Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

possible Windows Update "1903" Iceberg problem

Ben Coman
IThis morning the May 2019 Windows Update "1903" forced itself onto my computer and now 64-bits Pharo seems to have a problem with git_remote_fetch() FFI callout.  I no longer have a non-1903 machine to directly compare behaviour before "1903".  Can someone familiar with this area with both "pre-1903" and "1903" machines triage whether "1903" is indeed the cause?

A few other recent reports are noted here...

cheers -ben
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: possible Windows Update "1903" Iceberg problem

ducasse
Hi ben 

in the pharo launcher if you click on P8.0 (development version) you get access to all the builds. 

Stef

On 16 Aug 2019, at 16:02, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

IThis morning the May 2019 Windows Update "1903" forced itself onto my computer and now 64-bits Pharo seems to have a problem with git_remote_fetch() FFI callout.  I no longer have a non-1903 machine to directly compare behaviour before "1903".  Can someone familiar with this area with both "pre-1903" and "1903" machines triage whether "1903" is indeed the cause?

cheers -ben

Reply | Threaded
|

Ben Coman
hi Stef,  
I feel you missed my point. Probably I wasn't clear this has already been tested with latest Pharo 8 launched by PharoLauncher.  
The problem occurs with Pharo 7.0.3(64 bit) and with Pharo8.0-SNAPSHOT-build.635(64 bit) 
after Microsoft Windows Update 1903...

If indeed 1903 is the cause, with this update now being *forced* down on people, this will potentially soon impact more and more Windows users.
But my guess that 1903 is the culprit needs to be confirmed.  
So I am requesting someone with access to multiple Windows machines directly compare a 1903 machine with a pre-1903 machine. 

cheers -ben

On Sat, 17 Aug 2019 at 12:58, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi ben 

in the pharo launcher if you click on P8.0 (development version) you get access to all the builds. 

Stef

cheers -ben

Reply | Threaded
|

ducasse

On 17 Aug 2019, at 12:50, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

hi Stef,  
I feel you missed my point. Probably I wasn't clear this has already been tested with latest Pharo 8 launched by PharoLauncher.  
The problem occurs with Pharo 7.0.3(64 bit) and with Pharo8.0-SNAPSHOT-build.635(64 bit) 

If indeed 1903 is the cause, with this update now being *forced* down on people, this will potentially soon impact more and more Windows users.
So I am requesting someone with access to multiple Windows machines directly compare a 1903 machine with a pre-1903 machine. 

indeed I misunderstood you :)

cheers -ben

Hi ben 

Stef

cheers -ben

Reply | Threaded
|

Tudor Girba-2
In reply to this post by Ben Coman
Hi,

We just encountered this on two different machines. We got this after the update to Windows 1903. For us it’s a critical issue at this point. What can we do to help with this?

Cheers,
Doru

> On Aug 17, 2019, at 12:50 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> hi Stef,  
> I feel you missed my point. Probably I wasn't clear this has already been tested with latest Pharo 8 launched by PharoLauncher.  
> The problem occurs with Pharo 7.0.3(64 bit) and with Pharo8.0-SNAPSHOT-build.635(64 bit)
> after Microsoft Windows Update 1903...
> https://www.computerworld.com/article/3409621/microsoft-starts-windows-10s-1803-to-1903-forced-upgrade.html 
>
> If indeed 1903 is the cause, with this update now being *forced* down on people, this will potentially soon impact more and more Windows users.
> But my guess that 1903 is the culprit needs to be confirmed.  
> So I am requesting someone with access to multiple Windows machines directly compare a 1903 machine with a pre-1903 machine.
>
> cheers -ben
>
> On Sat, 17 Aug 2019 at 12:58, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi ben
>
> in the pharo launcher if you click on P8.0 (development version) you get access to all the builds.
>
> Stef
>
>> On 16 Aug 2019, at 16:02, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> IThis morning the May 2019 Windows Update "1903" forced itself onto my computer and now 64-bits Pharo seems to have a problem with git_remote_fetch() FFI callout.  I no longer have a non-1903 machine to directly compare behaviour before "1903".  Can someone familiar with this area with both "pre-1903" and "1903" machines triage whether "1903" is indeed the cause?
>>
>> A few other recent reports are noted here...
>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/3418 
>>
>> cheers -ben
>

--
feenk.com

"Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

Reply | Threaded
|

Tudor Girba-2
Hi

I opened an issue: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/4437

I believe this should be treated as critical given that we cannot load code in Pharo 7 (or 8) which makes it almost useless for users.

Cheers,
Doru

> On Aug 27, 2019, at 10:54 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> We just encountered this on two different machines. We got this after the update to Windows 1903. For us it’s a critical issue at this point. What can we do to help with this?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>
>
>> On Aug 17, 2019, at 12:50 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> hi Stef,  
>> I feel you missed my point. Probably I wasn't clear this has already been tested with latest Pharo 8 launched by PharoLauncher.  
>> The problem occurs with Pharo 7.0.3(64 bit) and with Pharo8.0-SNAPSHOT-build.635(64 bit)
>> after Microsoft Windows Update 1903...
>> https://www.computerworld.com/article/3409621/microsoft-starts-windows-10s-1803-to-1903-forced-upgrade.html 
>>
>> If indeed 1903 is the cause, with this update now being *forced* down on people, this will potentially soon impact more and more Windows users.
>> But my guess that 1903 is the culprit needs to be confirmed.  
>> So I am requesting someone with access to multiple Windows machines directly compare a 1903 machine with a pre-1903 machine.
>>
>> cheers -ben
>>
>> On Sat, 17 Aug 2019 at 12:58, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi ben
>>
>> in the pharo launcher if you click on P8.0 (development version) you get access to all the builds.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>>> On 16 Aug 2019, at 16:02, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> IThis morning the May 2019 Windows Update "1903" forced itself onto my computer and now 64-bits Pharo seems to have a problem with git_remote_fetch() FFI callout.  I no longer have a non-1903 machine to directly compare behaviour before "1903".  Can someone familiar with this area with both "pre-1903" and "1903" machines triage whether "1903" is indeed the cause?
>>>
>>> A few other recent reports are noted here...
>>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/3418 
>>>
>>> cheers -ben
>>
>
> --
> feenk.com
>
> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."
>

--
feenk.com

“Live like you mean it."

Reply | Threaded
|

ducasse
tx doru

Stef

> On 28 Aug 2019, at 16:01, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> I opened an issue: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/4437
>
> I believe this should be treated as critical given that we cannot load code in Pharo 7 (or 8) which makes it almost useless for users.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>
>> On Aug 27, 2019, at 10:54 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We just encountered this on two different machines. We got this after the update to Windows 1903. For us it’s a critical issue at this point. What can we do to help with this?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>>
>>
>>> On Aug 17, 2019, at 12:50 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> hi Stef,  
>>> I feel you missed my point. Probably I wasn't clear this has already been tested with latest Pharo 8 launched by PharoLauncher.  
>>> The problem occurs with Pharo 7.0.3(64 bit) and with Pharo8.0-SNAPSHOT-build.635(64 bit)
>>> after Microsoft Windows Update 1903...
>>> https://www.computerworld.com/article/3409621/microsoft-starts-windows-10s-1803-to-1903-forced-upgrade.html 
>>>
>>> If indeed 1903 is the cause, with this update now being *forced* down on people, this will potentially soon impact more and more Windows users.
>>> But my guess that 1903 is the culprit needs to be confirmed.  
>>> So I am requesting someone with access to multiple Windows machines directly compare a 1903 machine with a pre-1903 machine.
>>>
>>> cheers -ben
>>>
>>> On Sat, 17 Aug 2019 at 12:58, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi ben
>>>
>>> in the pharo launcher if you click on P8.0 (development version) you get access to all the builds.
>>>
>>> Stef
>>>
>>>> On 16 Aug 2019, at 16:02, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> IThis morning the May 2019 Windows Update "1903" forced itself onto my computer and now 64-bits Pharo seems to have a problem with git_remote_fetch() FFI callout.  I no longer have a non-1903 machine to directly compare behaviour before "1903".  Can someone familiar with this area with both "pre-1903" and "1903" machines triage whether "1903" is indeed the cause?
>>>>
>>>> A few other recent reports are noted here...
>>>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/3418 
>>>>
>>>> cheers -ben
>>>
>>
>> --
>> feenk.com
>>
>> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."
>>
>
> --
> feenk.com
>
> “Live like you mean it."
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Is there a way to speed the work on this one?

