pier: google webmaster tools/sitemap

sergio_101-2
i just installed the google webmaster tools component, entered my id,
and i am not sure if there is anything else i need to do to get the
proper meta tag to be rendered.

does anyone know what i need to do next?

also, does this generate a google sitemap? there is a sitemap plugin,
but that generates an html sitemap that won't work with google
webmaster tools..

thanks!

--

----
peace,

http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: pier: google webmaster tools/sitemap

Lukas Renggli
> i just installed the google webmaster tools component, entered my id,
> and i am not sure if there is anything else i need to do to get the
> proper meta tag to be rendered.
>
> does anyone know what i need to do next?

The webmaster tool component is invisible, it only renders the
meta-tag. You can check on the webmaster site if the google crawler
could properly verify it.

> also, does this generate a google sitemap?

No.

> there is a sitemap plugin,
> but that generates an html sitemap that won't work with google
> webmaster tools..

It also generates the XML files, I have never used it on my own sites
though, normally the Google bots find the pages well enough by
themselves. So I don't know how exactly it works.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: pier: google webmaster tools/sitemap

John McKeon
sergio,

Make sure you add a +reference+  to the component somewhere in your page/environment. Like all components, nothing renders until it is added to a page. Even if its rendering is "hidden".

John

http://john-mckeon.us/seaside

Re: pier: google webmaster tools/sitemap

sergio_101-2
> Make sure you add a +reference+  to the component somewhere in your
> page/environment. Like all components, nothing renders until it is added to
> a page. Even if its rendering is "hidden".

that's kinda what i was thinking.. except i didn't know how to make
that tag show up in the <head> tag.. i will look further up the tree..

thanks!

--

----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: pier: google webmaster tools/sitemap

Maarten Mostert-2
Well if someone how this works tht would be cool.
I made a simple sitemap file for my site, and the Google tools agree on the syntax but it does not seem to do anything.
I wanted it to look like a google search for slicehost where ou get a main link and sublinks nicely organised.
Anyone who has done that ?
@+Maarten,

 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
- <urlset xmlns="
http://www.sitemaps.org/schemas/sitemap/0.9">
- <url>
  <loc>http://stakepoint.com/</loc>
  <lastmod>2010-04-13</lastmod>
  <changefreq>monthly</changefreq>
  <priority>0.8</priority>
  </url>
- <url>
  <loc>http://stakepoint.com/multiuser</loc>
  <lastmod>2010-04-13</lastmod>
  <priority>0.3</priority>
  </url>
- <url>
  <loc>http://stakepoint.com/advantages</loc>
  </url>
- <url>
  <loc>http://stakepoint.com/download</loc>
  <lastmod>2010-04-13</lastmod>
  <changefreq>monthly</changefreq>
  <priority>0.3</priority>
  </url>
- <url>
  <loc>http://stakepoint.com/help</loc>
  <priority>0.3</priority>
  </url>
- <url>
  <loc>http://stakepoint.com/news</loc>
  <lastmod>2010-04-13</lastmod>
  <changefreq>monthly</changefreq>
  <priority>0.3</priority>
  </url>
  </urlset>

Re: pier: google webmaster tools/sitemap

sergio_101-2
since it looks like no one has hit this yet, i will take a look at
doing something like this in the next few weeks..

thanks!

----