pharo vision

123

pharo vision

Stéphane Ducasse

main.pdf (386K) Download Attachment

Re: pharo vision

mmimica
"Large applications" chapter on pages 6/7 is repeated twice.

Milan Mimica
http://sparklet.sf.net

Re: pharo vision

Edgar De Cleene
Excellent
Too bad SOB of Squeak do not could bring us some similar.

Edgar

Re: pharo vision

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Thanks Steph! This is much-needed to focus our community and avoid unnecessary confusion and chatter.

A few minor edits to Ch. 1:
pg. 1
        "curved in stone" should be carved
pg. 4
        * "based on an integreation server" should be integration
        * "test them and notify its results" should be "tests them and notifies its results"
        * "We will also put in place another level of checks based on integration servers as well." -> To me this sentence adds nothing. Either explain more or remove it.
        * "We will not do that for the sake of changing." I think you mean "We will not change for the sake of change."
        * "expressing in a more com- pact form all kind of information" would be more clear as "expressing all kinds of information in a more compact form"
        * "optimization at compiler level" -> "optimization at the compiler level"
        * "Not only we want that people build" -> "Not only do we want people build"
pg. 5
        * "We want that both users and the system general quality, benefit from the best libraries." -> "We want both users and the general quality of the system to benefit from the best libraries."
        * "we want to have validated packages running check rules and automated tests automatically validated." is unclear, but I don't understand it well enough to change it
        * "*a* good interaction with the rest of the world" should be "good interaction with the rest of the world"
        * "The list *if* not exhaustive but should allow *one* to structure the development effort." -> "The list is not exhaustive but should allow us to structure the development effort."
        * "New IDES" -> "New IDEs"
        * "but also new *way* of handling" -> "but also new ways of handling"
        * "of new *kind* of IDEs, desktop metaphor and" -> "of new kinds of IDEs, desktop metaphor and:" (added colon at end, subsequent bullets are children)
pg. 6
        * "proved that it was worth." Sentence fragment, I'm not clear enough to fix it
        * "and complex *applications*" -> "and complex application"
        * "Obviously everybody prefer to use a fast library than a slow one. We should develop rule checking that include speed regression testing." -> "Obviously everybody prefers using a fast library over a slow one. We should develop rule checking that includes speed regression testing."
        * "64 bits. For managing large amount of data" -> "64 bits. For managing a large amount of data"
        * "Even if theoretically with a 32 bits VM we should be able to run images of at least 2 GBs, this is not the case of current available VMs. For example, the Windows VM does not support images bigger than 512 MB." -> "Although a 32 bit VM can theoretically run images of up to 2 GB, the currently available VMs are more limited. For example, the Windows VM does not support images bigger than 512 MB."
pg. 7
        * "Large applications" section is repeated
        * "OpenSophie proved that Smalltalk and Squeak in particular, the ancestor of Pharo, are good platforms for building advanced multimedia applications. We believe that Pharo can be used in such situation." -> "OpenSophie proved that Smalltalk, and Squeak (Pharo's ancestor) in particular, are good platforms for building advanced multimedia applications. We believe that Pharo is well-suited for this."

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: pharo vision

Igor Stasenko
On 30 January 2012 16:17, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks Steph! This is much-needed to focus our community and avoid
> unnecessary confusion and chatter.
>
> A few minor edits to Ch. 1:
> pg. 1
>        "curved in stone" should be carved

No. It is now part of history. It is curved, not carved.
There was a postings in mailing list somewhere, discussing that :))

> [...]
>        * "Even if theoretically with a 32 bits VM we should be able to run images
> of at least 2 GBs, this is not the case of current available VMs. For
> example, the Windows VM does not support images bigger than 512 MB." ->
> "Although a 32 bit VM can theoretically run images of up to 2 GB, the
> currently available VMs are more limited. For example, the Windows VM does
> not support images bigger than 512 MB."
> pg. 7
>        * "Large applications" section is repeated
>        * "OpenSophie proved that Smalltalk and Squeak in particular, the ancestor
> of Pharo, are good platforms for building advanced multimedia applications.
> We believe that Pharo can be used in such situation." -> "OpenSophie proved
> that Smalltalk, and Squeak (Pharo's ancestor) in particular, are good
> platforms for building advanced multimedia applications. We believe that

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: pharo vision

Igor Stasenko
a comment on Mariano's comment:
"I am not sure if Pharo could be the best language for security....the fact
of being able to play as god goes in contrary to security also. I
would let all this
security stuff for the javascript guys.
"

in fact, straightly opposite.
think in terms that you want to develop/model/research a secure system
on top of Pharo.
And you're a God, of course, and you should be able to do that, and
Pharo should help you investigating your problem space.
Now, if pharo is underpowered, so you as well, and then you leave
"security stuff for the javascript guys."
:)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: pharo vision