At this moment, people cannot load any code in Pharo on Windows 10.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.feenk.com
"Every thing has its own flow."

> On 28 Aug 2019, at 16:20, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> tx doru
>
> Stef
>
>> On 28 Aug 2019, at 16:01, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I opened an issue: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/4437
>>
>> I believe this should be treated as critical given that we cannot load code in Pharo 7 (or 8) which makes it almost useless for users.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>>
>>> On Aug 27, 2019, at 10:54 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We just encountered this on two different machines. We got this after the update to Windows 1903. For us it’s a critical issue at this point. What can we do to help with this?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> On Aug 17, 2019, at 12:50 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> hi Stef,  
>>>> I feel you missed my point. Probably I wasn't clear this has already been tested with latest Pharo 8 launched by PharoLauncher.  
>>>> The problem occurs with Pharo 7.0.3(64 bit) and with Pharo8.0-SNAPSHOT-build.635(64 bit)
>>>> after Microsoft Windows Update 1903...
>>>> https://www.computerworld.com/article/3409621/microsoft-starts-windows-10s-1803-to-1903-forced-upgrade.html 
>>>>
>>>> If indeed 1903 is the cause, with this update now being *forced* down on people, this will potentially soon impact more and more Windows users.
>>>> But my guess that 1903 is the culprit needs to be confirmed.  
>>>> So I am requesting someone with access to multiple Windows machines directly compare a 1903 machine with a pre-1903 machine.
>>>>
>>>> cheers -ben
>>>>
>>>> On Sat, 17 Aug 2019 at 12:58, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>> Hi ben
>>>>
>>>> in the pharo launcher if you click on P8.0 (development version) you get access to all the builds.
>>>>
>>>> Stef
>>>>
>>>>> On 16 Aug 2019, at 16:02, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> IThis morning the May 2019 Windows Update "1903" forced itself onto my computer and now 64-bits Pharo seems to have a problem with git_remote_fetch() FFI callout.  I no longer have a non-1903 machine to directly compare behaviour before "1903".  Can someone familiar with this area with both "pre-1903" and "1903" machines triage whether "1903" is indeed the cause?
>>>>>
>>>>> A few other recent reports are noted here...
>>>>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/3418 
>>>>>
>>>>> cheers -ben
>>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> feenk.com
>>>
>>> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."
>>>
>>
>> --
>> feenk.com
>>
>> “Live like you mean it."
>>
>>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

ducasse
I saw everybody super busy and I imagine that they will reply soon.
I’m travelling to give Pharo lectures.

> On 3 Sep 2019, at 19:23, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to speed the work on this one?
>
> At this moment, people cannot load any code in Pharo on Windows 10.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.feenk.com
> "Every thing has its own flow."
>
>> On 28 Aug 2019, at 16:20, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> tx doru
>>
>> Stef
>>
>>> On 28 Aug 2019, at 16:01, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I opened an issue: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/4437
>>>
>>> I believe this should be treated as critical given that we cannot load code in Pharo 7 (or 8) which makes it almost useless for users.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>
>>>
>>>> On Aug 27, 2019, at 10:54 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> We just encountered this on two different machines. We got this after the update to Windows 1903. For us it’s a critical issue at this point. What can we do to help with this?
>>>>
>>>> Cheers,
>>>> Doru
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> On Aug 17, 2019, at 12:50 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> hi Stef,  
>>>>> I feel you missed my point. Probably I wasn't clear this has already been tested with latest Pharo 8 launched by PharoLauncher.  
>>>>> The problem occurs with Pharo 7.0.3(64 bit) and with Pharo8.0-SNAPSHOT-build.635(64 bit)
>>>>> after Microsoft Windows Update 1903...
>>>>> https://www.computerworld.com/article/3409621/microsoft-starts-windows-10s-1803-to-1903-forced-upgrade.html 
>>>>>
>>>>> If indeed 1903 is the cause, with this update now being *forced* down on people, this will potentially soon impact more and more Windows users.
>>>>> But my guess that 1903 is the culprit needs to be confirmed.  
>>>>> So I am requesting someone with access to multiple Windows machines directly compare a 1903 machine with a pre-1903 machine.
>>>>>
>>>>> cheers -ben
>>>>>
>>>>> On Sat, 17 Aug 2019 at 12:58, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>> Hi ben
>>>>>
>>>>> in the pharo launcher if you click on P8.0 (development version) you get access to all the builds.
>>>>>
>>>>> Stef
>>>>>
>>>>>> On 16 Aug 2019, at 16:02, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> IThis morning the May 2019 Windows Update "1903" forced itself onto my computer and now 64-bits Pharo seems to have a problem with git_remote_fetch() FFI callout.  I no longer have a non-1903 machine to directly compare behaviour before "1903".  Can someone familiar with this area with both "pre-1903" and "1903" machines triage whether "1903" is indeed the cause?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> A few other recent reports are noted here...
>>>>>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/3418 
>>>>>>
>>>>>> cheers -ben
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> feenk.com
>>>>
>>>> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."
>>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> feenk.com
>>>
>>> “Live like you mean it."
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Guillermo Polito
Hi all,

