pharo --help returning non-zero exit status

pharo --help returning non-zero exit status

Peter Uhnak
Hi,

why does executing `pharo --help` return exit status 1? The operation succeeded, so I don't see a reason for a failure return state.

Thanks,
Peter

Re: pharo --help returning non-zero exit status

K K Subbu
On Sunday 01 October 2017 11:27 AM, Peter Uhnák wrote:
> Hi,
>
> why does executing `pharo --help` return exit status 1? The operation
> succeeded, so I don't see a reason for a failure return state.

This is a bug. See the thread at

http://forum.world.st/Re-Pharo-dev-pharo-help-returns-exit-code-1-on-ubuntu-td4945756.html

The proposed fix is pending review at:

  https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/pull/136

Regards .. Subbu

Re: pharo --help returning non-zero exit status

Stephane Ducasse-3
Esteban, Eliot, Clement was is the process to get this fix in the VM?

On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 9:05 AM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ah, perfect. Thanks!
>
> peter
>
> On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 8:41 AM, K K Subbu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Sunday 01 October 2017 11:27 AM, Peter Uhnák wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> why does executing `pharo --help` return exit status 1? The operation
>>> succeeded, so I don't see a reason for a failure return state.
>>

>> This is a bug. See the thread at
>>

>> http://forum.world.st/Re-Pharo-dev-pharo-help-returns-exit-code-1-on-ubuntu-td4945756.html
>>
>> The proposed fix is pending review at:
>>
>>  https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/pull/136
>>
>> Regards .. Subbu

Re: pharo --help returning non-zero exit status

Nicolas Cellier

Having the discussions scattered in Pharo-dev vm-dev github may help extending the indecision phase...

There has been another important thread in vm-dev (Validation builds failing)
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2017-June/025417.html

The conclusion was that we ask for some Pharo authority to approve the change
We thus asked for Esteban's blessing, but unfortunately it seems that you have assigned much more work to Esteban without taking the precaution to clone him first... IMO you need about 4 or 5 Esteban.

If Pharo is OK, then we can just accept the PR and clean a bit the list of stale PR

Esteban, Eliot, Clement was is the process to get this fix in the VM?

On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 9:05 AM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ah, perfect. Thanks!
>
> peter
>
> On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 8:41 AM, K K Subbu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Sunday 01 October 2017 11:27 AM, Peter Uhnák wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> why does executing `pharo --help` return exit status 1? The operation
>>> succeeded, so I don't see a reason for a failure return state.
>>

>> This is a bug. See the thread at
>>

>> http://forum.world.st/Re-Pharo-dev-pharo-help-returns-exit-code-1-on-ubuntu-td4945756.html
>>
>> The proposed fix is pending review at:
>>
>>  https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/pull/136
>>
>> Regards .. Subbu

Re: pharo --help returning non-zero exit status

Stephane Ducasse-3
Sure.
It probably skipped Esteban view.

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 9:37 PM, Nicolas Cellier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Having the discussions scattered in Pharo-dev vm-dev github may help
> extending the indecision phase...
>
> There has been another important thread in vm-dev (Validation builds
> failing)
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2017-June/025417.html
>
> The conclusion was that we ask for some Pharo authority to approve the
> change
> We thus asked for Esteban's blessing, but unfortunately it seems that you
> have assigned much more work to Esteban without taking the precaution to
> clone him first... IMO you need about 4 or 5 Esteban.
>
> If Pharo is OK, then we can just accept the PR and clean a bit the list of
> stale PR

>> Esteban, Eliot, Clement was is the process to get this fix in the VM?
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 9:05 AM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Ah, perfect. Thanks!
>> >
>> > peter

Re: pharo --help returning non-zero exit status

EstebanLM

> On 5 Oct 2017, at 10:51, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sure.
> It probably skipped Esteban view.

I talked yesterday with Ben.
As long as is backward compatible (and should be), I’m ok.

Esteban