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
a comment on Mariano's comment:
"I am not sure if Pharo could be the best language for security....the fact
of being able to play as god goes in contrary to security also. I
would let all this
security stuff for the javascript guys.
"

in fact, straightly opposite.
think in terms that you want to develop/model/research a secure system
on top of Pharo.
And you're a God, of course, and you should be able to do that, and
Pharo should help you investigating your problem space.
Now, if pharo is underpowered, so you as well, and then you leave
"security stuff for the javascript guys."
:)

Good point :)

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: pharo vision

Frank Shearar-3
On 30 January 2012 15:34, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 30 January 2012 16:17, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks Steph! This is much-needed to focus our community and avoid
>> unnecessary confusion and chatter.
>>
>> A few minor edits to Ch. 1:
>> pg. 1
>>        "curved in stone" should be carved
>
> No. It is now part of history. It is curved, not carved.
> There was a postings in mailing list somewhere, discussing that :))

Sean's right. There is no English idiom like "curved in stone".
"Curved in stone" makes no sense.

frank

> [...]
>>        * "Even if theoretically with a 32 bits VM we should be able to run images
>> of at least 2 GBs, this is not the case of current available VMs. For
>> example, the Windows VM does not support images bigger than 512 MB." ->
>> "Although a 32 bit VM can theoretically run images of up to 2 GB, the
>> currently available VMs are more limited. For example, the Windows VM does
>> not support images bigger than 512 MB."
>> pg. 7
>>        * "Large applications" section is repeated
>>        * "OpenSophie proved that Smalltalk and Squeak in particular, the ancestor
>> of Pharo, are good platforms for building advanced multimedia applications.
>> We believe that Pharo can be used in such situation." -> "OpenSophie proved
>> that Smalltalk, and Squeak (Pharo's ancestor) in particular, are good
>> platforms for building advanced multimedia applications. We believe that

against paranoid programming [WAS: Re: pharo vision]

EstebanLM
a little digression here: nobody knows that steps towards systems security is needed and always welcome, even more in this internet days... but I always found that by "security", most security systems are being constructed against the programmers, not against the possible violations. IMHO, things like "don't touch this class behavior", as a way to ensure system security is oppressive, and is against the paradigm enforced by smalltalk.
I don't think a programmer should be in a jail to program secure things... when we (pharoers) start this task, please, please, take this into account.

yep... always someone mentions security, I run to see if my rights are being violated :P

best,
Esteban

El 30/01/2012, a las 12:45p.m., Igor Stasenko escribió:

> a comment on Mariano's comment:
> "I am not sure if Pharo could be the best language for security....the fact
> of being able to play as god goes in contrary to security also. I
> would let all this
> security stuff for the javascript guys.
> "
>
> in fact, straightly opposite.
> think in terms that you want to develop/model/research a secure system
> on top of Pharo.
> And you're a God, of course, and you should be able to do that, and
> Pharo should help you investigating your problem space.
> Now, if pharo is underpowered, so you as well, and then you leave
> "security stuff for the javascript guys."
> :)
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.

Re: against paranoid programming [WAS: Re: pharo vision]

EstebanLM
errrr.... nobody knows must be read as "nobody doubts" :P

El 30/01/2012, a las 1:06p.m., Esteban Lorenzano escribió:

> a little digression here: nobody knows that steps towards systems security is needed and always welcome, even more in this internet days... but I always found that by "security", most security systems are being constructed against the programmers, not against the possible violations. IMHO, things like "don't touch this class behavior", as a way to ensure system security is oppressive, and is against the paradigm enforced by smalltalk.
> I don't think a programmer should be in a jail to program secure things... when we (pharoers) start this task, please, please, take this into account.
>
> yep... always someone mentions security, I run to see if my rights are being violated :P
>
> best,
> Esteban
>
> El 30/01/2012, a las 12:45p.m., Igor Stasenko escribió:
>
>> a comment on Mariano's comment:
>> "I am not sure if Pharo could be the best language for security....the fact
>> of being able to play as god goes in contrary to security also. I
>> would let all this
>> security stuff for the javascript guys.
>> "
>>
>> in fact, straightly opposite.
>> think in terms that you want to develop/model/research a secure system
>> on top of Pharo.
>> And you're a God, of course, and you should be able to do that, and
>> Pharo should help you investigating your problem space.
>> Now, if pharo is underpowered, so you as well, and then you leave
>> "security stuff for the javascript guys."
>> :)
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko.