Sorry for not communicating better :).
We know this is an important issue and we did move it to top priority even prior to this email ;).
Doru, to answer you, what people can do for the moment is to test what we are going to propose in a couple of hours in your windows machines.
With Pablo we have tested in several Windows 10 machines pre- and post- update 1903. Still we would like people testing on their setups and other windows versions

We have been working the last couple of days debugging openssh and libgit, and building a version with a more up-to-date version of openssh.
We will come back later this morning / early afternoon with
 - a new vm setup using up to date versions of openssh
 - a description of workarounds for those tied to old versions of the VM
So people can test.

Cheers,
Guille and Pablo

> El 4 sept 2019, a las 8:38, ducasse <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
> I saw everybody super busy and I imagine that they will reply soon.
> I’m travelling to give Pharo lectures.
>
>> On 3 Sep 2019, at 19:23, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a way to speed the work on this one?
>>
>> At this moment, people cannot load any code in Pharo on Windows 10.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>> --
>> www.feenk.com
>> "Every thing has its own flow."
>>
>>> On 28 Aug 2019, at 16:20, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> tx doru
>>>
>>> Stef
>>>
>>>> On 28 Aug 2019, at 16:01, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hi
>>>>
>>>> I opened an issue: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/4437
>>>>
>>>> I believe this should be treated as critical given that we cannot load code in Pharo 7 (or 8) which makes it almost useless for users.
>>>>
>>>> Cheers,
>>>> Doru
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> On Aug 27, 2019, at 10:54 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>> We just encountered this on two different machines. We got this after the update to Windows 1903. For us it’s a critical issue at this point. What can we do to help with this?
>>>>>
>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>> Doru
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> On Aug 17, 2019, at 12:50 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> hi Stef,  
>>>>>> I feel you missed my point. Probably I wasn't clear this has already been tested with latest Pharo 8 launched by PharoLauncher.  
>>>>>> The problem occurs with Pharo 7.0.3(64 bit) and with Pharo8.0-SNAPSHOT-build.635(64 bit)
>>>>>> after Microsoft Windows Update 1903...
>>>>>> https://www.computerworld.com/article/3409621/microsoft-starts-windows-10s-1803-to-1903-forced-upgrade.html 
>>>>>>
>>>>>> If indeed 1903 is the cause, with this update now being *forced* down on people, this will potentially soon impact more and more Windows users.
>>>>>> But my guess that 1903 is the culprit needs to be confirmed.  
>>>>>> So I am requesting someone with access to multiple Windows machines directly compare a 1903 machine with a pre-1903 machine.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> cheers -ben
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Sat, 17 Aug 2019 at 12:58, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>> Hi ben
>>>>>>
>>>>>> in the pharo launcher if you click on P8.0 (development version) you get access to all the builds.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Stef
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On 16 Aug 2019, at 16:02, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> IThis morning the May 2019 Windows Update "1903" forced itself onto my computer and now 64-bits Pharo seems to have a problem with git_remote_fetch() FFI callout.  I no longer have a non-1903 machine to directly compare behaviour before "1903".  Can someone familiar with this area with both "pre-1903" and "1903" machines triage whether "1903" is indeed the cause?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> A few other recent reports are noted here...
>>>>>>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/3418 
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> cheers -ben
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> feenk.com
>>>>>
>>>>> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> feenk.com
>>>>
>>>> “Live like you mean it."
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Tudor Girba-2
Super cool!! Thanks!

We will happily test.

Cheers,
Doru

> On Sep 4, 2019, at 10:04 AM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry for not communicating better :).
> We know this is an important issue and we did move it to top priority even prior to this email ;).
> Doru, to answer you, what people can do for the moment is to test what we are going to propose in a couple of hours in your windows machines.
> With Pablo we have tested in several Windows 10 machines pre- and post- update 1903. Still we would like people testing on their setups and other windows versions
>
> We have been working the last couple of days debugging openssh and libgit, and building a version with a more up-to-date version of openssh.
> We will come back later this morning / early afternoon with
> - a new vm setup using up to date versions of openssh
> - a description of workarounds for those tied to old versions of the VM
> So people can test.
>
> Cheers,
> Guille and Pablo
>
>> El 4 sept 2019, a las 8:38, ducasse <[hidden email]> escribió:
>>
>> I saw everybody super busy and I imagine that they will reply soon.
>> I’m travelling to give Pharo lectures.
>>
>>> On 3 Sep 2019, at 19:23, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is there a way to speed the work on this one?
>>>
>>> At this moment, people cannot load any code in Pharo on Windows 10.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>
>>> --
>>> www.feenk.com
>>> "Every thing has its own flow."
>>>
>>>> On 28 Aug 2019, at 16:20, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> tx doru
>>>>
>>>> Stef
>>>>
>>>>> On 28 Aug 2019, at 16:01, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi
>>>>>
>>>>> I opened an issue: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/4437
>>>>>
>>>>> I believe this should be treated as critical given that we cannot load code in Pharo 7 (or 8) which makes it almost useless for users.
>>>>>
>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>> Doru
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> On Aug 27, 2019, at 10:54 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> We just encountered this on two different machines. We got this after the update to Windows 1903. For us it’s a critical issue at this point. What can we do to help with this?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>>> Doru
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On Aug 17, 2019, at 12:50 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> hi Stef,  
>>>>>>> I feel you missed my point. Probably I wasn't clear this has already been tested with latest Pharo 8 launched by PharoLauncher.  
>>>>>>> The problem occurs with Pharo 7.0.3(64 bit) and with Pharo8.0-SNAPSHOT-build.635(64 bit)
>>>>>>> after Microsoft Windows Update 1903...
>>>>>>> https://www.computerworld.com/article/3409621/microsoft-starts-windows-10s-1803-to-1903-forced-upgrade.html 
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> If indeed 1903 is the cause, with this update now being *forced* down on people, this will potentially soon impact more and more Windows users.
>>>>>>> But my guess that 1903 is the culprit needs to be confirmed.  
>>>>>>> So I am requesting someone with access to multiple Windows machines directly compare a 1903 machine with a pre-1903 machine.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> cheers -ben
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On Sat, 17 Aug 2019 at 12:58, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>>> Hi ben
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> in the pharo launcher if you click on P8.0 (development version) you get access to all the builds.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Stef
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> On 16 Aug 2019, at 16:02, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> IThis morning the May 2019 Windows Update "1903" forced itself onto my computer and now 64-bits Pharo seems to have a problem with git_remote_fetch() FFI callout.  I no longer have a non-1903 machine to directly compare behaviour before "1903".  Can someone familiar with this area with both "pre-1903" and "1903" machines triage whether "1903" is indeed the cause?
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> A few other recent reports are noted here...
>>>>>>>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/3418 
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> cheers -ben
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> --
>>>>>> feenk.com
>>>>>>
>>>>>> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> feenk.com
>>>>>
>>>>> “Live like you mean it."
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>

--
feenk.com

"Innovation comes in the least expected form.
That is, if it is expected, it already happened."

Reply | Threaded
|

tesonep@gmail.com
In reply to this post by Guillermo Polito
Hi all,
     with Guille we have been working in this issue since Monday, it
was a complicated issue to solve as we require to compile and test
different versions of the libgit2 library and its dependencies
(openssl and libssh2).
We have a workaround for using ssh in windows.
We have produced a new set of libraries with the correct versions.
These libraries are available in
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fwAVyrEEXkGOAuyAh1wASRRSv3SjZ3R1
The idea is to start testing them while we are working on a new
release of the VM.

Cheers,
Pablo

On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 10:05 AM Guillermo Polito
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Hi all,
>
> We know this is an important issue and we did move it to top priority even prior to this email ;).
> Doru, to answer you, what people can do for the moment is to test what we are going to propose in a couple of hours in your windows machines.
> With Pablo we have tested in several Windows 10 machines pre- and post- update 1903. Still we would like people testing on their setups and other windows versions
>
> We have been working the last couple of days debugging openssh and libgit, and building a version with a more up-to-date version of openssh.
>  - a new vm setup using up to date versions of openssh
>  - a description of workarounds for those tied to old versions of the VM
> So people can test.
>
> Cheers,
> Guille and Pablo
>
> > El 4 sept 2019, a las 8:38, ducasse <[hidden email]> escribió:
> >
> > I saw everybody super busy and I imagine that they will reply soon.
> > I’m travelling to give Pharo lectures.
> >
> >> On 3 Sep 2019, at 19:23, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Is there a way to speed the work on this one?
> >>
> >> At this moment, people cannot load any code in Pharo on Windows 10.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Doru
> >>
> >> --
> >> www.feenk.com
> >> "Every thing has its own flow."
> >>
> >>> On 28 Aug 2019, at 16:20, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>>
> >>> tx doru
> >>>
> >>> Stef
> >>>
> >>>> On 28 Aug 2019, at 16:01, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>> Hi
> >>>>
> >>>> I opened an issue: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/4437
> >>>>
> >>>> I believe this should be treated as critical given that we cannot load code in Pharo 7 (or 8) which makes it almost useless for users.
> >>>>
> >>>> Cheers,
> >>>> Doru
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>> On Aug 27, 2019, at 10:54 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Hi,
> >>>>>
> >>>>> We just encountered this on two different machines. We got this after the update to Windows 1903. For us it’s a critical issue at this point. What can we do to help with this?
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Cheers,
> >>>>> Doru
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>> On Aug 17, 2019, at 12:50 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> hi Stef,
> >>>>>> I feel you missed my point. Probably I wasn't clear this has already been tested with latest Pharo 8 launched by PharoLauncher.
> >>>>>> The problem occurs with Pharo 7.0.3(64 bit) and with Pharo8.0-SNAPSHOT-build.635(64 bit)
> >>>>>> after Microsoft Windows Update 1903...
> >>>>>> https://www.computerworld.com/article/3409621/microsoft-starts-windows-10s-1803-to-1903-forced-upgrade.html
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> If indeed 1903 is the cause, with this update now being *forced* down on people, this will potentially soon impact more and more Windows users.
> >>>>>> But my guess that 1903 is the culprit needs to be confirmed.
> >>>>>> So I am requesting someone with access to multiple Windows machines directly compare a 1903 machine with a pre-1903 machine.
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> cheers -ben
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> On Sat, 17 Aug 2019 at 12:58, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>>>>> Hi ben
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> in the pharo launcher if you click on P8.0 (development version) you get access to all the builds.
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> Stef
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>> On 16 Aug 2019, at 16:02, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>> IThis morning the May 2019 Windows Update "1903" forced itself onto my computer and now 64-bits Pharo seems to have a problem with git_remote_fetch() FFI callout.  I no longer have a non-1903 machine to directly compare behaviour before "1903".  Can someone familiar with this area with both "pre-1903" and "1903" machines triage whether "1903" is indeed the cause?
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>> A few other recent reports are noted here...
> >>>>>>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/3418
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>> cheers -ben
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> --
> >>>>> feenk.com
> >>>>>
> >>>>> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."
> >>>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> --
> >>>> feenk.com
> >>>>
> >>>> “Live like you mean it."
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >
> >
> >
>
>

--
Pablo Tesone.
[hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
|

Guillermo Polito
Hi all,

First, please, we would love if you can test what Pablo proposed and give us some feedback.
It will be super helpful to evaluate if it is worth to generate a new vm release!!!

Also, besides what Pablo said in the previous email, I wanted to share some more precisions.

=== Precisions on the problem ===

First, just to clarify, we isolated the issue happening only on Windows10 #1903 on Pharo64 bits.
Pharo32 bits does work well on that update number does work well.

The origin of the problem seems to be a bad integration between libssh2 1.7.0 and the windows CNG crypto layer, which seemingly changed in this update.

=== The path to the solution ===

The solution was theoretically super straight forward (upgrade to openssh 1.9.0 + openssl for crypto instead of windows CNG).

It was however super time consuming.
 - installing the windows update #1903 to test, reproduce and understand the issue took for us a couple of hours, reconfiguring the virtual machines to enlarge disks to download it, then install it...
 - compiling openssl took literally the entire afternoon yesterday in Pablo’s machine.
 - then we found several bugs in cmake openssl integration when compiling libssh2 on Cigwin + mingw, because life cannot be easy ^^

And fortunately, we found no incompatibilities between the different versions of these libraries (and libgit2 too!) so it could have been more time consuming :P.

=== Alternative solutions and workarounds ===

Alternatively for testing the libraries that Pablo sent in the previous email, there are some other workarounds that people could try in the meantime:

1) Use Pharo32 bits, which as I said above, does not have the problem.

2) Use Iceberg in HTTPS (and specifically set the Iceberg-Metacello integration to HTTP by default).

We are also evaluating setting HTTPS by default in Iceberg as it is simpler to setup.
Github, Gitkraken do use HTTPS as a sensible default too.

Cheers

El 5 sept 2019, a las 14:28, [hidden email] escribió:

Hi all,
(openssl and libssh2).
release of the VM.

Cheers,
Pablo

<[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

Sorry for not communicating better :).
We know this is an important issue and we did move it to top priority even prior to this email ;).
Doru, to answer you, what people can do for the moment is to test what we are going to propose in a couple of hours in your windows machines.
With Pablo we have tested in several Windows 10 machines pre- and post- update 1903. Still we would like people testing on their setups and other windows versions

We have been working the last couple of days debugging openssh and libgit, and building a version with a more up-to-date version of openssh.
We will come back later this morning / early afternoon with
- a new vm setup using up to date versions of openssh
- a description of workarounds for those tied to old versions of the VM
So people can test.

Cheers,
Guille and Pablo

El 4 sept 2019, a las 8:38, ducasse <[hidden email]> escribió:

I saw everybody super busy and I imagine that they will reply soon.
I’m travelling to give Pharo lectures.

On 3 Sep 2019, at 19:23, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Is there a way to speed the work on this one?

At this moment, people cannot load any code in Pharo on Windows 10.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.feenk.com
"Every thing has its own flow."

On 28 Aug 2019, at 16:20, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

tx doru

Stef

On 28 Aug 2019, at 16:01, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi

I opened an issue: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/4437

I believe this should be treated as critical given that we cannot load code in Pharo 7 (or 8) which makes it almost useless for users.

Cheers,
Doru

On Aug 27, 2019, at 10:54 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

We just encountered this on two different machines. We got this after the update to Windows 1903. For us it’s a critical issue at this point. What can we do to help with this?

Cheers,
Doru

On Aug 17, 2019, at 12:50 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

hi Stef,
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3409621/microsoft-starts-windows-10s-1803-to-1903-forced-upgrade.html

cheers -ben

Hi ben

Stef

IThis morning the May 2019 Windows Update "1903" forced itself onto my computer and now 64-bits Pharo seems to have a problem with git_remote_fetch() FFI callout.  I no longer have a non-1903 machine to directly compare behaviour before "1903".  Can someone familiar with this area with both "pre-1903" and "1903" machines triage whether "1903" is indeed the cause?

https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/3418

cheers -ben

--
feenk.com

"Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

--
feenk.com

“Live like you mean it."

--
Pablo Tesone.
[hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
|

Christopher Fuhrman-4
In reply to this post by tesonep@gmail.com
This sounds great, Pablo. 

Just to clarify on how to test, if I'm using Pharo Launcher, do I just replace the .dll files from your .zip in C:\Users\{me}\Documents\Pharo\vms\80-x64 (and/or \70-x64)?

On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 at 09:34, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,
(openssl and libssh2).
release of the VM.

