[pharo-users] Can't Load Magma in Pharo 1.3

[pharo-users] Can't Load Magma in Pharo 1.3

Ankur Sethi
Hi,

I'm new to Pharo and Smalltalk in general. I'm trying to build a small
blogging application using Pharo and Seaside. I've decided to use
Magma for persistence, but I'm having some issues loading it in Pharo
1.3.

I loaded Magma the usual way:

Gofer new
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfMagma';
    load.

(Smalltalk at:#ConfigurationOfMagma)
    project latestVersion
    load: 'Server';
    load: 'Client'.

... and I was presented with a backtrace. Since didn't know how to get
a full backtrace out of Pharo in plain text, I took a screenshot:
http://imagebin.org/180559

I know this is not adequate, but I'm hoping someone can help me get
Pharo to give me information about this issue in a more convenient
format.

When I told Pharo to abandon loading the package and then re-evaluated this:

(Smalltalk at:#ConfigurationOfMagma)
    project latestVersion
    load: 'Server';
    load: 'Client'.

... then everything went just fine. I even tried creating a Magma
repository, which worked. However, some things were totally borked in
my Pharo image. I couldn't get the System Browser to do syntax
highlighting, for one.

I'm using Pharo1.3 + CogVM 13307 on Mac OS X Lion.

I hope I made sense.

Thanks.

--
Ankur Sethi
(GeneralMaximus on IRC and elsewhere)

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [pharo-users] Can't Load Magma in Pharo 1.3

Ankur Sethi
Hi,

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 8:37 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hence,
> ConfigurationOfMagma should be updated to use the new version of OSProcess.

Is there a way I can fix this manually in my own image?

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hence,
> ConfigurationOfMagma should be updated to use the new version of OSProcess.

Is there a way I can fix this manually in my own image?

Yes. Go to ThisOSProcess class >> initialize
and replace the addToStartUpList:after:  by a simple addToStartUpList:

cheers

--
Ankur Sethi
(GeneralMaximus on IRC and elsewhere)

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [pharo-users] Can't Load Magma in Pharo 1.3

Ankur Sethi
Hi,

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 9:59 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck >
> Yes. Go to ThisOSProcess class >> initialize
> and replace the addToStartUpList:after:  by a simple addToStartUpList:

I actually loaded the newest version of OSProcess before loading Magma
in a fresh image. That works great.

Now I'm noticing something else: loading Magma works, but as soon as I
load Seaside, I lose all syntax highlighting in the System Browser!

I mentioned this issue in my original query, but I assumed Magma was
causing it. Turns out it wasn't Magma after all, it was Seaside.

Syntax highlighting still works in the workspace. It's only the System
Browser that's affected. What do I do?

--
Ankur Sethi
(GeneralMaximus on IRC and elsewhere)

Re: [pharo-users] Can't Load Magma in Pharo 1.3

Welcome ankhur

we are sorry that you encounter problems.

Stef
On Oct 24, 2011, at 4:54 PM, Ankur Sethi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Pharo and Smalltalk in general. I'm trying to build a small
> blogging application using Pharo and Seaside. I've decided to use
> Magma for persistence, but I'm having some issues loading it in Pharo
> 1.3.
>
> I loaded Magma the usual way:
>
> Gofer new
>    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>    package: 'ConfigurationOfMagma';
>    load.
>
> (Smalltalk at:#ConfigurationOfMagma)
>    project latestVersion
>    load: 'Server';
>    load: 'Client'.
>
> ... and I was presented with a backtrace. Since didn't know how to get
> a full backtrace out of Pharo in plain text, I took a screenshot:
> http://imagebin.org/180559
>
> I know this is not adequate, but I'm hoping someone can help me get
> Pharo to give me information about this issue in a more convenient
> format.
>
> When I told Pharo to abandon loading the package and then re-evaluated this:
>
> (Smalltalk at:#ConfigurationOfMagma)
>    project latestVersion
>    load: 'Server';
>    load: 'Client'.
>
> ... then everything went just fine. I even tried creating a Magma
> repository, which worked. However, some things were totally borked in
> my Pharo image. I couldn't get the System Browser to do syntax
> highlighting, for one.
>
> I'm using Pharo1.3 + CogVM 13307 on Mac OS X Lion.
>
> I hope I made sense.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Ankur Sethi
> (GeneralMaximus on IRC and elsewhere)

Re: [pharo-users] Can't Load Magma in Pharo 1.3

Ankur Sethi
Hi Stef,

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 12:33 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Welcome ankhur
>
> we are sorry that you encounter problems.

Even with these issues, Pharo is probably the most fun I've had with a
programming language (environment?) in a long time :)

I'll try asking about the syntax highlighting thing on the Seaside ML.

(PS: is "Ankhur" a common name somewhere? You're the second person to
call me that this month.)

--
Ankur Sethi
(GeneralMaximus on IRC and elsewhere)

Re: [pharo-users] Can't Load Magma in Pharo 1.3

Panu Suominen
I think this problem relates OmniBrowser. Loading #stable to earlier
Pharo-1.3 image things broke big time.
With current Pharo-1.3-13315 things seems to be fine. Seaside and
MetacelloBrowser among others ignited loading of
OmniBrowser stable which caused loading of some non-working changes.

But I can't get Magma to work with Pharo-1.3-13315. It does load (if
OSProcess 4.4.5 is loaded before) but storing and loading
objects does not seem to work in all cases. Maybe these are the known
issues reported in
http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2011-April/047898.html.

Panu

2011/11/2 Panu Suominen <[hidden email]>:
> But I can't get Magma to work with Pharo-1.3-13315.

Actually I have to take this back a little bit. At least local
repository seem to be working at least in simple cases.
I have larger project where storing/loading objects does not seem to
work. There seem to be some kind of conflicts
between projects I load and Magma. Have not yet figure out what those
are but if I found any I report them.

--
Panu