poor state of fuel

NorbertHartl
I'm migrating most of my projects to pharo 6.1 at the moment. I come from pharo 4, I skipped pharo 5. I use 64 bit which removes a lot of stuff that does not need to be installed and makes deployment better. That really feels much better.

I use jenkins and there if a test fails a fuel dump is written to disk. The jenkins server is ubuntu linux with the vm of the opensuse build. My laptop has Mac OS and cannot read back those fuel dumps. I use the same image version on jenkins and my laptop. Both are 64bit.

I asked that on discord and there was a mentioning that not only the 64 bit fuel has problems. So I wanted to ask what is the state of fuel right now. I consider fuel one of the core technologies in pharo and it is sad if it just stops working.

Any feedback is highly appreciated,

Norbert

Re: poor state of fuel

Max Leske
Hi Norbert,

We still maintain Fuel.

I was not aware of the problem you describe. Could you open an issue on github (https://github.com/theseion/Fuel/issues) with a detailed explanation and, if possible, steps to reproduce the problem?

Cheers,
Max

On 29 August 2017 at 11:04:34, Norbert Hartl ([hidden email]) wrote:

I'm migrating most of my projects to pharo 6.1 at the moment. I come from pharo 4, I skipped pharo 5. I use 64 bit which removes a lot of stuff that does not need to be installed and makes deployment better. That really feels much better.

I use jenkins and there if a test fails a fuel dump is written to disk. The jenkins server is ubuntu linux with the vm of the opensuse build. My laptop has Mac OS and cannot read back those fuel dumps. I use the same image version on jenkins and my laptop. Both are 64bit.

I asked that on discord and there was a mentioning that not only the 64 bit fuel has problems. So I wanted to ask what is the state of fuel right now. I consider fuel one of the core technologies in pharo and it is sad if it just stops working.

Any feedback is highly appreciated,

Norbert

Re: poor state of fuel

Tim Mackinnon
As a small data point, a fuel file written out on AWS Lambda Linux (not sure what version - I think it's an ubuntu, but they don't really say), is readable on OS X 64bit .

So it seems like you must have found something unusual.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

On 29 Aug 2017, at 11:13, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Norbert

Re: poor state of fuel

Max Leske
Thanks Tim.

Norbert, I just saw that I have already created an issue for the 64-bit problems. I don’t know whether tackling that will help you though. In any case, I’ll see that we try to work on those problems.

I can’t give you an exact timeline because I will be on holiday but I guess I can make an integration by around mid September.

Cheers,
Max

On 29 August 2017 at 16:09:06, Tim Mackinnon ([hidden email]) wrote:

[...]

Norbert

Norbert

Norbert

Re: poor state of fuel

Hannes Hirzel
On 8/29/17, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As a small data point, a fuel file written out on AWS Lambda Linux (not sure
> what version - I think it's an ubuntu, but they don't really say), is
> readable on OS X 64bit .

By the same image or a different one?

--Hannes

> So it seems like you must have found something unusual.
>
> Tim
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 29 Aug 2017, at 11:13, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Norbert,
>>
>> We still maintain Fuel.
>>
>> I was not aware of the problem you describe. Could you open an issue on
>> github (https://github.com/theseion/Fuel/issues) with a detailed
>> explanation and, if possible, steps to reproduce the problem?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Max
>>
>>> On 29 August 2017 at 11:04:34, Norbert Hartl ([hidden email]) wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm migrating most of my projects to pharo 6.1 at the moment. I come from
>>> pharo 4, I skipped pharo 5. I use 64 bit which removes a lot of stuff
>>> that does not need to be installed and makes deployment better. That
>>> really feels much better.
>>>
>>> I use jenkins and there if a test fails a fuel dump is written to disk.
>>> The jenkins server is ubuntu linux with the vm of the opensuse build. My
>>> laptop has Mac OS and cannot read back those fuel dumps. I use the same
>>> image version on jenkins and my laptop. Both are 64bit.
>>>
>>> I asked that on discord and there was a mentioning that not only the 64
>>> bit fuel has problems. So I wanted to ask what is the state of fuel right
>>> now. I consider fuel one of the core technologies in pharo and it is sad
>>> if it just stops working.
>>>
>>> Any feedback is highly appreciated,
>>>
>>> Norbert

Re: poor state of fuel

Tim Mackinnon
Actually in my case they are similar but not identical images.

The Lambda image is a minimal early 7.0 one - but it is beforecthe massive reworks that were announced. On top of this it has my project loaded.

The OS X image is a fat 6.1 with the same project loaded. (So a superset).

I am saving the walkback context.

Fuel warns that images need to be similar for it to map objects - so my scenario fits that (the same image would be easier I assume).

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

> On 29 Aug 2017, at 23:58, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 8/29/17, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As a small data point, a fuel file written out on AWS Lambda Linux (not sure
>> what version - I think it's an ubuntu, but they don't really say), is
>> readable on OS X 64bit .
>
> By the same image or a different one?
>
> --Hannes
>
>> So it seems like you must have found something unusual.
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On 29 Aug 2017, at 11:13, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Norbert,
>>>
>>> We still maintain Fuel.
>>>
>>> I was not aware of the problem you describe. Could you open an issue on
>>> github (https://github.com/theseion/Fuel/issues) with a detailed
>>> explanation and, if possible, steps to reproduce the problem?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Max

Re: poor state of fuel

Hannes Hirzel
On 8/30/17, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Actually in my case they are similar but not identical images.

Good to know a slightly different image still can cope with a fuel
file written by another image.

Probably the results depends on which types of objects you have written.

Not sure about the influence of changes in class definitions.

--Hannes

> The Lambda image is a minimal early 7.0 one - but it is beforecthe massive
> reworks that were announced. On top of this it has my project loaded.
>
> The OS X image is a fat 6.1 with the same project loaded. (So a superset).
>
> I am saving the walkback context.
>
> Fuel warns that images need to be similar for it to map objects - so my
> scenario fits that (the same image would be easier I assume).
>
> Tim
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Re: poor state of fuel

Max Leske
Hannes,

In general it doesn't matter "how much" two images differ. What is relevant are the changes to the graph of objects that are part of a snapshot, and that includes changes to classes that are either part of the graph or have instances that are part of the graph.

It is possible to reshape objects upon loading (https://rmod.inria.fr/web/software/Fuel/Version1.9/Documentation/Migration) but it is certainly not automatic (some automatic migrations are possible).

One particular problem that can pop up, if you fuel out methods, are methods who's bytecode has changed. Fuel will then stop with an error.

Cheers,
Max

On 30 August 2017 at 12:56:04, H. Hirzel ([hidden email]) wrote:

On 8/30/17, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Actually in my case they are similar but not identical images.

Good to know a slightly different image still can cope with a fuel
file written by another image.

Probably the results depends on which types of objects you have written.

Not sure about the influence of changes in class definitions.

--Hannes

> The Lambda image is a minimal early 7.0 one - but it is beforecthe massive
> reworks that were announced. On top of this it has my project loaded.
>
> The OS X image is a fat 6.1 with the same project loaded. (So a superset).
>
> I am saving the walkback context.
>
> Fuel warns that images need to be similar for it to map objects - so my
> scenario fits that (the same image would be easier I assume).
>
> Tim
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Re: poor state of fuel

NorbertHartl
Max,

Just an update. Martin commited a new package that solves the encoding/decoding of SmallInteger and Character. Together with the patch from nicolas my dumps work again

Norbert

Am 29.08.2017 um 21:42 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Norbert

Re: poor state of fuel

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 10-09-17 09:56, Norbert Hartl wrote:
> Just an update. Martin commited a new package that solves the
> encoding/decoding of SmallInteger and Character. Together with the patch
> from nicolas my dumps work again

That sounds like something to backport to 6.1
I'll check tomorrow if that also solves my vm crash

Stephan

Re: poor state of fuel

NorbertHartl

> Am 10.09.2017 um 15:08 schrieb stephan <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On 10-09-17 09:56, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>> Just an update. Martin commited a new package that solves the encoding/decoding of SmallInteger and Character. Together with the patch from nicolas my dumps work again
>
> That sounds like something to backport to 6.1
> I'll check tomorrow if that also solves my vm crash

It works for 6.1 because that is what I'm using.

Norbert
> Stephan

Re: poor state of fuel

Hannes Hirzel
On 9/10/17, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Max,
>
> Just an update. Martin commited a new package that solves the
> encoding/decoding of SmallInteger and Character. Together with the patch
> from nicolas my dumps work again
>
> Norbert

You mean you managed to export Fuel objects in Pharo 4 and import them
in Pharo 6.1?

--Hannes

>> Am 29.08.2017 um 21:42 schrieb Max Leske <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Thanks Tim.
>>
>> Norbert, I just saw that I have already created an issue for the 64-bit
>> problems. I don’t know whether tackling that will help you though. In any
>> case, I’ll see that we try to work on those problems.
>>
>> I can’t give you an exact timeline because I will be on holiday but I
>> guess I can make an integration by around mid September.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Max
>>

>>> On 29 August 2017 at 16:09:06, Tim Mackinnon ([hidden email]) wrote:
>>>
>>> As a small data point, a fuel file written out on AWS Lambda Linux (not
>>> sure what version - I think it's an ubuntu, but they don't really say),
>>> is readable on OS X 64bit .
>>>
>>> So it seems like you must have found something unusual.
>>>
>>> Tim
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: poor state of fuel

NorbertHartl

> Am 11.09.2017 um 09:35 schrieb H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On 9/10/17, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Max,
>>
>> Just an update. Martin commited a new package that solves the
>> encoding/decoding of SmallInteger and Character. Together with the patch
>> from nicolas my dumps work again
>>
>> Norbert
>
> You mean you managed to export Fuel objects in Pharo 4 and import them
> in Pharo 6.1?

No, written in 6.1 64 bit and read in 6.1 bit 64 bit.

Norbert