pharo 8 - method versions - how to see author/timestamp?

12

pharo 8 - method versions - how to see author/timestamp?

Paul DeBruicker
Hi -

Sometimes I want to revert to older versions of methods e.g. from an hour ago.

In the "Recent versions of MyClass>>#myMethod" dialog no timestamps or authors are present.

How do I see those?

Thanks

Paul

Re: pharo 8 - method versions - how to see author/timestamp?

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Hi Guys!
No news on this bug? It's really annoying I can't see the timestamp of a
method.
Thanks
Davide

Paul DeBruicker wrote

> Hi -
>
> Sometimes I want to revert to older versions of methods e.g. from an hour
> ago.
>
> In the "Recent versions of MyClass>>#myMethod" dialog no timestamps or
> authors are present.
>
> How do I see those?
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul

Re: pharo 8 - method versions - how to see author/timestamp?

Noury Bouraqadi-2
+1 I'd like to see it fixed.
 It's broken since P8 and still pending in P9.

@everyone Please upvote it :-)

Noury

Kasper Osterbye
I went in and updated the corresponding github issue (https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/7283). The tool is really useful, and it would be nice to have the author and timestamp in place again.

Re: pharo 8 - method versions - how to see author/timestamp?

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
👏
Davide

Kasper Osterbye wrote
> I went in and updated the corresponding github issue (
> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/7283). The tool is really
> useful, and it would be nice to have the author and timestamp in place
> again.

Re: pharo 8 - method versions - how to see author/timestamp?

Richard Sargent
Administrator
Oh, yes/ That is one of the things I most love about ENVY and miss in everything else.
What is the change history of this method, class, package, etc.?

I went in and updated the corresponding github issue (https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/7283). The tool is really useful, and it would be nice to have the author and timestamp in place again.

Re: pharo 8 - method versions - how to see author/timestamp?

Esteban Lorenzano
Hi all,

While the timestamp for the in-image change is, indeed, missing and needs to be fixed, I want to point that we are abandoning the in-image author tracking by method and replacing it with the git history (which wive you also authorship and timestamp by commit).
This method commit history is already there (since Pharo 8) and can be queried with the "history" button in the minitoolbar of calypso, same place where you have the access to the version browser.
Yes, it is not the same, but it fulfills correctly (and improves it, since it gives you the whole method history, not just what you have in image) the old version functionality, which however will remain as a track of in-image changes, but without  the author (since is not needed).

Even more, all the Author infrastructure is target for removal in next versions of Pharo (just not right now :P)

cheers!
Esteban

On Feb 5 2021, at 9:16 am, Richard Sargent <[hidden email]> wrote:
Oh, yes/ That is one of the things I most love about ENVY and miss in everything else.
What is the change history of this method, class, package, etc.?

I went in and updated the corresponding github issue (https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/7283). The tool is really useful, and it would be nice to have the author and timestamp in place again.

Re: pharo 8 - method versions - how to see author/timestamp?

Esteban Lorenzano
change history for method is already there (as explained in my previous mail).
for class and package level is something I always wanted to implement (class level is particularly easy to implement, with tonel format) but I didn't find the time to do it.
Volunteers to implement are welcome! ;)

Esteban

On Feb 5 2021, at 9:16 am, Richard Sargent <[hidden email]> wrote:
Oh, yes/ That is one of the things I most love about ENVY and miss in everything else.
What is the change history of this method, class, package, etc.?

I went in and updated the corresponding github issue (https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/7283). The tool is really useful, and it would be nice to have the author and timestamp in place again.

Re: pharo 8 - method versions - how to see author/timestamp?

Richard Sargent (again)
Thanks, Estaban.
I realize that you are not offering a solution. But, you are recognizing the benefit of one.

Kasper Osterbye
Based on your comments Esteban, I have suggested to close the corresponding issue 7283. Closer integration to git from within the image sounds promising.

Re: pharo 8 - method versions - how to see author/timestamp?

