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

www.tudorgirba.com

"Don't give to get. Just give."

Re: petit parser

Simon Denier-3

On 25 févr. 2010, at 17:40, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> I've written a short tutorial to get you guys started.
>
>    http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/blog/petitparser-1
>
> It just covers the basics, but actually every class in the package is
> commented, every method is covered by tests and most public methods
> also have comments. Still, if there is interest I can write a second
> part that goes a bit deeper into the dark caves of grammars.

Thanks Lukas, that looks really really great!

> Lukas

>>> I am not sure I understand the question. I created my own parser using the
>>> infrastructure of PetitParser.
>>
>> Ah ok! I though you used some already built in parser. I was just curious.

>>> You can spawn a cool Glamour-based browser by:
>>> PPBrowser open.
>>>
>>> You will probably see two example parsers: PPArtithmeticParser and
>>> PPLambdaParser. The browser lets you browse the productions, to test the
>>> grammar, and several other perks.
>>
>> Ok, I will check this later today.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"

>> --
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch