pier & utf-8 & national characters

Petr Fischer-3
Hi,

is national characters handled correctly in pier (in titles, page
content, search...)?

I have troubles using czech characters in pier wiki pages - example
chars:
http://pf.praguesoft.cz/chars.html

Any suggestions? Thanks! pf

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: pier & utf-8 & national characters

Martial Boniou
Accented characters are a common problem with Seaside and Squeak3.9. I
tested your czech characters and it works well in Pier (I use
WAKomEncoded39) but you cannot create post in Pier-Blog or name a new
page with those characters because there is a problem (for instance I
hope it's a temporary one) with the url.

See
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2007-May/012037.html
and:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2007-May/012133.html

Actually I think there is a double pass in the url parsing but I have no
time (and experience) to dive in the core of seaside code. I observed
that when you write accented character in pier new page, there is a
conversion from UTF8 (or WideString in my case) to HTML percent
convention characters and it works during the session but when sessions
expire, Seaside build a new url and then the percent character are sort
of re-parse. It doesn't look like a big issue but except Yengawa I don't
read anything about a possible solution.

I suppose Seaside (on Squeak) could be find for accented characters when
someone could simply create a new entry in dispatcher with an accented
character.

For anything else, Pier and Seaside correctly display encoding inside
page (WAKom too but there is no way to inspect it inside Squeak). In
Pier when I want a page with a title with accented characters, I create
a page with a non-accented characters' name and I rename the title with
the accented one, so the url has no escape percent characters and the
title is well displayed (a lot of PHP sites use this tip by converting
every accented char in no-accented one and space in underscore; I
believe it is a bad solution).

I hope it helps,

Martial

Petr Fischer a écrit :
| Hi,
|
| is national characters handled correctly in pier (in titles, page
| content, search...)?
|
| I have troubles using czech characters in pier wiki pages - example
| chars:
| http://pf.praguesoft.cz/chars.html
|
| Any suggestions? Thanks! pf

Re: pier & utf-8 & national characters

Lukas Renggli-2
> is national characters handled correctly in pier (in titles, page
> content, search...)?

It works well for me, see the Korean and Japanese comments in my
blog. If you copy and paste some of these characters into the search
input it also works:

        http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/blog/studenckifestwal

What you have to do is to use a patched version of Kom, as I
described here:

        http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2007-May/
012133.html

I believe (but I am not 100% sure) that you get such a version if you
use the Installer of Seaside or Pier from SqueakMap. Then you use
WAKom (not WAKomEncoded*). Text that you enter into Pier will come
back exactly the same way (UTF-8 all the way down).

Now for the URLs thats an entirely different story. For now I suggest
that you just stick with the character set [A-Za-z0-9], you should
consider doing this to improve accessibility anyway.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Problem with Pier-Forms

Tapple Gao
I am trying to run the Pier-Forms demo from page 48-54 of
Lukas's thesis. I cannot get it working. Here is what I am
doing:

1. Start from squeak-web-118 image
2. Update all pier and magritte packages from universes
3. Install the Pier-Forms code from Lukas's thesis (attached)
4. go to http://localhost:8080/seaside/pier
5. Add a Form
6. Do Edit Form

This results in an error that PFEditFormCommand has no label,
even though it does.

Pier-Forms-mtf.1.mcz (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Problem with Pier-Forms

Lukas Renggli-2
> I am trying to run the Pier-Forms demo from page 48-54 of
> Lukas's thesis. I cannot get it working. Here is what I am
> doing:
>
> 1. Start from squeak-web-118 image
> 2. Update all pier and magritte packages from universes
> 3. Install the Pier-Forms code from Lukas's thesis (attached)
> 4. go to http://localhost:8080/seaside/pier
> 5. Add a Form
> 6. Do Edit Form
>
> This results in an error that PFEditFormCommand has no label,
> even though it does.
>
> --
> Matthew Fulmer -- http://mtfulmer.wordpress.com/
> Help improve Squeak Documentation: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/808
> <Pier-Forms-mtf.1.mcz>

Pier and Magritte changed quite a bit in the past year, therefor the
code in the tesis doesn't work literally anymore.

Please load (or compare your code with)

        Name: Pier-Forms-lr.18
        Author: lr
        Time: 26 May 2007, 9:43:50 am
        UUID: ab4c9737-957d-4b16-a3e5-e253f1d58096
        Ancestors: Pier-Forms-lr.17

from

        http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pier

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Problem with Pier-Forms

Tapple Gao
On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 09:47:38AM +0200, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> > I am trying to run the Pier-Forms demo from page 48-54 of
> > Lukas's thesis. I cannot get it working. Here is what I am
> > doing:
>
> Pier and Magritte changed quite a bit in the past year, therefor the
> code in the tesis doesn't work literally anymore.
>
> Please load (or compare your code with)
>
> Name: Pier-Forms-lr.18
> Author: lr
> Time: 26 May 2007, 9:43:50 am
> UUID: ab4c9737-957d-4b16-a3e5-e253f1d58096
> Ancestors: Pier-Forms-lr.17
>
> from
>
> http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/pier

Thanks. That worked great!