pharo 6.1 64bit segmentation fault on linux

pharo 6.1 64bit segmentation fault on linux

Johan Brichau-2
Hi,

This stops us from using Travis-CI because the OSX builds are just way too slow there.

Since more recent vms are working (see thread), any chance the vm for linux is updated on the pharo site so we can use Smalltalk-CI?

thx for an update
Johan

Re: pharo 6.1 64bit segmentation fault on linux

CyrilFerlicot
On 12/22/2017 10:33 PM, Johan Brichau wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’m also hitting this
> issue: https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20737/Segmentation-fault-trying-to-load-code-into-a-64-bits-Pharo-6-1-Linux
> Also reported
> here: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-6-1-64-bits-segmentation-fault-loading-code-on-Linux-td5034346.html
>
> This stops us from using Travis-CI because the OSX builds are just way
> too slow there.
>
> Since more recent vms are working (see thread), any chance the vm for
> linux is updated on the pharo site so we can use Smalltalk-CI?

Hi Johan,

I think there was some work to re-establish the vm distribution done
these days. See the result here:

https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/pull/176

I hope this will help with the publication of a new stable VM. It is
also important for us at Synectique. To be able to have a 64bits linux
applications reliable would help us a lot in the simplifications of our
processes. :)

I guess that it will still have to wait some time since it's the end of
the year and there must be a lot of people taking holidays.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

http://www.synectique.eu
2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: pharo 6.1 64bit segmentation fault on linux

Johan Brichau-2
Hi,

I’m still hitting this.
Segfault *every time* when I try to build our project using Travis-CI in Linux.

Even when I try to use the latest vm

Nobody else hits this issue??

Johan

> On 23 Dec 2017, at 01:14, Cyril Ferlicot D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 12/22/2017 10:33 PM, Johan Brichau wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I’m also hitting this
>> issue: https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20737/Segmentation-fault-trying-to-load-code-into-a-64-bits-Pharo-6-1-Linux
>> Also reported
>> here: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-6-1-64-bits-segmentation-fault-loading-code-on-Linux-td5034346.html
>>
>> This stops us from using Travis-CI because the OSX builds are just way
>> too slow there.
>>
>> Since more recent vms are working (see thread), any chance the vm for
>> linux is updated on the pharo site so we can use Smalltalk-CI?
>>

> Hi Johan,
>
> I think there was some work to re-establish the vm distribution done
> these days. See the result here:
>
> https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/pull/176
>
> I hope this will help with the publication of a new stable VM. It is
> also important for us at Synectique. To be able to have a 64bits linux
> applications reliable would help us a lot in the simplifications of our
> processes. :)
>
> I guess that it will still have to wait some time since it's the end of
> the year and there must be a lot of people taking holidays.
>
>> thx for an update
>> Johan
>

> --
> Cyril Ferlicot
> https://ferlicot.fr
>
> http://www.synectique.eu
> 2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
> 59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: pharo 6.1 64bit segmentation fault on linux

alistairgrant
On 13 January 2018 at 11:08, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’m still hitting this.
> Segfault *every time* when I try to build our project using Travis-CI in Linux.
>
> Even when I try to use the latest vm
>
> Nobody else hits this issue??
>
> Johan

Yep, see http://forum.world.st/Pharo-64bit-on-Ubuntu-was-Re-failing-tests-in-Pharo-7-tt5062526.html

(I don't think the differences between Pharo 6.1 and 7 are significant yet)

Cheers,
Alistair

>> On 23 Dec 2017, at 01:14, Cyril Ferlicot D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 12/22/2017 10:33 PM, Johan Brichau wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I’m also hitting this
>>> issue: https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20737/Segmentation-fault-trying-to-load-code-into-a-64-bits-Pharo-6-1-Linux
>>> Also reported
>>> here: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-6-1-64-bits-segmentation-fault-loading-code-on-Linux-td5034346.html
>>>
>>> This stops us from using Travis-CI because the OSX builds are just way
>>> too slow there.
>>>
>>> Since more recent vms are working (see thread), any chance the vm for
>>> linux is updated on the pharo site so we can use Smalltalk-CI?
>>>

>> Hi Johan,
>>
>> I think there was some work to re-establish the vm distribution done
>> these days. See the result here:
>>
>> https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/pull/176
>>
>> I hope this will help with the publication of a new stable VM. It is
>> also important for us at Synectique. To be able to have a 64bits linux
>> applications reliable would help us a lot in the simplifications of our
>> processes. :)
>>
>> I guess that it will still have to wait some time since it's the end of
>> the year and there must be a lot of people taking holidays.
>>
>>> thx for an update
>>> Johan
>>

>> --
>> Cyril Ferlicot
>> https://ferlicot.fr
>>
>> http://www.synectique.eu
>> 2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
>> 59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: pharo 6.1 64bit segmentation fault on linux

NorbertHartl
Johan,

> Am 13.01.2018 um 11:08 schrieb Johan Brichau <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi,
>
> I’m still hitting this.
> Segfault *every time* when I try to build our project using Travis-CI in Linux.
>
> Even when I try to use the latest vm
>
> Nobody else hits this issue??

