popup helios

NorbertHartl
I've found some time to get back into amber business. Of course I updated to the master because I like to have the most unstable stuff. Especially I'm curious about the require.js integration.
To test something I wanted to load a page and open helios in a second window. Researching I've found some hints about using

amber.popupHelios()

but I can't even find the word popup using grep though all the sources. Did this change? What would be the actual way of achieving this?

Ah, and btw. how can I specify the require.js information for my packages? I assume I can specify something in smalltalk so that when javascript is compiled the require stuff is added to the js file.

thanks,

Norbert

P.S.: Helios is look cool and I like having back cmd+s for saving

Re: popup helios

Herby Vojčík

Norbert Hartl wrote:
> I've found some time to get back into amber business. Of course I updated to the master because I like to have the most unstable stuff. Especially I'm curious about the require.js integration.
> To test something I wanted to load a page and open helios in a second window. Researching I've found some hints about using
>
> amber.popupHelios()

It went away when whole amber object went away with the new loader. The "pop up helios" functionality must be added somewhere if requested (and such place is found; the new loader defines no globals, unlike one before; but it can be in dedicated requirejs module).

> Ah, and btw. how can I specify the require.js information for my packages? I assume I can specify something in smalltalk so that when javascript is compiled the require stuff is added to the js file.

amberc has -n option to specify namespace (path prefix that is put before slash). Every package must have one, and packages located at the same place sh
ould have the same one.

Look at http://github.com/herby/trapped to see this in action in .html files.

Re: popup helios

John McKeon
That is awesome Herby.
Thanks

John

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 6:35 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

Norbert Hartl wrote:
[...]

jmck.seasidehosting.st

Re: popup helios

NorbertHartl

Am 30.08.2013 um 00:35 schrieb Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]>:

> Norbert Hartl wrote:
>> I've found some time to get back into amber business. Of course I updated to the master because I like to have the most unstable stuff. Especially I'm curious about the require.js integration.
>> To test something I wanted to load a page and open helios in a second window. Researching I've found some hints about using
>>
>> amber.popupHelios()
>
> It went away when whole amber object went away with the new loader. The "pop up helios" functionality must be added somewhere if requested (and such place is found; the new loader defines no globals, unlike one before; but it can be in dedicated requirejs module).

Ok, but what was it supposed to do? Just open a window that loads helios? What was the rationale regarding working mode for the popup thing? Having one window with amber and one with the app? That would mean the app page needs to be reloaded when something has been changed though the IDE. Or were there some connections between the two windows that enabled cool stuff while developing.

>> Ah, and btw. how can I specify the require.js information for my packages? I assume I can specify something in smalltalk so that when javascript is compiled the require stuff is added to the js file.
>
> amberc has -n option to specify namespace (path prefix that is put before slash). Every package must have one, and packages located at the same place sh
> ould have the same one.
>
> Look at http://github.com/herby/trapped to see this in action in .html files.

I think the right question would have been: Who produces the define() in each javascript file and where does get its information from?

Do you have an estimate how much work it would be to make r.js work? I don't know require.js good enough to see how the shim config can be avoided. It seems the r.js does not like shim configs but the paths are defined in support/amber.js which is a shimmed config.

thanks,

Norbert

Re: popup helios

Herby Vojčík

Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Am 30.08.2013 um 00:35 schrieb Herby Vojčík<[hidden email]>:
>

>> Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>> I've found some time to get back into amber business. Of course I
>>> updated to the master because I like to have the most unstable
>>> stuff. Especially I'm curious about the require.js integration.
>>> To test something I wanted to load a page and open helios in a
>>> second window. Researching I've found some hints about using
>>>
>>> amber.popupHelios()
>> It went away when whole amber object went away with the new loader.
>> The "pop up helios" functionality must be added somewhere if
>> requested (and such place is found; the new loader defines no
>> globals, unlike one before; but it can be in dedicated requirejs
>> module).
>>
> Ok, but what was it supposed to do? Just open a window that loads
> helios? What was the rationale regarding working mode for the popup
> thing? Having one window with amber and one with the app? That would
> mean the app page needs to be reloaded whe
n something has been changed though the IDE. Or were there some
connections between the two windows that enabled cool stuff while
developing.

These are question Nicolas can answer better, popupHelios was his creation.

>>> Ah, and btw. how can I specify the require.js information for my
>>> packages? I assume I can specify something in smalltalk so that when
>>> javascript is compiled the require stuff is added to the js file.
>> amberc has -n option to specify namespace (path prefix that is put
>> before slash). Every package must have one, and packages located at
>> the same place sh
>> ould have the same one.
>>
>> Look at http://github.com/herby/trapped to see this in action in
>> .html files.
>
> I think the right question would have been: Who produces the define()
> in each javascript file and where does get its information from?
>
> Do you have an estimate how much work it would be to make r.js work? I
> don't know require.js good enough to see how the shim config can be
> avoided. It seems
the r.js does not like shim configs but the paths are defined in
support/amber.js which is a shimmed config.

Well, r.js is for node and require.js is for browser. All shim
configurations in amber.js (the whole amber.js if we're at it) is
browser-specific thing. So do not mix them - amber.js and r.js live in
two different worlds.

AMD format works fine in node world as well - amberc produces
concatenated programs from amber code fine - look for example at test
directory where amber_test_runner.js is produced by such process
wherever you run 'npm test'.

To answer 'who defines define' you must first speciify in what
environment. In browser, require.min.js defines it; in node, it is
injected by amberc compiler (using amdefine fot it), as you can see in
the test runner example from previous paragraph.

> thanks,
>
> Norbert

Herby

P.S.: To your question on r.js - I don't know, it did not fit the
pattern exactly because it does not provide define for outer context, so
I used am
define for node environment. Hopefully, James Burke will reflect the
issue I raised and when r.js willl have define available in outer
context, it may be used instead. But amdefine plays the role for
concatenated amberc programs well enough.

Re: popup helios

NorbertHartl

Am 30.08.2013 um 16:59 schrieb Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]>:

> Norbert Hartl wrote:

>>> It went away when whole amber object went away with the new loader.
>>> The "pop up helios" functionality must be added somewhere if
>>> requested (and such place is found; the new loader defines no
>>> globals, unlike one before; but it can be in dedicated requirejs
>>> module).
>>>
>> Ok, but what was it supposed to do? Just open a window that loads
>> helios? What was the rationale regarding working mode for the popup
>> thing? Having one window with amber and one with the app? That would
>> mean the app page needs to be reloaded whe
> n something has been changed though the IDE. Or were there some connections between the two windows that enabled cool stuff while developing.
>
> These are question Nicolas can answer better, popupHelios was his creation.

>>> amberc has -n option to specify namespace (path prefix that is put
>>> before slash). Every package must have one, and packages located at
>>> the same place sh
>>> ould have the same one.
>>>
>>> Look at http://github.com/herby/trapped to see this in action in
>>> .html files.
>>
>> I think the right question would have been: Who produces the define()
>> in each javascript file and where does get its information from?
>>
>> Do you have an estimate how much work it would be to make r.js work? I
>> don't know require.js good enough to see how the shim config can be
>> avoided. It seems
> the r.js does not like shim configs but the paths are defined in support/amber.js which is a shimmed config.
>
> Well, r.js is for node and require.js is for browser. All shim configurations in amber.js (the whole amber.js if we're at it) is browser-specific thing. So do not mix them - amber.js and r.js live in two different worlds.

Agreed. But the optimizing I most likely do in node. I thought I have my require.js setup in my code and r.js is able to combine/optimize the individual files into a single one. r.js would then use the define statements in each file to assemble the single file. But in the individual files virtual paths like amber_core are used. These are defined in amber.js. So for the r.js case I only see two possibilities. Either amber.js runs in combination with r.js on node. Or I need to provide a different file to r.js that is not a shim config but defines the virtual paths in order to be able to resolve it.

> AMD format works fine in node world as well - amberc produces concatenated programs from amber code fine - look for example at test directory where amber_test_runner.js is produced by such process wherever you run 'npm test'.

Ok, I'll take a look. Maybe I don't need r.js at all.

> To answer 'who defines define' you must first speciify in what environment. In browser, require.min.js defines it; in node, it is injected by amberc compiler (using amdefine fot it), as you can see in the test runner example from previous paragraph.

No, it didn't mean who defines the function define but who adds the call of define to each js package file. If we look at js/Kernel-Collection.js we can see

$ cat js/Kernel-Collections.js | head -n 1
define("amber_core/Kernel-Collections", ["amber_vm/smalltalk", "amber_vm/nil", "amber_vm/_st", "amber_core/Kernel-Objects"], function(smalltalk,nil,_st){

I wanted to know who adds the first line (define("amber_core/.…) and where is the information taken from that Kernel-Collections depends on "amber_vm/smalltalk", "amber_vm/nil", "amber_vm/_st", "amber_core/Kernel-Objects"?

