pharo for ios and android

Steve Quezadas
I am going to the portland meetup this october and I noticed that one of the items listed is "Smalltalk on iOS and Android" which intrigues me. Is some Guilfoyle-type here writing a VM for these platforms? I was joking with a friend that we should write a vm for ios using the "smalltalk blue book" and it would be fun to learn how vm's work by trying to write sometihng for ios. Is someone already working on this?

- Steve

Re: pharo for ios and android

Ben Coman
On Sat, 21 Sep 2019 at 09:34, Steve Quezadas <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am going to the portland meetup this october and I noticed that one of the items listed is "Smalltalk on iOS and Android" which intrigues me. Is some Guilfoyle-type here writing a VM for these platforms? I was joking with a friend that we should write a vm for ios using the "smalltalk blue book" and it would be fun to learn how vm's work by trying to write sometihng for ios. Is someone already working on this?

It is not mainstream, but has been done by some individuals...

One thing to be aware of is that the VM for these platform doesn't come with JIT.

The other is that these platforms are strongly weighted towards event-driven coding style
and the VM currently is not event driven.  This has an impact on battery life, and may bump up against rules that terminate a long running process (my understanding of this is limited).

Pharo 8's headless-VM opens up some possibilities towards creating an event-driven VM, but I'm not aware of any immediate plans to do that.

cheers -ben

Re: pharo for ios and android

Stephan Eggermont-3
Steve Quezadas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am going to the portland meetup this october and I noticed that one of
> the items listed is "Smalltalk on iOS and Android" which intrigues me. Is
> some Guilfoyle-type here writing a VM for these platforms? I was joking
> with a friend that we should write a vm for ios using the "smalltalk blue
> book" and it would be fun to learn how vm's work by trying to write
> sometihng for ios. Is someone already working on this?

Craig Latta runs Smalltalk images on the javascript vm written by Bert
Freudenberg. Search for Caffeine

Stephan

Re: pharo for ios and android

eftomi
I've found U8 for the android: http://alereimondo.no-ip.org/U8/313 .

Best wishes
Tomaž

On Sat, 21 Sep 2019, 13:32 Stephan Eggermont, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Steve Quezadas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am going to the portland meetup this october and I noticed that one of
> the items listed is "Smalltalk on iOS and Android" which intrigues me. Is
> some Guilfoyle-type here writing a VM for these platforms? I was joking
> with a friend that we should write a vm for ios using the "smalltalk blue
> book" and it would be fun to learn how vm's work by trying to write
> sometihng for ios. Is someone already working on this?

Craig Latta runs Smalltalk images on the javascript vm written by Bert
Freudenberg. Search for Caffeine

Stephan

Re: pharo for ios and android

Craig Latta

Hi--

> Craig Latta runs Smalltalk images on the javascript vm written by Bert
> Freudenberg. Search for Caffeine

     Yes, https://caffeine.js.org is my main development system these
days, and it runs nicely on my iPhone (or any device, with any web
browser). Caffeine is the https://squeak.js.org virtual machine (which
can run Squeak, Pharo, and Cuis) with Web platform and frameworks support.

     thanks,

-C

--
Craig Latta
Black Page Digital
+ 1 415  287 3547

Re: pharo for ios and android

Steve Quezadas
Ahhh, interesting! I didn't know caffeine even existed! Thank you for sharing.

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 3:24 PM Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi--

> Craig Latta runs Smalltalk images on the javascript vm written by Bert
> Freudenberg. Search for Caffeine

     Yes, https://caffeine.js.org is my main development system these
days, and it runs nicely on my iPhone (or any device, with any web
browser). Caffeine is the https://squeak.js.org virtual machine (which
can run Squeak, Pharo, and Cuis) with Web platform and frameworks support.

     thanks,

-C

--
Craig Latta
Black Page Digital
Amsterdam :: San Francisco
[hidden email]
+31   6 2757 7177
+ 1 415  287 3547

Re: pharo for ios and android

Richard O'Keefe
Thank you Craig Latta.  I see there is a caffeine.js.org/pharo
"This page is an early demo of running Pharo 6 with the SqueakJS
virtual machine. It gets far enough now that I think several people in
the Pharo community could fix the rest of the bugs (mostly missing
primitives). "
I'm trying it but it takes rather longer to start than the Squeak page.
By the way, I'm using Firefox on Ubuntu, so what do I type to get, for
example, "print it"?
Ctrl-P is captured by Firefox.

On Sun, 22 Sep 2019 at 10:24, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi--
>
> > Craig Latta runs Smalltalk images on the javascript vm written by Bert
> > Freudenberg. Search for Caffeine
>
>      Yes, https://caffeine.js.org is my main development system these
> days, and it runs nicely on my iPhone (or any device, with any web
> browser). Caffeine is the https://squeak.js.org virtual machine (which
> can run Squeak, Pharo, and Cuis) with Web platform and frameworks support.
>

>      thanks,
>
> -C
>
> --
> Craig Latta
> Black Page Digital
> Amsterdam :: San Francisco
> [hidden email]
> +31   6 2757 7177
> + 1 415  287 3547

Re: pharo for ios and android

Richard O'Keefe
PS: After several minutes, the progress bar for "Loading app Pharo..."
stopped moving.
So I don't think I'll bother trying Pharo on a tablet yet...

On Sun, 22 Sep 2019 at 22:15, Richard O'Keefe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you Craig Latta.  I see there is a caffeine.js.org/pharo
> "This page is an early demo of running Pharo 6 with the SqueakJS
> virtual machine. It gets far enough now that I think several people in
> the Pharo community could fix the rest of the bugs (mostly missing
> primitives). "
> I'm trying it but it takes rather longer to start than the Squeak page.
> By the way, I'm using Firefox on Ubuntu, so what do I type to get, for
> example, "print it"?
> Ctrl-P is captured by Firefox.
>
> On Sun, 22 Sep 2019 at 10:24, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Hi--
> >
> > > Craig Latta runs Smalltalk images on the javascript vm written by Bert
> > > Freudenberg. Search for Caffeine
> >
> >      Yes, https://caffeine.js.org is my main development system these
> > days, and it runs nicely on my iPhone (or any device, with any web
> > browser). Caffeine is the https://squeak.js.org virtual machine (which
> > can run Squeak, Pharo, and Cuis) with Web platform and frameworks support.
> >

> >      thanks,
> >
> > -C
> >
> > --
> > Craig Latta
> > Black Page Digital
> > Amsterdam :: San Francisco
> > [hidden email]
> > +31   6 2757 7177
> > + 1 415  287 3547

Re: pharo for ios and android

Craig Latta

Hi Richard--

> I see there is a caffeine.js.org/pharo... I'm trying it but it takes
> rather longer to start than the Squeak page.

     Ah, I recently condensed the changes file of the Squeak version, so
the first download is much faster. I also think the Pharo 6 image I was
using is much larger than the Squeak one, for some reason. I intend to
update the Pharo image to version 8 soon, anyway.

> By the way, I'm using Firefox on Ubuntu, so what do I type to get, for
> example, "print it"? Ctrl-P is captured by Firefox.

     You should be able to use the normal meta key for your host
platform, it's a bug in the supporting page code in
.../js/squeakjs/squeak.js if not. We can handle command key events
ourselves and then call .preventDefault() on them, to keep the web
browser from chiming in. It should be that Smalltalk handles all of them
except for copy/cut/paste/reload.

     Thanks for checking it out!

-C

--