pier2?

12

Re: pier2?

Yanni Chiu
I think "update Seaside to the latest codebase" does NOT mean load the
latest Metacello version, which is what you did. It means that you need
to load the latest version of each Seaside package. I'm not sure how
that's done with Metacello.

Germán Arduino wrote:

> ok, I tried to update Seaside, installing the latest
> ConfigurationOfSeaside30 (ConfigurationOfSeaside30-dkh.148)
>
> and then evaluating: (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30)
> perform: #loadLatestVersion.
>

> 2010/5/18 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:
>> You also need to update Seaside to the latest codebase.
>>
>> Lukas

Re: pier2?

garduino
mm, not sure, I'm not now on the machine were I did the update, but I
think that ConfigurationOfSeaside30 with #loadLatestVersion install
the latest version of each package.

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 12:48 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
mm, not sure, I'm not now on the machine were I did the update, but I
think that ConfigurationOfSeaside30 with #loadLatestVersion install
the latest version of each package.

No. It install the (moticello) version defined in the latest version of the metacello configuration. Of course, they be not the last ones.

Cheers

2010/5/18 Yanni Chiu <[hidden email]>:
> I think "update Seaside to the latest codebase" does NOT mean load the
> latest Metacello version, which is what you did. It means that you need to
> load the latest version of each Seaside package. I'm not sure how that's
> done with Metacello.
>

> Germán Arduino wrote:
>>
>> ok, I tried to update Seaside, installing the latest
>> ConfigurationOfSeaside30 (ConfigurationOfSeaside30-dkh.148)
>>
>> and then evaluating: (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30)
>> perform: #loadLatestVersion.
>>

>> 2010/5/18 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> You also need to update Seaside to the latest codebase.
>>>
>>> Lukas

Re: pier2?

garduino
Then I'm a bit confused.

Is not that is possible to mention a package, for example
"MyFantasticPackage" to make that Metacello install the latest version
of it that found on the monticello repository?

Is not this the right way of not mention each new package version, and
be sure that the latest one will be installed with the same
configuration?

Cheers.
Germán.

2010/5/18 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 12:48 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> mm, not sure, I'm not now on the machine were I did the update, but I
>> think that ConfigurationOfSeaside30 with #loadLatestVersion install
>> the latest version of each package.
>
> No. It install the (moticello) version defined in the latest version of the
> metacello configuration. Of course, they be not the last ones.
>
> Cheers
>

>> 2010/5/18 Yanni Chiu <[hidden email]>:
>> > I think "update Seaside to the latest codebase" does NOT mean load the
>> > latest Metacello version, which is what you did. It means that you need
>> > load the latest version of each Seaside package. I'm not sure how that's
>> > done with Metacello.

Re: pier2?

Miguel Cobá
El mar, 18-05-2010 a las 20:45 -0300, Germán Arduino escribió:
> Then I'm a bit confused.
>
> Is not that is possible to mention a package, for example
> "MyFantasticPackage" to make that Metacello install the latest version
> of it that found on the monticello repository?
>
> Is not this the right way of not mention each new package version, and
> be sure that the latest one will be installed with the same
> configuration?

Remember, Metacello is a tool for specifying working, tested, but mainly
reproducible install of a given software package. This means that
someone has tested that a given set of versions of monticello mcz
packages work together correctly.
If you want to install the very last ones versions of mcz packages in a
repository, this can sometimes work, sometime not, depending on the
speed of updating of the package. Maybe you install when the developer
is uploading the 10th mcz of a total of 50 mcz packages that conform the
software version.

If you only want the last version of each mcz package you can use Gofer
or Installer or simply open the Monticello browser. Metacello isn't
geared towards that case use.

Cheers

> Cheers.
> Germán.
>

> 2010/5/18 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> >

> > On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 12:48 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> mm, not sure, I'm not now on the machine were I did the update, but I
> >> think that ConfigurationOfSeaside30 with #loadLatestVersion install
> >> the latest version of each package.
> >
> > No. It install the (moticello) version defined in the latest version of the
> > metacello configuration. Of course, they be not the last ones.
> >
> > Cheers

> >> --

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: pier2?

garduino
Understand.

I think that is suitable to this way of use when we are talking of
tools that are being developed, then usually (to beta versions for
example) we will want the latest of each package (because lot of times
are fixes or so).

Cheers.
Germán.

El día 18 de mayo de 2010 20:53, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez
<[hidden email]> escribió:

> El mar, 18-05-2010 a las 20:45 -0300, Germán Arduino escribió:
>> Then I'm a bit confused.
>>
>> Is not that is possible to mention a package, for example
>> "MyFantasticPackage" to make that Metacello install the latest version
>> of it that found on the monticello repository?
>>
>> Is not this the right way of not mention each new package version, and
>> be sure that the latest one will be installed with the same
>> configuration?
>
> Remember, Metacello is a tool for specifying working, tested, but mainly
> reproducible install of a given software package. This means that
> someone has tested that a given set of versions of monticello mcz
> packages work together correctly.
> If you want to install the very last ones versions of mcz packages in a
> repository, this can sometimes work, sometime not, depending on the
> speed of updating of the package. Maybe you install when the developer
> is uploading the 10th mcz of a total of 50 mcz packages that conform the
> software version.
>
> If you only want the last version of each mcz package you can use Gofer
> or Installer or simply open the Monticello browser. Metacello isn't
> geared towards that case use.
>
> Cheers
>>
>> Cheers.
>> Germán.

>> > No. It install the (moticello) version defined in the latest version of the
>> > metacello configuration. Of course, they be not the last ones.
>> >
>> > Cheers

> Miguel Cobá
> http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Garbage collecting kernels and configurations

Reza Razavi
Hello,

When I execute *PRKernel allInstances* in my working image, I
currently get 4 instances, instead of one, which are mostly cross
referenced by:
1) either obsolete block closures as follows:
        [closure] in PRContext>>activationCallback
2) or, by WAValueExpressions with #kernel as key, and aPRKernel as value
        (probably again related to the closure in PRPierConfiguration >> describeOn:)

One of the kernels has close to 2500 references of type (1).

I'd like to know if somebody else has had a similar experience, and
what would be the most straitforward solution to get ride of them
(and avoid this situation in the future)?

FYI, I've been systematically executing *WAEnvironment
reloadApplications*, which seems inefficient, since just nils the
pointers, and does specifically not handle the cross references
inside the configuration objects.

Thank you in advance for your insights.
Regards,
Reza

Server side dialog during export

Reza Razavi

I'd like to share that since the code in PRExportImportWidget >>
export: has been partly moved to PRKernel >> exportOn:, now its call
to #inform: opens a dialog box on the server, instead of a web page
on the client side ;-)

Regards,
Reza

12