Sorry for not being more clear before,

Norbert

Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Am 30.08.2013 um 16:59 schrieb Herby Vojčík<[hidden email]>:
>> To answer 'who defines define' you must first speciify in what
>> environment. In browser, require.min.js defines it; in node, it is
>> injected by amberc compiler (using amdefine fot it), as you can see
>> in the test runner example from previous paragraph.
>>
> No, it didn't mean who defines the function define but who adds the
> call of define to each js package file. If we look at
> js/Kernel-Collection.js we can see
>
> $ cat js/Kernel-Collections.js | head -n 1
> define("amber_core/Kernel-Collections", ["amber_vm/smalltalk",
> "amber_vm/nil", "amber_vm/_st", "amber_core/Kernel-Objects"],
> function(smalltalk,nil,_st){
>
> I wanted to know who adds the first line (define("amber_core/.…) and
> where is the information taken from that Kernel-Collections depends
> on "amber_vm/smalltalk", "amber_vm/nil", "amber_vm/_st",
> "amber_core/Kernel-Objects"?

Amber itself adds it. So, either IDE when committing (each package has
its namespace; new packages have namespace that is set as default, see
some .html that loads new amber, either in amber or trapped) or amberc
when compiling (-n options tells what should be the namespace of the
result). Amber (IDE or amberc) also knows what are load dependencies and
lists them in the define line.

All packages grouped at the same location should have same namespace, it
is up to you to choose one. When code is used at other context (like
when you make a library) the same name you picked must be used when
integrating - so choose one that will not clash (for example, reverse
domain name like in java). Do not use dots, they confuse require.js.
Namespaces beginning with 'amber' are reserved for amber use.

> Sorry for not being more clear before,
>
> Norbert

Herby

Re: popup helios

Nicolas Petton

[hidden email] writes:

> Am 30.08.2013 um 00:35 schrieb Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]>:
>

>> Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>> I've found some time to get back into amber business. Of course I updated to the master because I like to have the most unstable stuff. Especially I'm curious about the require.js integration.
>>> To test something I wanted to load a page and open helios in a second window. Researching I've found some hints about using
>>>
>>> amber.popupHelios()
>>
>> It went away when whole amber object went away with the new loader. The "pop up helios" functionality must be added somewhere if requested (and such place is found; the new loader defines no globals, unlike one before; but it can be in dedicated requirejs module).
>>
> Ok, but what was it supposed to do? Just open a window that loads
> helios?

Basically, yes. I was opening a window on helios.html, helios itself
making to link back to the original tab to work on.

I think we could add back one global for such things. I would be handy
for opening Helios from the JS console for example.

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: popup helios

Herby Vojčík

nico wrote:

> [hidden email] writes:

>>> It went away when whole amber object went away with the new loader. The "pop up helios" functionality must be added somewhere if requested (and such place is found; the new loader defines no globals, unlike one before; but it can be in dedicated requirejs module).
>>>
>> Ok, but what was it supposed to do? Just open a window that loads
>> helios?
>
> Basically, yes. I was opening a window on helios.html, helios itself
> making to link back to the original tab to work on.
>
> I th
ink we could add back one global for such things. I would be handy
> for opening Helios from the JS console for example.

No need for global, you can always do `var smalltalk=require("amber_vm/smalltalk")` in the console if you need one.

Re: popup helios

NorbertHartl

Am 03.09.2013 um 18:18 schrieb nico <[hidden email]>:

> [hidden email] writes:

>>> It went away when whole amber object went away with the new loader. The "pop up helios" functionality must be added somewhere if requested (and such place is found; the new loader defines no globals, unlike one before; but it can be in dedicated requirejs module).
>> Ok, but what was it supposed to do? Just open a window that loads
>> helios?
>
> Basically, yes. I was opening a window on helios.html, helios itself
> making to link back to the original tab to work on.

What do you mean by saying "making a link back to the original tab to work on"?

Norbert

> I think we could add back one global for such things. I would be handy
> for opening Helios from the JS console for example.
>
>> What was the rationale regarding working mode for the popup thing? Having one window with amber and one with the app? That would mean the app page needs to be reloaded when something has been changed though the IDE. Or were there some connections between the two windows that enabled cool stuff while developing.

>>> amberc has -n option to specify namespace (path prefix that is put before slash). Every package must have one, and packages located at the same place sh
>>> ould have the same one.
>>>
>>> Look at http://github.com/herby/trapped to see this in action in .html files.
>>
>> I think the right question would have been: Who produces the define() in each javascript file and where does get its information from?
>>
>> Do you have an estimate how much work it would be to make r.js work? I don't know require.js good enough to see how the shim config can be avoided. It seems the r.js does not like shim configs but the paths are defined in support/amber.js which is a shimmed config.
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Norbert
>

> --
> Nicolas Petton
> http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: popup helios

Nicolas Petton

[hidden email] writes:

> Am 03.09.2013 um 18:18 schrieb nico <[hidden email]>:
>

>> [hidden email] writes:

>>> Ok, but what was it supposed to do? Just open a window that loads
>>> helios?
>>
>> Basically, yes. I was opening a window on helios.html, helios itself
>> making to link back to the original tab to work on.
>
> What do you mean by saying "making a link back to the original tab to
> work on"?