I have this problem. It made me go back to 32bit for deployments. Nearly half of my jenkins builds are broken because the vm crashes. Lately I started to use read-only support. And the only thing I noticed was that the vm hangs completely. So no it is not usable at the moment.
I switched back to 32bit and tried to push tickets on fogbugz that are 64 bit related. At least fuel and SmallFloat64 basicIdentityHash have been fixed lately. As everyone is busy I guess no backporting has started for 6.1. But everyone should try 64bit now and find problems so it could be included in the next vm release

Norbert

Le 13/01/2018 à 11:33, Norbert Hartl a écrit :

> Johan,
>
>> Am 13.01.2018 um 11:08 schrieb Johan Brichau <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I’m still hitting this.
>> Segfault *every time* when I try to build our project using Travis-CI in Linux.
>>
>> Even when I try to use the latest vm
>>
>> Nobody else hits this issue??
>>
> I have this problem. It made me go back to 32bit for deployments. Nearly half of my jenkins builds are broken because the vm crashes. Lately I started to use read-only support. And the only thing I noticed was that the vm hangs completely. So no it is not usable at the moment.
> I switched back to 32bit and tried to push tickets on fogbugz that are 64 bit related. At least fuel and SmallFloat64 basicIdentityHash have been fixed lately. As everyone is busy I guess no backporting has started for 6.1. But everyone should try 64bit now and find problems so it could be included in the next vm release
>
> Norbert

Hi,

Same problem here.

We had to write some retry mechanism on our Jenkins to retry a build
when it find vm crashes during a configuration loading.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

http://www.synectique.eu
2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: pharo 6.1 64bit segmentation fault on linux

Stephane Ducasse-3
:(
We are sorry for that.
I know that Esteban is spending his days recompiling plugin on windows
for example.

On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 12:39 PM, Cyril Ferlicot D.
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 13/01/2018 à 11:33, Norbert Hartl a écrit :
>> Johan,
>>
>>> Am 13.01.2018 um 11:08 schrieb Johan Brichau <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I’m still hitting this.
>>> Segfault *every time* when I try to build our project using Travis-CI in Linux.
>>>
>>> Even when I try to use the latest vm
>>>
>>> Nobody else hits this issue??
>>>
>> I have this problem. It made me go back to 32bit for deployments. Nearly half of my jenkins builds are broken because the vm crashes. Lately I started to use read-only support. And the only thing I noticed was that the vm hangs completely. So no it is not usable at the moment.
>> I switched back to 32bit and tried to push tickets on fogbugz that are 64 bit related. At least fuel and SmallFloat64 basicIdentityHash have been fixed lately. As everyone is busy I guess no backporting has started for 6.1. But everyone should try 64bit now and find problems so it could be included in the next vm release
>>
>> Norbert
>>

> Hi,
>
> Same problem here.
>
> We had to write some retry mechanism on our Jenkins to retry a build
> when it find vm crashes during a configuration loading.
>
> --
> Cyril Ferlicot
> https://ferlicot.fr
>
> http://www.synectique.eu
> 2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
> 59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: pharo 6.1 64bit segmentation fault on linux

Ben Coman

On 13 January 2018 at 18:33, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
Johan,

> Am 13.01.2018 um 11:08 schrieb Johan Brichau <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi,
>
> I’m still hitting this.
> Segfault *every time* when I try to build our project using Travis-CI in Linux.
>
> Even when I try to use the latest vm
>
> Nobody else hits this issue??

I have this problem. It made me go back to 32bit for deployments. Nearly half of my jenkins builds are broken because the vm crashes. Lately I started to use read-only support. And the only thing I noticed was that the vm hangs completely. So no it is not usable at the moment.
I switched back to 32bit and tried to push tickets on fogbugz that are 64 bit related. At least fuel and SmallFloat64 basicIdentityHash have been fixed lately. As everyone is busy I guess no backporting has started for 6.1. But everyone should try 64bit now and find problems so it could be included in the next vm release

Norbert

I haven't heard more, but next OpenSmalltalk-VM release was planned for the plan was Feb 1.

Of course Pharo can separately release a VM, but it might be good to align if
we can get some community focus around solving this.

cheers -ben