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Hi Esteban,
The "history" button in the minitoolbar of calypso is related to git, right?
Because it's not shown in every method
Cheers
Davide

Esteban Lorenzano wrote

> Hi all,
>
> While the timestamp for the in-image change is, indeed, missing and needs
> to be fixed, I want to point that we are abandoning the in-image author
> tracking by method and replacing it with the git history (which wive you
> also authorship and timestamp by commit).
> This method commit history is already there (since Pharo 8) and can be
> queried with the "history" button in the minitoolbar of calypso, same
> place where you have the access to the version browser.
> Yes, it is not the same, but it fulfills correctly (and improves it, since
> it gives you the whole method history, not just what you have in image)
> the old version functionality, which however will remain as a track of
> in-image changes, but without the author (since is not needed).
>
> Even more, all the Author infrastructure is target for removal in next
> versions of Pharo (just not right now :P)
> cheers!
> Esteban
>
> On Feb 5 2021, at 9:16 am, Richard Sargent &lt;

> richard.sargent@

> &gt; wrote:
>> Oh, yes/ That is one of the things I most love about ENVY and miss in
>> everything else.
>> What is the change history of this method, class, package, etc.?
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 10:09 PM Kasper Osterbye &lt;

> kasper.osterbye@

>  (mailto:

> kasper.osterbye@

> )&gt; wrote:
>> > I went in and updated the corresponding github issue
>> (https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/7283). The tool is really
>> useful, and it would be nice to have the author and timestamp in place
>> again.

Re: pharo 8 - method versions - how to see author/timestamp?

Esteban Lorenzano
indeed, it will fetch the history of each method that belongs to an iceberg repository.

Esteban

On Feb 5 2021, at 11:50 am, Davide Varvello via Pharo-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Esteban,
The "history" button in the minitoolbar of calypso is related to git, right?
Because it's not shown in every method
Cheers
Davide

Esteban Lorenzano wrote
> Hi all,
>
> While the timestamp for the in-image change is, indeed, missing and needs
> to be fixed, I want to point that we are abandoning the in-image author
> tracking by method and replacing it with the git history (which wive you
> also authorship and timestamp by commit).
> This method commit history is already there (since Pharo 8) and can be
> queried with the "history" button in the minitoolbar of calypso, same
> place where you have the access to the version browser.
> Yes, it is not the same, but it fulfills correctly (and improves it, since
> it gives you the whole method history, not just what you have in image)
> the old version functionality, which however will remain as a track of
> in-image changes, but without the author (since is not needed).
>
> Even more, all the Author infrastructure is target for removal in next
> versions of Pharo (just not right now :P)
> cheers!
> Esteban
>
> On Feb 5 2021, at 9:16 am, Richard Sargent &lt;

> richard.sargent@

> &gt; wrote:
>> Oh, yes/ That is one of the things I most love about ENVY and miss in
>> everything else.
>> What is the change history of this method, class, package, etc.?
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 10:09 PM Kasper Osterbye &lt;

> kasper.osterbye@

> (mailto:

> kasper.osterbye@

> )&gt; wrote:
>> > I went in and updated the corresponding github issue
>> (https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/7283). The tool is really
>> useful, and it would be nice to have the author and timestamp in place
>> again.

Re: pharo 8 - method versions - how to see author/timestamp?

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Thanks

Esteban Lorenzano wrote
> indeed, it will fetch the history of each method that belongs to an
> iceberg repository.
>
> Esteban
> On Feb 5 2021, at 11:50 am, Davide Varvello via Pharo-users &lt;

> pharo-users@.pharo

> &gt; wrote:
>> Hi Esteban,
>> The "history" button in the minitoolbar of calypso is related to git,
>> right?
>> Because it's not shown in every method
>> Cheers
>> Davide

Re: pharo 8 - method versions - how to see author/timestamp?

Noury Bouraqadi-2
Thanks Esteban for pointing the history tool + reminding the roadmap.
There is something we'll be missing is that we loose the history of changes between commits.