I mean that Helios works on remote environments. So when you start a new
window with Helios, it is actually browsing the original window.

Nico

> Norbert
>>
>> I think we could add back one global for such things. I would be handy
>> for opening Helios from the JS console for example.
>>
>>> What was the rationale regarding working mode for the popup thing? Having one window with amber and one with the app? That would mean the app page needs to be reloaded when something has been changed though the IDE. Or were there some connections between the two windows that enabled cool stuff while developing.

>>> I think the right question would have been: Who produces the define() in each javascript file and where does get its information from?
>>>
>>> Do you have an estimate how much work it would be to make r.js work? I don't know require.js good enough to see how the shim config can be avoided. It seems the r.js does not like shim configs but the paths are defined in support/amber.js which is a shimmed config.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> Norbert
>>

>> --
>> Nicolas Petton
>> http://nicolas-petton.fr
>>
>> --

Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: popup helios

Nicolas Petton
Indeed, but it would be convenient to have a simple way to start the
IDE.

nico

Nicolas Petton wrote:
> Indeed, but it would be convenient to have a simple way to start the
> IDE.

Who says it must be global (or part of ex-global smalltalk)?

require("amber/helios-popup").popup();

Re: popup helios

Nicolas Petton

[hidden email] writes:

> Nicolas Petton wrote:
>> Indeed, but it would be convenient to have a simple way to start the
>> IDE.
>
> Who says it must be global (or part of ex-global smalltalk)?
>
> require("amber/helios-popup").popup();

yes, that works indeed. Is it convenient enough though? Not sure.

Nico

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: popup helios

Herby Vojčík

Nicolas Petton wrote:

> [hidden email] writes:
>
>> Nicolas Petton wrote:
>>> Indeed, but it would be convenient to have a simple way to start the
>>> IDE.
>> Who says it must be global (or part of ex-global smalltalk)?
>>
>> require("amber/helios-popup").popup();
>
> yes, that works indeed. Is it convenient enough though? Not sure.

I think yes, this mindset (require(module).doSomething()) is, IMO,
pretty normal in JS world in node.js (even if it's different require);
there may as well be such shift on the browser with things like AMD.

It is definitely not unfamiliar for JS devs.

> Nico

Herby

Re: popup helios

Andy Burnett
Just to be clear - at a practical level - if I wanted to bring up the popup IDE, using the chrome console, I would now type

require("amber/helios-popup").popup();

Is that correct?

Andy Burnett wrote:
> Just to be clear - at a practical level - if I wanted to bring up the
> popup IDE, using the chrome console, I would now type
>
> require("amber/helios-popup").popup();
>
> Is that correct?

Yes.

Re: popup helios

Hannes Hirzel
In FF 23 I load amber helios and then open the web console

There I execute

--
[10:32:40.539] require("amber/helios-popup").popup();

and get

[10:32:40.543] Error: Module name "amber/helios-popup" has not been
loaded yet for context: _. Use require([])
http://requirejs.org/docs/errors.html#notloaded

On 9/4/13, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Andy Burnett wrote:
>> Just to be clear - at a practical level - if I wanted to bring up the
>> popup IDE, using the chrome console, I would now type
>>
>> require("amber/helios-popup").popup();
>>
>> Is that correct?
>
> Yes.

Re: popup helios

Herby Vojčík
It is not defined yet, we just discussed how to actually implement it so it is convenient enough for users (and I has another goal not to add any global, since all globals were sucessfully eradicated; only one is require, which is there because of require.min.js is loaded, but amber defines none).

H. Hirzel wrote:

> In FF 23 I load amber helios and then open the web console
>

> There I execute
>
> --
> [10:32:40.539] require("amber/helios-popup").popup();
>
> and get
>
> [10:32:40.543] Error: Module name "amber/helios-popup" has not been
> loaded yet for context: _. Use require([])
> http://requirejs.org/docs/errors.html#notloaded
>

> On 9/4/13, Herby Vojčík<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>> Andy Burnett wrote:
>>> Just to be clear - at a practical level - if I wanted to bring up the
>>> popup IDE, using the chrome console, I would now type
>>>
>>> require("amber/helios-popup").popup();
>>>
>>> Is that correct?
>> Yes.

Re: popup helios