pharo on sparc solaris

Tudor Girba
Hi,

I would need to run a Pharo RC4 image on a Sparc Solaris station.
Looking on the www.squeakvm.org/unix/, I see that there is no VM for
such a station, only for Intel Solaris.

Unfortunately, I also do not have access to any compiling tools on
this machine (it's a server). Can anyone help me with this issue?

The machine says it is:
$ uname -a
SunOS ejpdxa9017 5.10 Generic_142900-03 sun4v sparc
SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise-T5220

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Re: pharo on sparc solaris

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I would need to run a Pharo RC4 image on a Sparc Solaris station. Looking on the www.squeakvm.org/unix/, I see that there is no VM for such a station, only for Intel Solaris.

Unfortunately, I also do not have access to any compiling tools on this machine (it's a server).

not even gcc  or cmake ?  weird....

Can anyone help me with this issue?

Maybe you can cc vm mailing list ?

cheers

mariano

The machine says it is:
$ uname -a
SunOS ejpdxa9017 5.10 Generic_142900-03 sun4v sparc
SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise-T5220

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Re: pharo on sparc solaris

hernanmd
Hi Tudor,

It's been years since I've used them, but you may try a "free" Solaris
shell account at http://www.polarhome.com/ or installing your own
Solaris Appliance on a VMWare Server :

http://wotho.ethz.ch/ESX_solaris/Install_Solaris_on_ESX.html
http://blogs.sun.com/exoteric/entry/installing_solaris_10_5_08

Cheers,

Hernán

2010/4/12 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I would need to run a Pharo RC4 image on a Sparc Solaris station. Looking on
> the www.squeakvm.org/unix/, I see that there is no VM for such a station,
> only for Intel Solaris.
>
> Unfortunately, I also do not have access to any compiling tools on this
> machine (it's a server). Can anyone help me with this issue?
>
> The machine says it is:
> $ uname -a
> SunOS ejpdxa9017 5.10 Generic_142900-03 sun4v sparc
> SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise-T5220
>

> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Re: pharo on sparc solaris

Damien Pollet
On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 16:42, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would need to run a Pharo RC4 image on a Sparc Solaris station. Looking on
> the www.squeakvm.org/unix/, I see that there is no VM for such a station,
> only for Intel Solaris.
>
> Unfortunately, I also do not have access to any compiling tools on this
> machine (it's a server). Can anyone help me with this issue?

I own a couple Ultra 5 workstations, but I doubt this will be really
helpful: those are quite old machines (~300MHz CPUs) and I replaced
solaris with linux...

> The machine says it is:
> $ uname -a
> SunOS ejpdxa9017 5.10 Generic_142900-03 sun4v sparc
> SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise-T5220
>

> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Damien Pollet

Re: pharo on sparc solaris

Yanni Chiu
Tudor Girba wrote:
> Unfortunately, I also do not have access to any compiling tools on this
> machine (it's a server). Can anyone help me with this issue?
>
> The machine says it is:
> $ uname -a
> SunOS ejpdxa9017 5.10 Generic_142900-03 sun4v sparc
> SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise-T5220

If you have a login and sufficient disk space, you could set up the
build environment under that user account.

Another possibility is to set up a cross-compiler on a machine (Intel or
SPARC) that you have better control over. A search on: "gcc solaris
cross compiler sparc" turned up some promising links.

--
Yanni

Re: pharo on sparc solaris

Tudor Girba
Hi,

When I mentioned that I do not have access to any compiling tools, I
basically wanted to say that I do not have access to the machine, but
only to the admin, and the admin does not want to do any experiment
and has only limited time.

So, basically my only shot is to provide him with a package that
works. So, I was actually hoping that someone would be able to do it
(or maybe already did it) in another context.

:)

Cheers,
Doru

On 14 Apr 2010, at 17:09, Yanni Chiu wrote:

> Tudor Girba wrote:
>> Unfortunately, I also do not have access to any compiling tools on
>> this machine (it's a server). Can anyone help me with this issue?
>> The machine says it is:
>> $ uname -a
>> SunOS ejpdxa9017 5.10 Generic_142900-03 sun4v sparc
>> SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise-T5220
>
> If you have a login and sufficient disk space, you could set up the
> build environment under that user account.
>
> Another possibility is to set up a cross-compiler on a machine
> (Intel or SPARC) that you have better control over. A search on:
> "gcc solaris cross compiler sparc" turned up some promising links.
>
> --
> Yanni

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow."