pharo.st should be a permanent domain, I think

pharo.st should be a permanent domain, I think

EstebanLM
Hi,
I tried pharo.st to reach pharo. I liked. It's small, concise, beautiful (and it has a .st!)
One problem is that as soon as you type pharo.st, you loose the url. I would like to stay in the url I entered to pharo-project. I think this is easily doable with an apache configuration.
I'm not an apache guy, but I'm sure if there are some problem with this, and all of you agree this is desirable, someone from the list (cough, cough, Diógenes, cough, cough) can do the job :)

Cheers,
Esteban

Esteban

Re: pharo.st should be a permanent domain, I think

Adrian Lienhard
-1

...because in my opinion there should be exactly one main domain name. The additional names should just redirect to this one. Of course we could discuss whether pharo.st should be that main domain. But (already quite long time ago) we decided to go for pharo-project.org. I still think that is the better name, in particular for people who don't know what the meaning of .st is. I think they are less likely to klick on www.pharo.st in a search engine than on www.pharo-project.org.

Cheers,
Adrian

El 31/01/2011, a las 5:31p.m., Adrian Lienhard escribió:

> ...because in my opinion there should be exactly one main domain name. The additional names should just redirect to this one.

why?

Re: pharo.st should be a permanent domain, I think

Adrian Lienhard
Hi Esteban,

>> ...because in my opinion there should be exactly one main domain name. The additional names should just redirect to this one.
>
> why?

For instance to make sure that there are not the same pages listed in search engine results with different domain names. Then, (according to SEO guys) you get better indexed if you have just one domain name, redirecting to it and making all external links point to that name.

Adrian

Re: pharo.st should be a permanent domain, I think

Alexandre Bergel
I agree with Adrian

Alexandre

Le 31 janv. 2011 à 15:31, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> -1
>
> ...because in my opinion there should be exactly one main domain name. The additional names should just redirect to this one. Of course we could discuss whether pharo.st should be that main domain. But (already quite long time ago) we decided to go for pharo-project.org. I still think that is the better name, in particular for people who don't know what the meaning of .st is. I think they are less likely to klick on www.pharo.st in a search engine than on www.pharo-project.org.
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> On Jan 31, 2011, at 21:15 , Diogenes Moreira wrote:
>
>> Always ready. as a boy scout.. only send me de ssh conxion...
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I tried pharo.st to reach pharo. I liked. It's small, concise, beautiful
>>> (and it has a .st!)
>>> One problem is that as soon as you type pharo.st, you loose the url. I
>>> would like to stay in the url I entered to pharo-project. I think this is
>>> easily doable with an apache configuration.
>>> I'm not an apache guy, but I'm sure if there are some problem with this,
>>> and all of you agree this is desirable, someone from the list (cough, cough,
>>> Diógenes, cough, cough) can do the job :)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Esteban

Re: pharo.st should be a permanent domain, I think

Tudor Girba
+1

Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Yesterday is a fact.
 Tomorrow is a possibility.
 Today is a challenge."

Re: pharo.st should be a permanent domain, I think

EstebanLM
ok, ok... I'm a minority :P
I retire my proposition.

best,
Esteban

El 31/01/2011, a las 6:36p.m., Tudor Girba escribió:

> +1
>
> Doru
>

> On 31 Jan 2011, at 22:24, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>
>> I agree with Adrian
>>
>> Alexandre
>>

>> Le 31 janv. 2011 à 15:31, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>>> -1
>>>
>>> ...because in my opinion there should be exactly one main domain name. The additional names should just redirect to this one. Of course we could discuss whether pharo.st should be that main domain. But (already quite long time ago) we decided to go for pharo-project.org. I still think that is the better name, in particular for people who don't know what the meaning of .st is. I think they are less likely to klick on www.pharo.st in a search engine than on www.pharo-project.org.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Adrian

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Yesterday is a fact.
> Tomorrow is a possibility.
> Today is a challenge."

Re: pharo.st should be a permanent domain, I think

Igor Stasenko
On 31 January 2011 22:42, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ok, ok... I'm a minority :P
> I retire my proposition.

:)

To change a name there should be a serious reasons.

I felt in love with Squeak because i like the project and people and
overall spirit, not because of its name
(i admit i never liked it).
Names could serve you a bad service if you change them often for no
strong reason.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.