pier at pharoconf

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

At PharoConf Nick and Esteban talked about three very cool additions to Pier:

1: Nick showed PierAdmin. You probably heard about this, but when you see it running, it's pretty impressive. You get it by loading in a Pharo 1.3 or 1.4 image:
Gofer new
        renggli: 'pier3addons';
        package: 'ConfigurationOfPierAddons';
        load.

2: But, the coolest thing is the little addition that Nick created to seamlessly port a Pier 1/2 to a Pier 3. It's called Pier-Exporter-Code (also in pier3addons). I tried it on an older Pier 2 installation I had and it just worked.

3: Esteban showed Voyage, the Magma support for Magritte and Pier. The cool demo he showed went like this: he added the magma persistency, he copied the image manually and spawned it on another port than the original one, and then he showed how both were running in the same time on the same data source. It again, just worked. Essentially, using this, you can scale Pier through multiple images out of the box. Very cool.

The code is here:
http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Voyage.html

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Don't give to get. Just give."

Re: pier at pharoconf

NorbertHartl
You need to exchange "magma" with "mongo" then it is valid ;)

Norbert

Am 28.05.2012 um 15:01 schrieb Tudor Girba:

> Hi,
>
> At PharoConf Nick and Esteban talked about three very cool additions to Pier:
>

> 1: Nick showed PierAdmin. You probably heard about this, but when you see it running, it's pretty impressive. You get it by loading in a Pharo 1.3 or 1.4 image:
> Gofer new
> renggli: 'pier3addons';
> package: 'ConfigurationOfPierAddons';
> load.
>

> 2: But, the coolest thing is the little addition that Nick created to seamlessly port a Pier 1/2 to a Pier 3. It's called Pier-Exporter-Code (also in pier3addons). I tried it on an older Pier 2 installation I had and it just worked.
>

> 3: Esteban showed Voyage, the Magma support for Magritte and Pier. The cool demo he showed went like this: he added the magma persistency, he copied the image manually and spawned it on another port than the original one, and then he showed how both were running in the same time on the same data source. It again, just worked. Essentially, using this, you can scale Pier through multiple images out of the box. Very cool.
>
> The code is here:
> http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Voyage.html
>

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Don't give to get. Just give."

Re: pier at pharoconf

Nick

> 2: But, the coolest thing is the little addition that Nick created to seamlessly port a Pier 1/2 to a Pier 3. It's called Pier-Exporter-Code (also in pier3addons). I tried it on an older Pier 2 installation I had and it just worked.

Thanks for the gentle nudge Doru. I keep meaning to make a screen cast
demoing the new features of Pier Admin as well as how to upgrade from
an old Pier instance to a Pier 3 instance. In the meantime I've
prepared a presentation -
http://www.slideshare.net/nickager/pier-no-kernel-left-behind/ -
hopefully soon I'll get round to creating a screen-cast which will
hopefully make sense of the presentation

Cheers

Nick