platforms/Nopsys submodule

Ben Coman
In the network graph hovering over charig/2-March commit I see a new
platform Nopsys added for SqueakNOS.
  [A] https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/network

Thats cool !!!    It'll be great to see this work with OpenSmalltalk.
However I notice its been added as a submodule.
  [B] https://github.com/charig/opensmalltalk-vm/commit/2bd87b525b6b46439c90506c0a47e17ea1d5ac93

Submodules bring additional complexity, so I thought there should be
some discussion on this topic.
Here are a couple of balanced introductions to submodules...
  [C] http://www.catalyst-au.net/blog/git-submodule-misunderstood-beast-or-remorseless-slavering-monster
  [D] https://www.philosophicalhacker.com/post/using-git-submodules-effectively/

And a couple of cautions about using them...
  [E] http://slopjong.de/2013/06/04/git-why-submodules-are-evil/
  [F] https://rufflewind.com/2017-02-21/quirks-with-submodules

Guido & Javier,
Have you used submodules successfully elsewhere?
Could you discuss your strategy using a submodule for the platform
code rather than adding directly into the opensmalltalk-vm repository?

I see your parent repository includes opensmalltalk-vm as a submodule
similar to how I *thought* Pharo was doing it, but wait on comment
from Esteban. .
  [G] https://github.com/charig/Nopsys
  [H] https://github.com/charig/Nopsys/blob/master/.gitmodules
So it seems   platforms/Nopsys   is a sub-sub-module.

Esteban,
I thought that you were using submodules to incorporate
opensmalltlak-vm into the pharo-vm,
but I can't see a .gitmodules file there.
  [I] https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm
So did you do it another way, or am I missing something?
Could you report your experience with adding opensmalltalk-vm into the
pharo-vm repository?

cheers -ben

Re: platforms/Nopsys submodule

Guido Chari
Hi,

We didn't expect to be found yet :). But well...we are actually working on a second revival of the SqueakNOS project. Hope to give news in the mailing list soon, but we are still far from having something working with all the new stuff.

Concerning submodules, yes there are plenty of arguments for and against. I've been using them successfully in some projects depending on the Truffle/Graal platform. Nonetheless, in case we managed to make progress and the community is interested on the results, for sure we will be open to discuss about this.

Best,
Guido.

[...]

jan.struz
please stop for a while... I want to show you something...

Actually it is already done...
Save The World!

Re: platforms/Nopsys submodule

Denis Kudriashov
This is so cool!!!

please stop for a while... I want to show you something...

Actually it is already done...
Save The World!

Re: platforms/Nopsys submodule

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi jan

this is super cool.
Now with the bootstrap of the system as well as the possibility using guille approach to generate smaller image this open a lot of space.

stef

This is so cool!!!

Announcement here: http://forum.world.st/ANN-PharoNOS-td4939247.html
Save The World!

On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 11:24 PM, Guido Chari <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

We didn't expect to be found yet :).

haHaaa!! *grin*   the many eyeballs of opensource strikes again!
Hopefully there is some benefit in my poking my nose to learn of Jan's work.
Release early, Release often is the mantra on the day.

btw, This history page initially confused me...
The top five commits (Oct 25 - Nov 3) are Jan's 2016 work.
Commit six (Apr 7) and lower is your work from 2011.
Its a pain there is nothing to indicate such a jump in time.

cheers -ben

[...]

Dale Henrichs-3

If there are discussions about submodules, I would like to participate ... submodules have a lot of the flavor of a ConfigurationOf where a new version needs to be created when the sub-project's version changes - I think I've got that detail right - this cause tight coupling between projects and makes cross-platform usage of such projects nearly impossible...

All of this doesn't mean that there aren't specific cases where submodules may make sense ...

Dale