pharo 2.0 vs pharo 3.0

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Moose 4.8 works on Pharo 2.0. The only problem I noticed is that CMD+s does not work in the text areas anymore.

So, before we start doing major things (such as removing Mondrian, redoing EyeSee on top of Roassal, adding Athens support, adding Traits into FAMIX, or enhancing GToolkit), I have a little proposition.

After a bit more testing I would like to release 4.8, and then move Moose 5.0 to Pharo 3.0 as soon as possible.

Here is why:
- Moose can benefit from enhancements from Pharo, and we can only influence and contribute if we work closely with the Pharo latest version
- Moose should offer tools for Pharo development
- We are a small community that should work more closely together

What do you think?
(If you disagree, please also indicate the amount of effort you would like to invest in Moose in the near future)

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Every successful trip needs a suitable vehicle."

Re: pharo 2.0 vs pharo 3.0

Ben Coman
I think that releasing Moose 4.8 as a stable version following the
migration to Pharo 2.0 is a very good idea.  It allows "users" to get
the latest fruit from 2.0 without having Moose as a moving target with
ongoing development.  I admire and approve being on the bleeding edge,
however with CI I think there might be some middle ground.  I only know
the parts of Moose that I have been using - Roassal, Glamour & Magritte
- but from an outside perspective it seems that the migration from Pharo
1.4 to 2.0 went fairly smoothly.  So maybe most of Moose is insulated
from Pharo infrastructure changes?  As a trial (to see how much
resources it takes) perhaps Moose can have both a CI job for 2.0 and a
CI job for 3.0.  Maintain both streams only as long as practical -
perhaps until the to the first 2.x release to incorporate any Pharo bug
fixes into Moose 4.8.

Don't put a lot of weight on the above.  I am just sharing an idea for
others more involved to have the greater discussion.  I have only been
an occasional contributor to Roassal, and the next couple of months is
writing up my dissertation and not much programming (but after that I'd
like to get more involved.)

cheers -ben

Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Moose 4.8 works on Pharo 2.0. The only problem I noticed is that CMD+s does not work in the text areas anymore.
>
> So, before we start doing major things (such as removing Mondrian, redoing EyeSee on top of Roassal, adding Athens support, adding Traits into FAMIX, or enhancing GToolkit), I have a little proposition.
>
> After a bit more testing I would like to release 4.8, and then move Moose 5.0 to Pharo 3.0 as soon as possible.
>
> Here is why:
> - Moose can benefit from enhancements from Pharo, and we can only influence and contribute if we work closely with the Pharo latest version
> - Moose should offer tools for Pharo development
> - We are a small community that should work more closely together
>
> What do you think?
> (If you disagree, please also indicate the amount of effort you would like to invest in Moose in the near future)
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Every successful trip needs a suitable vehicle."

Re: pharo 2.0 vs pharo 3.0

Nicolas Anquetil

On 03/23/2013 10:54 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Moose 4.8 works on Pharo 2.0. The only problem I noticed is that CMD+s does not work in the text areas anymore.
>
> So, before we start doing major things (such as removing Mondrian, redoing EyeSee on top of Roassal, adding Athens support, adding Traits into FAMIX, or enhancing GToolkit), I have a little proposition.
>
> After a bit more testing I would like to release 4.8, and then move Moose 5.0 to Pharo 3.0 as soon as possible.
>
> Here is why:
> - Moose can benefit from enhancements from Pharo, and we can only influence and contribute if we work closely with the Pharo latest version
> - Moose should offer tools for Pharo development
+1

nicolas

> - We are a small community that should work more closely together
>
> What do you think?
> (If you disagree, please also indicate the amount of effort you would like to invest in Moose in the near future)
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Every successful trip needs a suitable vehicle."

Nicolas Anquetil -- RMod research team (Inria)

Re: pharo 2.0 vs pharo 3.0

Usman Bhatti
My suggestion is to give a bit more time to 4.8 and the underlying platform to mature. I dont know when you want to release 4.8 but I would do it in 2 months so that all the issues have been opened and closed and the beta version is tested and tried. The tools I develop are still running on 1.4 and we'll start moving them to 2.0.

Yesterday, I noticed that putting a halt in the test code or in its path hangs pharo 2.0 image (I'll open a bug entry). I'm not sure if this is related to it:

But lets help make pharo 2.0 more stable before moving on.

usman

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Usman,

The thing is that we will soon perform major surgery in Moose (see the list below), and once we start that, it will be hard to move.

