pier persistency not working right for me

pier persistency not working right for me

EstebanLM
Hi,
Yesterday I had a chain of bad things with my pier image (on production).
First, I learned the bad way that uploafing a 16M file is a bad idea
:(... it hangs my application, maybe not for a problem on pier but my
hosting provider... and very stupid I, that image is the only one who
does not have a VNC server running there so I cannot see what was
happening.
So I tried to start a backup... and there is the problem: last backup
image is from Dec 5 :(
I have a simple image persistence configured there... so I thought I
should have at least one image a day... :( :(
Well, transactions.txt is full of transactions, but I don't know how to
use it for restablish my pier image... what I need to do?

Thanks in advance,
Esteban

pd: of course, right now I'm installing it a VNC server and a few more
things to ensure this will not happen again -at least, it will not
catch me so nude :)

Re: pier persistency not working right for me

Lukas Renggli
> it hangs my application, maybe not for a problem on pier but my hosting
> provider... and very stupid I, that image is the only one who does not have
> a VNC server running there so I cannot see what was happening.
> So I tried to start a backup... and there is the problem: last backup image
> is from Dec 5 :(

There is also the 'Persistency' widget in the group 'Pier System',
that allows admins to configure and observe the state of the
persistency subsystem from within the web browser.

> I have a simple image persistence configured there... so I thought I should
> have at least one image a day... :( :(

It does not safe if there are no changes.

> Well, transactions.txt is full of transactions, but I don't know how to use
> it for restablish my pier image... what I need to do?

I added code to generate that file many years ago while Pier was still
under heavy development. It gave me a good sleep while I already
started to use Pier in many productive images at that time. It was
intended as a short time solution for myself, and I never removed it
although I have never used the output of the file up to now. So I
never wrote code that actually reads it back into an image. I assume
that it could easily be done and should probably added to the image
persistency package.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli