please test 2.0

12

Re: please test 2.0

Max Leske

On 01.03.2013, at 15:36, Martin Dias <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 10:55 PM, Yanni Chiu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 25/02/13 4:25 PM, Martin Dias wrote:
>>>

>>> What version was you loading?
>>

>> Fuel-MartinDias.685 which corresponds to version 1.8
>>

>>> (actually, the code that has been integrated should be the definitive
>>> one for Fuel 1.9, but the configuration still needs a revision for old
>>> Pharos)
>>

>> Would it be easy to unload Fuel 1.9 from Pharo-2.0, and load Fuel 1.8
>> instead?
>
> I tried to load Fuel 1.8 in Pharo 2.0 but it seems that there is an
> incompatibility with Date and DateAndTime…

Should work from 1.8.1 on upwards though...

Re: please test 2.0

Yanni Chiu

On 01/03/13 10:10 AM, Max Leske wrote:

> On 01.03.2013, at 15:36, Martin Dias <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 10:55 PM, Yanni Chiu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Would it be easy to unload Fuel 1.9 from Pharo-2.0, and load Fuel 1.8
>>> instead?
>>
>> I tried to load Fuel 1.8 in Pharo 2.0 but it seems that there is an
>> incompatibility with Date and DateAndTime…
>
> Should work from 1.8.1 on upwards though...

The description for 1.8.1 says:

- same as 1.8
- fix: serialization / materialization of Date objects.

The description for 1.8.2 says:

- Date / DateAndTime are now serialized consistently across different
images (Squeak and Pharo)

So, the question is: will something serialized by 1.8, load into 1.8.1,
1.8.2? I guess I'll find out shortly.

My other option is to do the migration to 1.9 in Pharo-1.4, before
moving to Pharo-2.0. BTW, the slowest part of a migration is upgrading
the Fuel version for each set of Fuel files being migrated. Do you think
it would work to have a Fuel Tanker file for Fuel version 1.9, that can
be quickly loaded? Hold on - that would mean you'd need some version of
Fuel loaded.

Re: please test 2.0

tinchodias
I'm sorry but AFAIK you won't be able to materialize in 1.8.x the files you serialized with 1.8. Maybe Max has some trick to do it?

And you are true: tanker needs fuel so it won't work :)

Some time ago we thought in a nasty way of have two versions of fuel at the same time: take a fuel version, then rename all extension methods adding a prefix. But it's ugly and it should be done with care.

This year I realised that it is possible to hack the image to enable several versions of the same package at the same time. I should ask Marcus again about this, I think it should be a good solution. Others in this mailing-list can correct me, but IMO to do it well, we first need a good modules system... but before maybe we can do some hacky solution to easy migration of files. It could be fun.

Martin

On 01/03/13 1:54 PM, Martin Dias wrote:
> I'm sorry but AFAIK you won't be able to materialize in 1.8.x the files
> you serialized with 1.8. Maybe Max has some trick to do it?

I got an exception:

     FLBadVersion: Materialization error. Unexpected stream version 18
where it should be 182.

I disabled the version check, and things loaded fine. But, I've yet to
find a saved file with a Date or DateAndTime instance.

12