pier addons

SeanTAllen
is there anywhere where you can get a quick summary of the different
add ons?

a few are detailed on squeaksource but not all of them. loading in
from monticello
and checking them out is always an option, but i wanted to see if
there was a quicker
route.

Re: pier addons

Tudor Girba-3
Some are documented here:
http://www.piercms.com/doc/add-ons

Cheers,
Doru

On 24 May 2009, at 16:49, Sean Allen wrote:

> is there anywhere where you can get a quick summary of the different
> add ons?
>
> a few are detailed on squeaksource but not all of them. loading in
> from monticello
> and checking them out is always an option, but i wanted to see if
> there was a quicker
> route.

www.tudorgirba.com

"Relationships are of two kinds: those we choose and those that
happen. They both matter."

pier forms [ was pier addons ]

SeanTAllen
thanks.

is there any documentation on PierForm somewhere?
i'm trying to figure out how to use it and not getting very far.

i'm either trying to use it for something it isnt designed for
or just doing something fundamentally wrong.

i'm trying to use it to create a form to add events to an events page..
so you can reuse the form to add new events, but i'm just not getting
it correct.
a quick read of any 'pier forms' basics documentation would probably
clear
up most of my questions.

On May 24, 2009, at 12:23 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Some are documented here:
> http://www.piercms.com/doc/add-ons
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 24 May 2009, at 16:49, Sean Allen wrote:
>
>> is there anywhere where you can get a quick summary of the
>> different add ons?
>>
>> a few are detailed on squeaksource but not all of them. loading in
>> from monticello
>> and checking them out is always an option, but i wanted to see if
>> there was a quicker
>> route.

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Relationships are of two kinds: those we choose and those that
> happen. They both matter."

Re: pier forms [ was pier addons ]

Lukas Renggli
> is there any documentation on PierForm somewhere?
> i'm trying to figure out how to use it and not getting very far.

Yes, <http://scg.unibe.ch/archive/masters/Reng06a.pdf> in the section
"3.6.3 Adaptive Forms" (Page 39).

> i'm either trying to use it for something it isnt designed for
> or just doing something fundamentally wrong.

In its current form the implementation does not allow your more than
to enter and edit structured data.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On May 24, 2009, at 1:50 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> is there any documentation on PierForm somewhere?
>> i'm trying to figure out how to use it and not getting very far.
>
> Yes, <http://scg.unibe.ch/archive/masters/Reng06a.pdf> in the section
> "3.6.3 Adaptive Forms" (Page 39).
>
>> i'm either trying to use it for something it isnt designed for
>> or just doing something fundamentally wrong.
>
> In its current form the implementation does not allow your more than
> to enter and edit structured data.

taking the example of the movie actor database from Reng06a.pdf

i create a form to add structured actor info.
how do i reuse that form?

go to an existing entry and copy it and then edit the data?

if i have multiple entries, how do have pier display them so you
can get to them? values:children will display the title in a page
but you cant get to all the structured information.

Re: pier forms [ was pier addons ]

Lukas Renggli
> i create a form to add structured actor info.
> how do i reuse that form?
> go to an existing entry and copy it and then edit the data?

Yes. The meta-model of the form structure is shared, the model is
unique (copied).

> if i have multiple entries, how do have pier display them so you
> can get to them? values:children will display the title in a page
> but you cant get to all the structured information.

PRReportView was a useful view on structured data, I removed it from
Pier-Seaside a couple of weeks ago. It didn't look too useful in the
context of Pier alone. Maybe I should rather have been moved to
Pier-Form, because it was a nice view to display a report on
structured data.

Support for value-links could be improved in the context of Pier-Form,
I haven't touched that plugin for years.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On May 24, 2009, at 4:07 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> if i have multiple entries, how do have pier display them so you
>> can get to them? values:children will display the title in a page
>> but you cant get to all the structured information.
>
> PRReportView was a useful view on structured data, I removed it from
> Pier-Seaside a couple of weeks ago. It didn't look too useful in the
> context of Pier alone. Maybe I should rather have been moved to
> Pier-Form, because it was a nice view to display a report on
> structured data.
>
> Support for value-links could be improved in the context of Pier-Form,
> I haven't touched that plugin for years.

what was Pier-Form used for originally? i'm still having a hard time
imaging how it was used.

Re: pier forms [ was pier addons ]

Lukas Renggli
> what was Pier-Form used for originally? i'm still having a hard time
> imaging how it was used.

It serves as a demo for the meta- and meta-meta capabilities of
Magritte and Pier. The code was published to accompany the tutorial
and to give developers and end-users an idea how to do more advanced
stuff with Magritte.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On May 24, 2009, at 4:35 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> what was Pier-Form used for originally? i'm still having a hard time
>> imaging how it was used.
>
> It serves as a demo for the meta- and meta-meta capabilities of
> Magritte and Pier. The code was published to accompany the tutorial
> and to give developers and end-users an idea how to do more advanced
> stuff with Magritte.

ah. that makes sense.

thanks lukas.