Often I experiment different implementations or introduce some code just for debug purpose. I do it between commits. Is there a solution to this?

Noury

On Feb 5 2021, at 2:59 pm, Davide Varvello via Pharo-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks

Esteban Lorenzano wrote
> indeed, it will fetch the history of each method that belongs to an
> iceberg repository.
>
> Esteban
> On Feb 5 2021, at 11:50 am, Davide Varvello via Pharo-users &lt;

> pharo-users@.pharo

> &gt; wrote:
>> Hi Esteban,
>> The "history" button in the minitoolbar of calypso is related to git,
>> right?
>> Because it's not shown in every method
>> Cheers
>> Davide

Re: pharo 8 - method versions - how to see author/timestamp?

Esteban Lorenzano
We do not lose the history of changes between commits, Noury.
You still have the changes in-image (which was where they were before).

What you do not have anymore in the image is the author  information.

But changes are there, version browser still shows all your changes, as before (just without timestamp, for the moment).

Esteban

On Feb 5 2021, at 4:01 pm, Noury Bouraqadi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Esteban for pointing the history tool + reminding the roadmap.
There is something we'll be missing is that we loose the history of changes between commits.

Often I experiment different implementations or introduce some code just for debug purpose. I do it between commits. Is there a solution to this?

Noury

On Feb 5 2021, at 2:59 pm, Davide Varvello via Pharo-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks

Esteban Lorenzano wrote
> indeed, it will fetch the history of each method that belongs to an
> iceberg repository.
>
> Esteban
> On Feb 5 2021, at 11:50 am, Davide Varvello via Pharo-users &lt;

> pharo-users@.pharo

> &gt; wrote:
>> Hi Esteban,
>> The "history" button in the minitoolbar of calypso is related to git,
>> right?
>> Because it's not shown in every method
>> Cheers
>> Davide

Re: pharo 8 - method versions - how to see author/timestamp?

Noury Bouraqadi-2
So, will this remain in the image, and the timestamp will be eventually fixed?

Thanks

Re: pharo 8 - method versions - how to see author/timestamp?

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Anyway Esteban, it's for sure a limit of mine, but It's an hour I'm trying to
set up a local Iceberg for my package and I can't configure it.

Some issue I faced:
1) I opened Iceberg and saw "pharo" had "Local repository missing", I guess
there is a sort of default configuration so I tried to repair it. I ends
with: "Project location does not seems to be a valid git repository."
2) Then I double clicked on "pharo" and searched for my package, there
wasn't, so I added my package. Now the package is added but the local
repository is always missing and I don't know how to create a new one.

I wonder why there isn't a local repository by default when you create a
package
Thanks
Davide

Esteban Lorenzano wrote
> indeed, it will fetch the history of each method that belongs to an
> iceberg repository.
>
> Esteban
> On Feb 5 2021, at 11:50 am, Davide Varvello via Pharo-users &lt;

> pharo-users@.pharo

> &gt; wrote:
>> Hi Esteban,
>> The "history" button in the minitoolbar of calypso is related to git,
>> right?
>> Because it's not shown in every method
>> Cheers
>> Davide
>>

>> Esteban Lorenzano wrote
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > While the timestamp for the in-image change is, indeed, missing and
>> needs
>> > to be fixed, I want to point that we are abandoning the in-image author
>> > tracking by method and replacing it with the git history (which wive
>> you
>> > also authorship and timestamp by commit).
>> > This method commit history is already there (since Pharo 8) and can be
>> > queried with the "history" button in the minitoolbar of calypso, same
>> > place where you have the access to the version browser.
>> > Yes, it is not the same, but it fulfills correctly (and improves it,
>> since
>> > it gives you the whole method history, not just what you have in image)
>> > the old version functionality, which however will remain as a track of
>> > in-image changes, but without the author (since is not needed).
>> >
>> > Even more, all the Author infrastructure is target for removal in next
>> > versions of Pharo (just not right now :P)
>> > cheers!
>> > Esteban
>> >
>> > On Feb 5 2021, at 9:16 am, Richard Sargent &lt;
>>
>> > richard.sargent@

>> > kasper.osterbye@
>> > (mailto:
>> > kasper.osterbye@
>> really
>> >> >

>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Re: pharo 8 - method versions - how to see author/timestamp?

Esteban Lorenzano
versions are going to stay there, we never even thought on removing that ;)
they will come from Epicea instead the changes file (because yes, we want to remove the changes file... but this one is a hard one ;) ).
and yes, they will have a timestamp (which is what the in-image versions is lacking now).

Esteban

Thanks

Re: pharo 8 - method versions - how to see author/timestamp?

Esteban Lorenzano

From what I see, indeed you are missing some concepts of what iceberg is and their relation with a package.

1) iceberg is a VCS for Pharo, a frontend for git.
2) an iceberg project stores packages and its versions (commits), but for that you have to add or create an iceberg project and add the packages you want to handle there. There is no automagical process.
3)  the "pharo" project there has what comes with pharo, not your packages. If you want to store your packages, you need your own project.

And well, that.
There are some videos around (no time to look for them now, but I am sure someone can point to them) explaining how to use it and make things with it.
But something to keep in mind, if you want to be happy with iceberg is: Iceberg is NOT ENVY, and it will never be. Its design and patterns are very different and require a different mindset to use it.

Esteban

On Feb 5 2021, at 5:29 pm, Davide Varvello via Pharo-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
Anyway Esteban, it's for sure a limit of mine, but It's an hour I'm trying to
set up a local Iceberg for my package and I can't configure it.

Some issue I faced:
1) I opened Iceberg and saw "pharo" had "Local repository missing", I guess
there is a sort of default configuration so I tried to repair it. I ends
with: "Project location does not seems to be a valid git repository."
2) Then I double clicked on "pharo" and searched for my package, there
wasn't, so I added my package. Now the package is added but the local
repository is always missing and I don't know how to create a new one.

I wonder why there isn't a local repository by default when you create a
package
Thanks
Davide

Esteban Lorenzano wrote
> indeed, it will fetch the history of each method that belongs to an
> iceberg repository.
>
> Esteban
> On Feb 5 2021, at 11:50 am, Davide Varvello via Pharo-users &lt;

> pharo-users@.pharo

> &gt; wrote:
>> Hi Esteban,
>> The "history" button in the minitoolbar of calypso is related to git,
>> right?
>> Because it's not shown in every method
>> Cheers
>> Davide
>>

>> Esteban Lorenzano wrote
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > While the timestamp for the in-image change is, indeed, missing and
>> needs
>> > to be fixed, I want to point that we are abandoning the in-image author
>> > tracking by method and replacing it with the git history (which wive
>> you
>> > also authorship and timestamp by commit).
>> > This method commit history is already there (since Pharo 8) and can be
>> > queried with the "history" button in the minitoolbar of calypso, same
>> > place where you have the access to the version browser.
>> > Yes, it is not the same, but it fulfills correctly (and improves it,
>> since
>> > it gives you the whole method history, not just what you have in image)
>> > the old version functionality, which however will remain as a track of
>> > in-image changes, but without the author (since is not needed).
>> >
>> > Even more, all the Author infrastructure is target for removal in next
>> > versions of Pharo (just not right now :P)
>> > cheers!
>> > Esteban
>> >
>> > On Feb 5 2021, at 9:16 am, Richard Sargent &lt;
>>
>> > richard.sargent@

>> > kasper.osterbye@
>> > (mailto:
>> > kasper.osterbye@
>> really
>> >> >

>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Re: pharo 8 - method versions - how to see author/timestamp?

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Thanks Esteban, I've just found this thread of Stephane
http://forum.world.st/Cant-add-local-git-repo-to-Iceberg-tp5116836p5117058.html
that explains a bit

Esteban Lorenzano wrote