Re: pharo vision

Henrik Sperre Johansen

On Jan 30, 2012, at 9:24 14AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

<main.pdf>
Nice!

Some comments on the parts I'm most familiar with:
3.2
I agree, the nice parts in FS to me is the path manipulation API.
Going back to pure ANSI-streams as provided by FSFileStream is not really an option.
Since it's a clean break from FileDirectory & friends though, it might be the perfect time to introduce XTreams; -or it might be too much hassle to have to change both parts in existing code at once.

A good compromise would be to make it pluggable, using the existing Standard/MultiByteFileStreams by default, but making XStreams pluggable (on a use--by-use basis, so you can write new code with XStreams while maintaining old code where you have only had time to rewrite the path handling)

3.3
"Using ephemerons we can then simplify the Announcement and make sure that clients do not have to worry about weak or not registration."
You still have to worry about whether you want weak or strong registration.
"Do I have strict requirements for when the announcement should stop being delivered in relation to subscriber lifespan?" is still a valid question.
What you don't have to worry about, is what _type_ of subscription (action blocks or message sends), you are allowed to use when registering weakly.

Ends with "In addition, " then nothing :)

Cheers,
Henry

On 30 January 2012 16:06, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> a little digression here: nobody knows that steps towards systems security is needed and always welcome, even more in this internet days... but I always found that by "security", most security systems are being constructed against the programmers, not against the possible violations. IMHO, things like "don't touch this class behavior", as a way to ensure system security is oppressive, and is against the paradigm enforced by smalltalk.
> I don't think a programmer should be in a jail to program secure things... when we (pharoers) start this task, please, please, take this into account.
>
> yep... always someone mentions security, I run to see if my rights are being violated :P

And you can't even start addressing security until you have a threat
model against which to secure!

frank

> best,
> Esteban
>
> El 30/01/2012, a las 12:45p.m., Igor Stasenko escribió:
>
>> a comment on Mariano's comment:
>> "I am not sure if Pharo could be the best language for security....the fact
>> of being able to play as god goes in contrary to security also. I
>> would let all this
>> security stuff for the javascript guys.
>> "
>>
>> in fact, straightly opposite.
>> think in terms that you want to develop/model/research a secure system
>> on top of Pharo.
>> And you're a God, of course, and you should be able to do that, and
>> Pharo should help you investigating your problem space.
>> Now, if pharo is underpowered, so you as well, and then you leave
>> "security stuff for the javascript guys."
>> :)
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko.

Re: pharo vision

SergeStinckwich
On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

Thank you for this nice vision.

I think "Language and Remote IDEs for small devices" and "robotics"
could be merge in the same section about "embedded system", because
they share more or less the same concerns: small kernel, C/C++
integration, headless system, reliable networking support, remote
debugging, customizable real-time gc, ... Having the possibility of
mixing several domain-specific languages is also quite interesting in
robotics, see for the example the recent series of workshop i organize
recently: http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/wikka.php?wakka=DSLRob11
I try to push Smalltalk use in robotics in several projects:
1) SqueakBot (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects/SqueakBot) 2)
PlayerST to control Player/Stage robotic simulation
(http://www1.ifi.auf.org/mediawiki/index.php/Smalltalk_Player_Client)
3) ROSTalk to connect Smalltalk and ROS
(https://github.com/SergeStinckwich/rostalk)
but this is still difficult because most of the robotic stuff are
written in C/C++ and also the lack of manpower ...
It's easier at the moment to use Python or Lua for robots than
Smalltalk. Look here: https://github.com/timn/roslua
Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Matsuno Laboratory, Kyoto University, Japan (until 12/2011)
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: pharo vision

Nicolas Cellier
I think the best option with Xtreams
(http://code.google.com/p/xtreams/ ) is to rewrite client code.
This is why the designers have chosen a set of new selectors.

If we think it's time to remove some cruft, but still have late client
adopters, we could also write a wrapper providing old Stream API in
Xtreams
Something like:

'foo' reading withStreamAPI

Then replace ReadStream/WriteStream with such factory...

Of course, replicating the whole zoo of specialized selectors of
current Stream library is not an option IMO.

