pharo to glass: moving data question...

SeanTAllen
i want to start playing around with putting together a site in pharo
on my laptop and then when i have it mostly completed, moving it over
to a GLASS installation.
i've scanned back through the list since i first signed up last year
( and found numerous interesting tidbits i had missed ), but i can't
find anything on this:

if i want to move an existing pier site out of a pharo/squeak image
and into glass, how do i do that? i assume it would be using
monticello. i'm not sure though, how much i need to move. i'm sure
there is a simple answer to this, but i still haven't really used
monticello much as i have been able to get by without using it yet.

Re: pharo to glass: moving data question...

Dale
SSean,

Use SIXX. During SIXX testing I was able to move a Pier kernel from Squeak to GemStone.

If you run into issues, I will be very interested to fix them, since at the moment I think SIXX is the best alternative.

Dale

----- "Sean Allen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| i want to start playing around with putting together a site in pharo
|
| on my laptop and then when i have it mostly completed, moving it over
|
| to a GLASS installation.
| i've scanned back through the list since i first signed up last year
|
| ( and found numerous interesting tidbits i had missed ), but i can't
|
| find anything on this:
|
| if i want to move an existing pier site out of a pharo/squeak image
| and into glass, how do i do that? i assume it would be using
| monticello. i'm not sure though, how much i need to move. i'm sure
| there is a simple answer to this, but i still haven't really used
| monticello much as i have been able to get by without using it yet.

Re: pharo to glass: moving data question...

SeanTAllen
I'll add SIXX on to my ever growing list of things to learn and if I
have issues, will be in touch.

On May 23, 2009, at 11:02 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> SSean,
>
> Use SIXX. During SIXX testing I was able to move a Pier kernel from
> Squeak to GemStone.
>
> If you run into issues, I will be very interested to fix them, since
> at the moment I think SIXX is the best alternative.
>
> Dale
>
> ----- "Sean Allen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> | i want to start playing around with putting together a site in pharo
> |
> | on my laptop and then when i have it mostly completed, moving it
> over
> |
> | to a GLASS installation.
> | i've scanned back through the list since i first signed up last year
> |
> | ( and found numerous interesting tidbits i had missed ), but i can't
> |
> | find anything on this:
> |
> | if i want to move an existing pier site out of a pharo/squeak image
> | and into glass, how do i do that? i assume it would be using
> | monticello. i'm not sure though, how much i need to move. i'm sure
> | there is a simple answer to this, but i still haven't really used
> | monticello much as i have been able to get by without using it yet.

Re: pharo to glass: moving data question...

Mariano Martinez Peck
Pier (in 1.1.1 I think) has it's own Importer/Exporter. I don't know if it works on Gemstone, but if this is the case is really easy. I do this when move a pier site from one image to another.

Cheers,

Mariano

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Sean Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'll add SIXX on to my ever growing list of things to learn and if I have issues, will be in touch.

On May 23, 2009, at 11:02 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

SSean,

Use SIXX. During SIXX testing I was able to move a Pier kernel from Squeak to GemStone.

If you run into issues, I will be very interested to fix them, since at the moment I think SIXX is the best alternative.

Dale

----- "Sean Allen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| i want to start playing around with putting together a site in pharo
|
| on my laptop and then when i have it mostly completed, moving it over
|
| to a GLASS installation.
| i've scanned back through the list since i first signed up last year
|
| ( and found numerous interesting tidbits i had missed ), but i can't
|
| find anything on this:
|
| if i want to move an existing pier site out of a pharo/squeak image
| and into glass, how do i do that? i assume it would be using
| monticello. i'm not sure though, how much i need to move. i'm sure
| there is a simple answer to this, but i still haven't really used
| monticello much as i have been able to get by without using it yet.

Re: pharo to glass: moving data question...

johnmci

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
Pier (in 1.1.1 I think) has it's own Importer/Exporter. I don't know if it works on Gemstone, but if this is the case is really easy. I do this when move a pier site from one image to another.

Cheers,

I don't think it handles the "files" directory, there is a comment saying copy by hand. However with a bit of code you could zip it in squeak. Oddly Squeak doesn't handle the ability to compress a directory, so here is some code. I note the unixFileAttributes: is needed to set the directory member with the proper permissions, otherwise on unix or os-x it unzips a directory as rw-rw-rw-   obviously a problem, and a bug.

addCompleteDirectory: aLocalURI

"adds a complete directory structure to the zip archive"

|directory slash dirLocalPath|
directory := FileDirectory on: aLocalURI.

"construct the directory name"
slash := directory slash.
dirLocalPath := directory localName, slash.

self addDirectoryDescend: directory relativePath: dirLocalPath.

addDirectory: aFileName as: anotherFileName
| newMember |
newMember := self memberClass newFromDirectory: aFileName.
newMember unixFileAttributes: 8r040755.
self addMember: newMember.
newMember localFileName: anotherFileName.
^newMember

addDirectoryDescend: directory relativePath: dirLocalPath

|slash|

"self break."
slash := directory slash.

"add the files"

self addDirectory: directory pathName as: dirLocalPath.

directory fileNames
do: [:fileName|
   "self break."
   self addFile: directory pathName, slash, fileName
    as: dirLocalPath, fileName
].

directory directoryNames
do: [:subDirName| self addDirectoryDescend: (directory directoryNamed: subDirName)
  relativePath: dirLocalPath, subDirName, slash.

].

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>

Re: pharo to glass: moving data question...

Dale
Mariano,

I haven't had a chance to look at the details of exporter/importer, but I assume that it is based on squeak-based serialization. At the moment SIXX is probably a better option for moving data to GemStone.

Dale

----- "Mariano Martinez Peck" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Pier (in 1.1.1 I think) has it's own Importer/Exporter. I don't know
| if it
| works on Gemstone, but if this is the case is really easy. I do this
| when
| move a pier site from one image to another.
|
| Cheers,
|
| Mariano
|
| On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Sean Allen
| <[hidden email]>wrote:
|
| > I'll add SIXX on to my ever growing list of things to learn and if I
| have
| > issues, will be in touch.
| >

| > On May 23, 2009, at 11:02 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
| >
| >  SSean,
| >>
| >> Use SIXX. During SIXX testing I was able to move a Pier kernel from
| Squeak
| >> to GemStone.
| >>
| >> If you run into issues, I will be very interested to fix them,
| since at
| >> the moment I think SIXX is the best alternative.
| >>
| >> Dale

| pharo
| >> |
| over
| >> |
| year
| >> |
| can't
| >> |
| >> |
| image
| sure
| used
| yet.
| >> |
| >> |

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano,

I haven't had a chance to look at the details of exporter/importer, but I assume that it is based on squeak-based serialization. At the moment SIXX is probably a better option for moving data to GemStone.

I also don't know how it is do it. Lukas, do you know ?  Perhaps, extending Pier/Export package using a GemStone compatible serializer (like SIXX) would be a good idea to do.

Do you have something like a magic SIXX example to do this? export a pier kernel ?

thanks!

Mariano

Dale

----- "Mariano Martinez Peck" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Pier (in 1.1.1 I think) has it's own Importer/Exporter. I don't know
| if it
| works on Gemstone, but if this is the case is really easy. I do this
| when
| move a pier site from one image to another.
|
| Cheers,
|
| Mariano
|
| On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Sean Allen
| <[hidden email]>wrote:
|
| > I'll add SIXX on to my ever growing list of things to learn and if I
| have
| > issues, will be in touch.
| >

| > On May 23, 2009, at 11:02 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
| >
| >  SSean,
| >>
| >> Use SIXX. During SIXX testing I was able to move a Pier kernel from
| Squeak
| >> to GemStone.
| >>
| >> If you run into issues, I will be very interested to fix them,
| since at
| >> the moment I think SIXX is the best alternative.
| >>
| >> Dale

| pharo
| >> |
| over
| >> |
| year
| >> |
| can't
| >> |
| >> |
| image
| sure
| used
| yet.
| >> |
| >> |

Re: pharo to glass: moving data question...

Lukas Renggli
> I also don't know how it is do it. Lukas, do you know ?  Perhaps, extending
> Pier/Export package using a GemStone compatible serializer (like SIXX) would
> be a good idea to do.

I agree that extending the exporter to support SIXX would be a good idea.

I created an issue:

http://code.google.com/p/pier/issues/detail?id=96

Cheers,
Lukas

> Do you have something like a magic SIXX example to do this? export a pier
> kernel ?
>
> thanks!
>
> Mariano
>

>> Dale
>>
>> ----- "Mariano Martinez Peck" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> | Pier (in 1.1.1 I think) has it's own Importer/Exporter. I don't know
>> | if it
>> | works on Gemstone, but if this is the case is really easy. I do this
>> | when
>> | move a pier site from one image to another.
>> |
>> | Cheers,
>> |
>> | Mariano

>> | have

>> | Squeak

>> | since at

>> | pharo
>> | >> |
>> | over
>> | >> |
>> | year
>> | >> |
>> | can't
>> | >> |
>> | >> |
>> | image
>> | sure
>> | used
>> | yet.
>> | >> |
>> | >> |

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 3:05 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I also don't know how it is do it. Lukas, do you know ?  Perhaps, extending
> Pier/Export package using a GemStone compatible serializer (like SIXX) would
> be a good idea to do.

I agree that extending the exporter to support SIXX would be a good idea.

I created an issue:

http://code.google.com/p/pier/issues/detail?id=96

Thanks Lukas!!!

Mariano

Cheers,
Lukas

> Do you have something like a magic SIXX example to do this? export a pier
> kernel ?
>
> thanks!
>
> Mariano
>

>> Dale
>>
>> ----- "Mariano Martinez Peck" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> | Pier (in 1.1.1 I think) has it's own Importer/Exporter. I don't know
>> | if it
>> | works on Gemstone, but if this is the case is really easy. I do this
>> | when
>> | move a pier site from one image to another.
>> |
>> | Cheers,
>> |
>> | Mariano

>> | have

>> | Squeak

>> | since at

>> | pharo
>> | >> |
>> | over
>> | >> |
>> | year
>> | >> |
>> | can't
>> | >> |
>> | >> |
>> | image
>> | sure
>> | used
>> | yet.
>> | >> |
>> | >> |

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: pharo to glass: moving data question...

Mariano Martinez Peck
Just for curious, how is do it right now? how it serializes the objects?

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 3:05 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I also don't know how it is do it. Lukas, do you know ?  Perhaps, extending
> Pier/Export package using a GemStone compatible serializer (like SIXX) would
> be a good idea to do.

I agree that extending the exporter to support SIXX would be a good idea.

I created an issue:

http://code.google.com/p/pier/issues/detail?id=96

Thanks Lukas!!!

Mariano

Cheers,
Lukas

> Do you have something like a magic SIXX example to do this? export a pier
> kernel ?
>
> thanks!
>
> Mariano
>

>> Dale
>>
>> ----- "Mariano Martinez Peck" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> | Pier (in 1.1.1 I think) has it's own Importer/Exporter. I don't know
>> | if it
>> | works on Gemstone, but if this is the case is really easy. I do this
>> | when
>> | move a pier site from one image to another.
>> |
>> | Cheers,
>> |
>> | Mariano

>> | have

>> | Squeak

>> | since at

>> | pharo
>> | >> |
>> | over
>> | >> |
>> | year
>> | >> |
>> | can't
>> | >> |
>> | >> |
>> | image
>> | sure
>> | used
>> | yet.
>> | >> |
>> | >> |

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: pharo to glass: moving data question...

Lukas Renggli
> Just for curious, how is do it right now? how it serializes the objects?

It uses the binary serialization mechanism of Squeak: ReferenceStream.

Cheers,
Lukas

> On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I agree that extending the exporter to support SIXX would be a good idea.
>>>
>>> I created an issue:
>>>
>>> http://code.google.com/p/pier/issues/detail?id=96
>>
>> Thanks Lukas!!!
>>
>> Mariano
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Lukas

>>> --
>>> Lukas Renggli
>>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 5:05 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I also don't know how it is do it. Lukas, do you know ?  Perhaps, extending
> Pier/Export package using a GemStone compatible serializer (like SIXX) would
> be a good idea to do.

I agree that extending the exporter to support SIXX would be a good idea.

I created an issue:

http://code.google.com/p/pier/issues/detail?id=96

Cheers,
Lukas

> Do you have something like a magic SIXX example to do this? export a pier
> kernel ?
>
> thanks!
>
> Mariano
>

>> Dale
>>
>> ----- "Mariano Martinez Peck" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> | Pier (in 1.1.1 I think) has it's own Importer/Exporter. I don't know
>> | if it
>> | works on Gemstone, but if this is the case is really easy. I do this
>> | when
>> | move a pier site from one image to another.
>> |
>> | Cheers,
>> |
>> | Mariano

>> | have

>> | Squeak