pharo books as audiobooks

Siemen Baader
Hi all,

I'm interested in listening to the pharo books as audiobooks, away from my desk. I read them to learn higher level concepts and can get back to the code boxes later to look up the details, so I'm not too worried about how to exactly convert the code boxes to audio.

One way to enable this would be if the books were served publicly as static HTML. One can then use the Pocket App to save them and listen on the go. In theory this should be something that the CI system could just be set up to do, right?

(There are apps to convert PDFs to audio too, but those I have been able to find are inconvenient and / or expensive.)

Is anyone who is already familiar with the CI system interested in setting this up? I'd love to help but don't have the time, unfortunately. But I'm happy to provide feedback. I'v

cheers
Siemen

Re: pharo books as audiobooks

niepiekm
Hi Siemen, all,

you may listen to PDF files from the Web via 'Read Aloud' Chrome extension
(https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/read-aloud-a-text-to-spee/hdhinadidafjejdhmfkjgnolgimiaplp)
and use its service at
https://assets.lsdsoftware.com/read-aloud/page-scripts/pdf-upload.html to
open and listen to local PDF files.

Simply open a local PDF file via the service and click on the extension
button.

Regards,
Marek

Re: pharo books as audiobooks

Siemen Baader
Hi Marek,

Thanks for the pointer. This is useful and interesting, but I wasn't clear enough - I need the audio on my mobile phone and it needs to bookmark where I left off, like audio book players and podcast apps do. Pocket has a very nice workflow for this because I can bookmark a web site in Firefox, then play back on mobile later. I've also used http://talkify.net and saved the whole .mp3 file as an audio book to my mobile device, but talkify and Pocket only work with HTML accessible over http via a public URL. But thanks, and I'll probably learn something from this tool as well.

cheers,
Siemen

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 12:37 PM niepiekm <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Siemen, all,

you may listen to PDF files from the Web via 'Read Aloud' Chrome extension
(https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/read-aloud-a-text-to-spee/hdhinadidafjejdhmfkjgnolgimiaplp)
and use its service at
https://assets.lsdsoftware.com/read-aloud/page-scripts/pdf-upload.html to
open and listen to local PDF files.

Simply open a local PDF file via the service and click on the extension
button.

Regards,
Marek

Re: pharo books as audiobooks

Hi siemen

On 28 Aug 2020, at 09:47, Siemen Baader <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

I'm interested in listening to the pharo books as audiobooks, away from my desk. I read them to learn higher level concepts and can get back to the code boxes later to look up the details, so I'm not too worried about how to exactly convert the code boxes to audio.

One way to enable this would be if the books were served publicly as static HTML. One can then use the Pocket App to save them and listen on the go. In theory this should be something that the CI system could just be set up to do, right?

It is somehow working but it needs love.

(There are apps to convert PDFs to audio too, but those I have been able to find are inconvenient and / or expensive.)

Is anyone who is already familiar with the CI system interested in setting this up? I'd love to help but don't have the time, unfortunately. But I'm happy to provide feedback. I'v

Same here. I want to move all the books to Microdown and I’m flooded of other duties.

cheers
Siemen

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle