pharo VM names

12

pharo VM names

Camillo Bruni-3
We should really decide on this: https://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=7423

I guess that would simplify the choice for newcomers significantly!

Re: pharo VM names

EstebanLM
Hi,

1) CI builds names is not the same than app names.
2) The "official" pharo vm (the NB Cog JIT), should be named just "Pharo", because that is what users will see in his dock bar.
3) The stack VM is not a debug vm is just a VM who uses a stack-to-register approach. I would call it PharoS or something that simple.
4) RizelVM is not a regularly distributed VM, so it should not be in pharo, but in pharo-contribution
5) PLEASE, STOP MARKING ISSUES THAT CAN WAIT AS 2.0!!!! We are just 2 weeks of release. Stop adding new tasks. No matter if you think is important. Unless it will block us to release, IT IS NOT.

Thanks,
Esteban

On 2013-02-05, at 16:24, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1) CI builds names is not the same than app names.

I am talking about the artifact names if that wasn't clear.

> 2) The "official" pharo vm (the NB Cog JIT), should be named just "Pharo", because that is what users will see in his dock bar.
> 3) The stack VM is not a debug vm is just a VM who uses a stack-to-register approach. I would call it PharoS or something that simple.

think about the user perspective? why would I even bother taking this VM?
There is one that is fast, and another one that is what? less stable?

> 4) RizelVM is not a regularly distributed VM, so it should not be in pharo, but in pharo-contribution
        yes, definitely.

> 5) PLEASE, STOP MARKING ISSUES THAT CAN WAIT AS 2.0!!!! We are just 2 weeks of release. Stop adding new tasks. No matter if you think is important. Unless it will block us to release, IT IS NOT.

I associated this with Pharo2.0 ... I guess wrongly..

I provide fixes that can be included NOW => I have to mark them 2.0 otherwise nobody will ever ever look at it.
=> did you ever touch the monkey? You didn't, so unless that is fixed and it checks 3.0 tags as well, I can't help myself but putting it on 2.0

Re: pharo VM names

Denis Kudriashov
2013/2/5 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
RizelVM

What is RizelVM?

Re: pharo VM names

Clément Béra
2013/2/5 Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]>
2013/2/5 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
RizelVM

What is RizelVM?

Correct me if I am wrong, but Rizel VM is a VM that permits to benchmark. It was done by a student and worked nicely but it is not maintained any more.

Re: pharo VM names

Francisco Garau-2
On 5 Feb 2013, at 15:34, Camillo Bruni

> => did you ever touch the monkey?

Sorry for the basic question, but what (or who) is this monkey?

- Francisco

Re: pharo VM names

EstebanLM
yeah, and translated to dirty spanish... well, I don't even want to think about :P

On Feb 5, 2013, at 9:04 PM, Francisco Garau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5 Feb 2013, at 15:34, Camillo Bruni
>
>> => did you ever touch the monkey?
>
> Sorry for the basic question, but what (or who) is this monkey?
>
> - Francisco

Re: pharo VM names

Juan Pablo Sandoval
Hello,

RizelVM is a simple extension of StackVM.  It has few more primitives than StackVM.

This primitives aid us to counting the number of sent messages. The number of sent messages is related to the averages execution time over multiple executions. For more information about counting messages you can see this paper http://bergel.eu/download/papers/Berg11c-compteur.pdf

RizelVM highly depend on stackVM, while stackVM does not work in the new jenkins infraestructure, RizelVM wont  work either.

Can someone check what is going on with StackVM?

Regards,
Juan Pablo

Saludos,
Juan Pablo

Re: pharo VM names

Eliot Miranda-2

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 7:24 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

1) CI builds names is not the same than app names.
2) The "official" pharo vm (the NB Cog JIT), should be named just "Pharo", because that is what users will see in his dock bar.
3) The stack VM is not a debug vm is just a VM who uses a stack-to-register approach. I would call it PharoS or something that simple.

No.  The StackVM is a VM that optimizes interpreted execution by mapping contexts to stack frames and lazily instantiating contexts, but is still a pure interpreter.  The Cog VM is a VM that optimizes execution by mapping contexts to stack frames and lazily instantiating contexts, /and/ by compiling methods used more than once to machine-code and implementing a number of send optimization schemes in that machine-code.

4) RizelVM is not a regularly distributed VM, so it should not be in pharo, but in pharo-contribution
5) PLEASE, STOP MARKING ISSUES THAT CAN WAIT AS 2.0!!!! We are just 2 weeks of release. Stop adding new tasks. No matter if you think is important. Unless it will block us to release, IT IS NOT.

Thanks,
Esteban

On Feb 5, 2013, at 4:08 PM, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We should really decide on this: https://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=7423
>
> I guess that would simplify the choice for newcomers significantly!

best,
Eliot

Re: pharo VM names

EstebanLM

On Feb 5, 2013, at 9:15 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No.  The StackVM is a VM that optimizes interpreted execution by mapping contexts to stack frames and lazily instantiating contexts, but is still a pure interpreter.  The Cog VM is a VM that optimizes execution by mapping contexts to stack frames and lazily instantiating contexts, /and/ by compiling methods used more than once to machine-code and implementing a number of send optimization schemes in that machine-code.

ok :)

Re: pharo VM names

Camillo Bruni-3

On 2013-02-05, at 21:04, Francisco Garau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5 Feb 2013, at 15:34, Camillo Bruni
>
>> => did you ever touch the monkey?
>
> Sorry for the basic question, but what (or who) is this monkey?

the monkey is our primate friend https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/job/Pharo-2.0-Issue-Tracker/
the checks and validates pending issues.

Re: pharo VM names

fstephany

On 05/02/13 21:15, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> No.  The StackVM is a VM that optimizes interpreted execution by mapping
> contexts to stack frames and lazily instantiating contexts, but is still
> a pure interpreter.  The Cog VM is a VM that optimizes execution
> by mapping contexts to stack frames and lazily instantiating contexts,
> /and/ by compiling methods used more than once to machine-code and
> implementing a number of send optimization schemes in that machine-code.

This could be added in the Jenkins job description!

Re: pharo VM names

Camillo Bruni-3
doing that right now!

On 2013-02-05, at 22:08, Francois Stephany <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05/02/13 21:15, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>

>> No.  The StackVM is a VM that optimizes interpreted execution by mapping
>> contexts to stack frames and lazily instantiating contexts, but is still
>> a pure interpreter.  The Cog VM is a VM that optimizes execution
>> by mapping contexts to stack frames and lazily instantiating contexts,
>> /and/ by compiling methods used more than once to machine-code and
>> implementing a number of send optimization schemes in that machine-code.
>>

> This could be added in the Jenkins job description!

Re: pharo VM names

Camillo Bruni-3
done:
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/view/VM/job/StackVM/
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/view/VM/job/PharoVM/

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:
done:
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/view/VM/job/StackVM/
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/view/VM/job/PharoVM/

"The Pharo VM (former Cog VM) is a VM that optimizes execution by mapping contexts to stack frames and lazily instantiating contexts.
It further jits/compiles methods used more than once to machine-code and implements a number of send optimization schemes in that machine-code."
=>
"The Pharo VM (also known as the Cog VM) is a VM that optimizes execution by mapping contexts to stack frames and lazily instantiating contexts.
It further jits/compiles methods used more than once to machine-code and implements a number of send optimization schemes in that machine-code."

please.

best,
Eliot

On 2013-02-05, at 22:09, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> doing that right now!
>
> On 2013-02-05, at 22:08, Francois Stephany <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 05/02/13 21:15, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>>

>>> No.  The StackVM is a VM that optimizes interpreted execution by mapping
>>> contexts to stack frames and lazily instantiating contexts, but is still
>>> a pure interpreter.  The Cog VM is a VM that optimizes execution
>>> by mapping contexts to stack frames and lazily instantiating contexts,
>>> /and/ by compiling methods used more than once to machine-code and
>>> implementing a number of send optimization schemes in that machine-code.
>>>

>> This could be added in the Jenkins job description!

--
best,
Eliot

Re: pharo VM names

Camillo Bruni-3

On 2013-02-05, at 22:15, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> done:
>> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/view/VM/job/StackVM/
>> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/view/VM/job/PharoVM/
>

> "The Pharo VM (former Cog VM) is a VM that optimizes execution by mapping
> contexts to stack frames and lazily instantiating contexts.
> It further jits/compiles methods used more than once to machine-code and
> implements a number of send optimization schemes in that machine-code."
> =>
> "The Pharo VM (also known as the Cog VM) is a VM that optimizes execution
> by mapping contexts to stack frames and lazily instantiating contexts.
> It further jits/compiles methods used more than once to machine-code and
> implements a number of send optimization schemes in that machine-code."

nope it is NOT the cog VM, your branch doesn't have a set of changes we made,
notably to the file plugins, furthermore we ship by default with the native
boost plugin.

so to be fully correct I have to say *former*.

Re: pharo VM names

Camillo

the stackVM can be important as a fallback
So we can have Pharo and PharoS (as slow and stack)

On 2013-02-05, at 22:23, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Camillo
>
> the stackVM can be important as a fallback
> So we can have Pharo and PharoS (as slow and stack)

I agree, maybe we could merge that with the Rizel code? so we only need 2 VMs?

Re: pharo VM names

Esteban A. Maringolo
I there is going to be a suffix for the VM, I would name them PharoJIT
and PharoStack. So both have suffixes, otherwise Pharo"S" sounds like
it has something else the "clean" Pharo doesn't.

Just my view on naming things.

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo