pharo 1.1. headless server startup and shutdown

pharo 1.1. headless server startup and shutdown

jhancock
I've found a few tidbits on how to start pharo headless.
I'm using the most recent Pharo-1.1-OneClick.app which works fine for
dev on OS X.  When I try to move this to linux, I get troubles.

To keep things simple, I've copied the pharo.sh script as pharo-headless.sh.

Here is the script:
--- BEGIN ---
#!/bin/sh

# path
ROOT=`dirname $0`
BASE="$ROOT/Contents/Linux"

# execute
exec "$BASE/squeakvm" \
     -plugins "$BASE" -mmap 100m -encoding latin1 \
     -vm-display-X11 -vm-sound-null -headless \
     "$ROOT/Contents/Resources/pharo.image"

--- END ---

On ubuntu 10.04 32-bit I get this:
jhancock@pi1:~/Pharo-1.1-OneClick.app$ ./pharo-headless.sh
libSM.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
could not find module vm-display-X11
Aborted

On ubuntu 8.04 64-bit I get this:
knr@us1:~/Pharo-1.1-OneClick.app$ ./pharo-headless.sh
exec: 15: ./Contents/Linux/squeakvm: not found

I really need to get it running on the ubuntu 8.04 64-bit system.
Once I get past this problem, what is the best method to kill/shutdown
pharo from outside the dev environ?  I don't require to save the image,
just safely kill it so it doesn't hold on to resources like socket
listener, etc...

thanks, Jon

pharo 1.1. headless server startup and shutdown

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Hi Jon,

Did you known about this http://book.seaside.st/book/advanced/deployment ?

Anyway, you should use both -vm-display-null as well as -vm-sound-null
It is also best to invoke the executable itself not its wrapper (but I think you did that).
Futher, it is important that you close all open windows in your image.

Good luck,

Sven

On 30 Nov 2010, at 15:58, Jon Hancock wrote:

> I've found a few tidbits on how to start pharo headless.
> I'm using the most recent Pharo-1.1-OneClick.app which works fine for dev on OS X.  When I try to move this to linux, I get troubles.
>
> To keep things simple, I've copied the pharo.sh script as pharo-headless.sh.
>
> Here is the script:
> --- BEGIN ---
> #!/bin/sh
>
> # path
> ROOT=`dirname $0`
> BASE="$ROOT/Contents/Linux"
>
> # execute
> exec "$BASE/squeakvm" \
>    -plugins "$BASE" -mmap 100m -encoding latin1 \
>    -vm-display-X11 -vm-sound-null -headless \
>    "$ROOT/Contents/Resources/pharo.image"
>
> --- END ---
>
> On ubuntu 10.04 32-bit I get this:
> jhancock@pi1:~/Pharo-1.1-OneClick.app$ ./pharo-headless.sh
> libSM.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> could not find module vm-display-X11
> Aborted
>
> On ubuntu 8.04 64-bit I get this:
> knr@us1:~/Pharo-1.1-OneClick.app$ ./pharo-headless.sh
> exec: 15: ./Contents/Linux/squeakvm: not found
>
> I really need to get it running on the ubuntu 8.04 64-bit system.
> Once I get past this problem, what is the best method to kill/shutdown pharo from outside the dev environ?  I don't require to save the image, just safely kill it so it doesn't hold on to resources like socket listener, etc...
>
> thanks, Jon

Re: pharo 1.1. headless server startup and shutdown

Mariano Martinez Peck
http://forum.world.st/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=1294837&query=could+not+find+module+vm-display-X11

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jon,

Did you known about this http://book.seaside.st/book/advanced/deployment ?

Anyway, you should use both -vm-display-null as well as -vm-sound-null
It is also best to invoke the executable itself not its wrapper (but I think you did that).
Futher, it is important that you close all open windows in your image.

Good luck,

Sven

On 30 Nov 2010, at 15:58, Jon Hancock wrote:

> I've found a few tidbits on how to start pharo headless.
> I'm using the most recent Pharo-1.1-OneClick.app which works fine for dev on OS X.  When I try to move this to linux, I get troubles.
>
> To keep things simple, I've copied the pharo.sh script as pharo-headless.sh.
>
> Here is the script:
> --- BEGIN ---
> #!/bin/sh
>
> # path
> ROOT=`dirname $0`
> BASE="$ROOT/Contents/Linux"
>
> # execute
> exec "$BASE/squeakvm" \
>    -plugins "$BASE" -mmap 100m -encoding latin1 \
>    -vm-display-X11 -vm-sound-null -headless \
>    "$ROOT/Contents/Resources/pharo.image"
>
> --- END ---
>
> On ubuntu 10.04 32-bit I get this:
> jhancock@pi1:~/Pharo-1.1-OneClick.app$ ./pharo-headless.sh
> libSM.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> could not find module vm-display-X11
> Aborted
>
> On ubuntu 8.04 64-bit I get this:
> knr@us1:~/Pharo-1.1-OneClick.app$ ./pharo-headless.sh
> exec: 15: ./Contents/Linux/squeakvm: not found
>
> I really need to get it running on the ubuntu 8.04 64-bit system.
> Once I get past this problem, what is the best method to kill/shutdown pharo from outside the dev environ?  I don't require to save the image, just safely kill it so it doesn't hold on to resources like socket listener, etc...
>
> thanks, Jon

Re: pharo 1.1. headless server startup and shutdown

Paul DeBruicker
On 12/01/2010 06:04 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 09:58:07 -0500
> From: Jon Hancock<[hidden email]>
> To:[hidden email]
>
> I've found a few tidbits on how to start pharo headless.
> I'm using the most recent Pharo-1.1-OneClick.app which works fine for
> dev on OS X.  When I try to move this to linux, I get troubles.
>
> To keep things simple, I've copied the pharo.sh script as pharo-headless.sh.
>
> Here is the script:
> --- BEGIN ---
> #!/bin/sh
>
> # path
> ROOT=`dirname $0`
> BASE="$ROOT/Contents/Linux"
>
> # execute
> exec "$BASE/squeakvm" \
>       -plugins "$BASE" -mmap 100m -encoding latin1 \
>       -vm-display-X11 -vm-sound-null -headless \

I think the preceding line should be

-vm-display-null -vm-sound-null

>       "$ROOT/Contents/Resources/pharo.image"

> On ubuntu 10.04 32-bit I get this:
> jhancock@pi1:~/Pharo-1.1-OneClick.app$  ./pharo-headless.sh
> libSM.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> could not find module vm-display-X11
> Aborted
>
> On ubuntu 8.04 64-bit I get this:
> knr@us1:~/Pharo-1.1-OneClick.app$  ./pharo-headless.sh
> exec: 15: ./Contents/Linux/squeakvm: not found

make sure you have the package ia32-libs installed on the 64bit system.