So, if you know of any bug, please open now so that we can assess them. Right now, the only reported critical issue is with the shortcuts:
http://code.google.com/p/moose-technology/issues/list?can=2&q=Milestone%3D4.8

Cheers,
Doru

On Mar 24, 2013, at 9:43 AM, Usman Bhatti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My suggestion is to give a bit more time to 4.8 and the underlying platform to mature. I dont know when you want to release 4.8 but I would do it in 2 months so that all the issues have been opened and closed and the beta version is tested and tried. The tools I develop are still running on 1.4 and we'll start moving them to 2.0.
>
> Yesterday, I noticed that putting a halt in the test code or in its path hangs pharo 2.0 image (I'll open a bug entry). I'm not sure if this is related to it:
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=5893&can=1&q=tests%20halt%20usman&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Summary%20Milestone%20Difficulty
>
> But lets help make pharo 2.0 more stable before moving on.
>
> usman
>

> On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Moose 4.8 works on Pharo 2.0. The only problem I noticed is that CMD+s does not work in the text areas anymore.
>
> So, before we start doing major things (such as removing Mondrian, redoing EyeSee on top of Roassal, adding Athens support, adding Traits into FAMIX, or enhancing GToolkit), I have a little proposition.
>
> After a bit more testing I would like to release 4.8, and then move Moose 5.0 to Pharo 3.0 as soon as possible.
>
> Here is why:
> - Moose can benefit from enhancements from Pharo, and we can only influence and contribute if we work closely with the Pharo latest version
> - Moose should offer tools for Pharo development
> - We are a small community that should work more closely together
>
> What do you think?
> (If you disagree, please also indicate the amount of effort you would like to invest in Moose in the near future)
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Every successful trip needs a suitable vehicle."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Be rather willing to give than demanding to get."

Re: pharo 2.0 vs pharo 3.0

stephane ducasse

On Mar 24, 2013, at 2:00 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think that releasing Moose 4.8 as a stable version following the migration to Pharo 2.0 is a very good idea.  It allows "users" to get the latest fruit from 2.0 without having Moose as a moving target with ongoing development.  I admire and approve being on the bleeding edge, however with CI I think there might be some middle ground.  I only know the parts of Moose that I have been using - Roassal, Glamour & Magritte - but from an outside perspective it seems that the migration from Pharo 1.4 to 2.0 went fairly smoothly.  So maybe most of Moose is insulated from Pharo infrastructure changes?  As a trial (to see how much resources it takes) perhaps Moose can have both a CI job for 2.0 and a CI job for 3.0.  Maintain both streams only as long as practical - perhaps until the to the first 2.x release to incorporate any Pharo bug fixes into Moose 4.8.
>
> Don't put a lot of weight on the above.  I am just sharing an idea for others more involved to have the greater discussion.  I have only been an occasional contributor to Roassal, and the next couple of months is writing up my dissertation and not much programming (but after that I'd like to get more involved.)

What we will do is to load the Moose 4.8 stable to test the new vms.
Now what we (pharoers) can have is a CI to load Moose dev on 3.0alpha just to see what is happening.

But in a no way I would support two streams. We are too small for this kind of setup.

Re: pharo 2.0 vs pharo 3.0

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Indeed, we will definitely not support two Pharo/Moose versions at the same time.

Cheers,
Doru

On Mar 24, 2013, at 9:40 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 24, 2013, at 2:00 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I think that releasing Moose 4.8 as a stable version following the migration to Pharo 2.0 is a very good idea.  It allows "users" to get the latest fruit from 2.0 without having Moose as a moving target with ongoing development.  I admire and approve being on the bleeding edge, however with CI I think there might be some middle ground.  I only know the parts of Moose that I have been using - Roassal, Glamour & Magritte - but from an outside perspective it seems that the migration from Pharo 1.4 to 2.0 went fairly smoothly.  So maybe most of Moose is insulated from Pharo infrastructure changes?  As a trial (to see how much resources it takes) perhaps Moose can have both a CI job for 2.0 and a CI job for 3.0.  Maintain both streams only as long as practical - perhaps until the to the first 2.x release to incorporate any Pharo bug fixes into Moose 4.8.
>>
>> Don't put a lot of weight on the above.  I am just sharing an idea for others more involved to have the greater discussion.  I have only been an occasional contributor to Roassal, and the next couple of months is writing up my dissertation and not much programming (but after that I'd like to get more involved.)
>>

> What we will do is to load the Moose 4.8 stable to test the new vms.
> Now what we (pharoers) can have is a CI to load Moose dev on 3.0alpha just to see what is happening.
>
> But in a no way I would support two streams. We are too small for this kind of setup.
>
> Stef

www.tudorgirba.com

"To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Re: pharo 2.0 vs pharo 3.0

stephane ducasse
Hi doru

I would be a bit cautious.
I would start with a CI job that runs Moose on 30a.
Then I would release Moose much much more often now that we can freeze so that I would build
stable point of Moose in 2.0.
Then migrate to Pharo3.0 when it makes sense but I would not move on 3.0a right now.
Yes 30 will be good but first I would see how it keeps green tests.

Stef