classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

pop-out IDE tabs?

Siemen Baader
Hi All,

what do you think of the idea of allowing the IDE to pop out to a separate browser window, and likewise its tabs?

My use case is this:

I prefer to arrange the windows with the information I need side by side on a large monitor. In this way I can have separate windows with both a full view of my running web app, the editor of the current method I'm writing, and a class browser.

I know this would require restructuring of the IDE's architecture, but since Helios is already dealing with a sever-side VM, and we have our own server script, it might be worthwhile.

What do you think?

-- Siemen

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "amber-lang" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: pop-out IDE tabs?

Herby Vojčík
Helios does this (run require('amber/helpers').popupHelios() in JS console), and old IDE is being left to retire, so probably nothing will be added to it.

Herby

Siemen Baader wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> what do you think of the idea of allowing the IDE to pop out to a separate browser window, and likewise its tabs?
>
> My use case is this:
>
> I prefer to arrange the windows with the information I need side by side on a large monitor. In this way I can have separate windows with both a full view of my running web app, the editor of the current method I'm writing, and a class browser.
>
> I know this would require restructuring of the IDE's architecture, but since Helios is already dealing with a sever-side VM, and we have our own server script, it might be worthwhile.
>
> What do you think?
>
> -- Siemen
>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "amber-lang" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: pop-out IDE tabs?

Siemen Baader

On 03 Dec 2013, at 14:35, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Helios does this (run require('amber/helpers').popupHelios() in JS console), and old IDE is being left to retire, so probably nothing will be added to it.

Very cool, I didn't know that! How does it communicate with the VM in the host html page?

This is a great start. I can see both my whole browser window and Helios. But unfortunately, running popupHelios() twice replaces the contents of the popup, so I cannot create multiple popups and see several tabs of the IDE at once.

Is anyone else interested in opening the IDE tabs (SUnit, Workspace, Transcript and Browser) as genuine (target='_blank') browser tabs?

This would allow us to arrange, dock and undock them using the native browser & window manager. This would solve my problem of eg using the Workspace and browsing APIs with the class browser at the same time.

-- Siemen

>
> Herby
>
> Siemen Baader wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> what do you think of the idea of allowing the IDE to pop out to a separate browser window, and likewise its tabs?
>>
>> My use case is this:
>>
>> I prefer to arrange the windows with the information I need side by side on a large monitor. In this way I can have separate windows with both a full view of my running web app, the editor of the current method I'm writing, and a class browser.
>>
>> I know this would require restructuring of the IDE's architecture, but since Helios is already dealing with a sever-side VM, and we have our own server script, it might be worthwhile.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> -- Siemen
>>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "amber-lang" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

--