Nicolas

2012/1/30 Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]>:

> On Jan 30, 2012, at 9:24 14AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
> <main.pdf>
>
> Nice!
>
> Some comments on the parts I'm most familiar with:
> 3.2
> I agree, the nice parts in FS to me is the path manipulation API.
> Going back to pure ANSI-streams as provided by FSFileStream is not really an
> option.
> Since it's a clean break from FileDirectory & friends though, it might be
> the perfect time to introduce XTreams; -or it might be too much hassle to
> have to change both parts in existing code at once.
>
> A good compromise would be to make it pluggable, using the existing
> Standard/MultiByteFileStreams by default, but making XStreams pluggable (on
> a use--by-use basis, so you can write new code with XStreams while
> maintaining old code where you have only had time to rewrite the path
> handling)
>
> 3.3
> "Using ephemerons we can then simplify the Announcement and make sure that
> clients do not have to worry about weak or not registration."
> You still have to worry about whether you want weak or strong registration.
> "Do I have strict requirements for when the announcement should stop being
> delivered in relation to subscriber lifespan?" is still a valid question.
> What you don't have to worry about, is what _type_ of subscription (action
> blocks or message sends), you are allowed to use when registering weakly.
>
> Ends with "In addition, " then nothing :)
>
> Cheers,
> Henry

Re: pharo vision

Apparently the mail was not for the mailing-list. My fingers wrote it but it was not ready yet.
So now you know what I'm working on.

Stef

On Jan 30, 2012, at 9:24 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> <main.pdf>

Re: pharo vision

On Jan 30, 2012, at 4:17 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Thanks Steph! This is much-needed to focus our community and avoid
> unnecessary confusion and chatter.

You got my message :)

Thanks for the copy edit.

Stef

> [...]
> * "Even if theoretically with a 32 bits VM we should be able to run images
> of at least 2 GBs, this is not the case of current available VMs. For
> example, the Windows VM does not support images bigger than 512 MB." ->
> "Although a 32 bit VM can theoretically run images of up to 2 GB, the
> currently available VMs are more limited. For example, the Windows VM does
> not support images bigger than 512 MB."
> pg. 7
> * "Large applications" section is repeated
> * "OpenSophie proved that Smalltalk and Squeak in particular, the ancestor
> of Pharo, are good platforms for building advanced multimedia applications.
> We believe that Pharo can be used in such situation." -> "OpenSophie proved
> that Smalltalk, and Squeak (Pharo's ancestor) in particular, are good
> platforms for building advanced multimedia applications. We believe that

Re: pharo vision

kilon
Thanks stef for this . The document informed me  of things I was not aware of and now after reading it I like Pharo even more .

Re: pharo vision

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks

in fact I wanted to send it to the mailing list of our team because I wanted to gather feedback before sending it to
the mailing-list to ask for another set of feedback.

So I will finish it now :)

Stef

On Jan 30, 2012, at 5:46 PM, dimitris chloupis wrote:

> Thanks stef for this . The document informed me  of things I was not aware of and now after reading it I like Pharo even more .

Re: pharo vision

Igor Stasenko
On 30 January 2012 18:06, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 30 January 2012 15:34, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 30 January 2012 16:17, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Thanks Steph! This is much-needed to focus our community and avoid
>>> unnecessary confusion and chatter.
>>>
>>> A few minor edits to Ch. 1:
>>> pg. 1
>>>        "curved in stone" should be carved
>>
>> No. It is now part of history. It is curved, not carved.
>> There was a postings in mailing list somewhere, discussing that :))
>
> Sean's right. There is no English idiom like "curved in stone".
> "Curved in stone" makes no sense.

Let me turn it like that:
it makes sense exactly because it doesn't makes sense. This idiom were
invented by Stephane,
and part of our history now :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: pharo vision

On Jan 30, 2012, at 5:10 PM, Henrik Johansen wrote:

> On Jan 30, 2012, at 9:24 14AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> <main.pdf>
> Nice!
>
> Some comments on the parts I'm most familiar with:
> 3.2
> I agree, the nice parts in FS to me is the path manipulation API.
> Going back to pure ANSI-streams as provided by FSFileStream is not really an option.
Can you elaborate on your previous sentence?
Because the underlying reason is not 100% clear to me.

> Since it's a clean break from FileDirectory & friends though, it might be the perfect time to introduce XTreams; -or it might be too much hassle to have to change both parts in existing code at once.
>
> A good compromise would be to make it pluggable, using the existing Standard/MultiByteFileStreams by default, but making XStreams pluggable (on a use--by-use basis, so you can write new code with XStreams while maintaining old code where you have only had time to rewrite the path handling)
>
> 3.3
> "Using ephemerons we can then simplify the Announcement and make sure that clients do not have to worry about weak or not registration."
> You still have to worry about whether you want weak or strong registration.
> "Do I have strict requirements for when the announcement should stop being delivered in relation to subscriber lifespan?" is still a valid question.
> What you don't have to worry about, is what _type_ of subscription (action blocks or message sends), you are allowed to use when registering weakly.

Yes this is what I wanted to write :)
Fixed it.

> Ends with "In addition, " then nothing :)

:)
Fixed :)

> Cheers,
> Henry