Cheers,
Pablo

<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
>
>  - a new vm setup using up to date versions of openssh
>  - a description of workarounds for those tied to old versions of the VM
> So people can test.
>
> Cheers,
> Guille and Pablo
>
> >
> >
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Doru
> >>
> >> --
> >> www.feenk.com
> >>
> >>>
> >>> tx doru
> >>>
> >>> Stef
> >>>
> >>>>
> >>>> Hi
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> I believe this should be treated as critical given that we cannot load code in Pharo 7 (or 8) which makes it almost useless for users.
> >>>>
> >>>> Cheers,
> >>>> Doru
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Hi,
> >>>>>
> >>>>> We just encountered this on two different machines. We got this after the update to Windows 1903. For us it’s a critical issue at this point. What can we do to help with this?
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Cheers,
> >>>>> Doru
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> hi Stef,
> >>>>>> I feel you missed my point. Probably I wasn't clear this has already been tested with latest Pharo 8 launched by PharoLauncher.
> >>>>>> The problem occurs with Pharo 7.0.3(64 bit) and with Pharo8.0-SNAPSHOT-build.635(64 bit)
> >>>>>> https://www.computerworld.com/article/3409621/microsoft-starts-windows-10s-1803-to-1903-forced-upgrade.html
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> If indeed 1903 is the cause, with this update now being *forced* down on people, this will potentially soon impact more and more Windows users.
> >>>>>> So I am requesting someone with access to multiple Windows machines directly compare a 1903 machine with a pre-1903 machine.
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> cheers -ben
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> Hi ben
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> in the pharo launcher if you click on P8.0 (development version) you get access to all the builds.
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> Stef
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>> IThis morning the May 2019 Windows Update "1903" forced itself onto my computer and now 64-bits Pharo seems to have a problem with git_remote_fetch() FFI callout.  I no longer have a non-1903 machine to directly compare behaviour before "1903".  Can someone familiar with this area with both "pre-1903" and "1903" machines triage whether "1903" is indeed the cause?
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>> cheers -ben
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> --
> >>>>> feenk.com
> >>>>>
> >>>>> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."
> >>>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> --
> >>>> feenk.com
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >
> >
> >
>
>

--
Pablo Tesone.
[hidden email]

--
Christopher Fuhrman, P.Eng., PhD
Professeur au Département de génie logiciel et des technologies de l'information
ÉTS (École de technologie supérieure)

http://profs.etsmtl.ca/cfuhrman
+1 514 396 8638
L'ÉTS est une constituante de l'Université du Québec
Reply | Threaded
|

Tudor Girba-2
In reply to this post by Guillermo Polito
Thank you both!

We will test and come back with feedback.

Cheers,
Doru

> On Sep 5, 2019, at 2:47 PM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> First, please, we would love if you can test what Pablo proposed and give us some feedback.
> It will be super helpful to evaluate if it is worth to generate a new vm release!!!
>
> Also, besides what Pablo said in the previous email, I wanted to share some more precisions.
>
> === Precisions on the problem ===
>
> First, just to clarify, we isolated the issue happening only on Windows10 #1903 on Pharo64 bits.
> Pharo32 bits does work well on that update number does work well.
>
> The origin of the problem seems to be a bad integration between libssh2 1.7.0 and the windows CNG crypto layer, which seemingly changed in this update.
>
> === The path to the solution ===
>
> The solution was theoretically super straight forward (upgrade to openssh 1.9.0 + openssl for crypto instead of windows CNG).
>
> It was however super time consuming.
>  - installing the windows update #1903 to test, reproduce and understand the issue took for us a couple of hours, reconfiguring the virtual machines to enlarge disks to download it, then install it...
>  - compiling openssl took literally the entire afternoon yesterday in Pablo’s machine.
>  - then we found several bugs in cmake openssl integration when compiling libssh2 on Cigwin + mingw, because life cannot be easy ^^
>
> And fortunately, we found no incompatibilities between the different versions of these libraries (and libgit2 too!) so it could have been more time consuming :P.
>
> === Alternative solutions and workarounds ===
>
> Alternatively for testing the libraries that Pablo sent in the previous email, there are some other workarounds that people could try in the meantime:
>
> 1) Use Pharo32 bits, which as I said above, does not have the problem.
>
> 2) Use Iceberg in HTTPS (and specifically set the Iceberg-Metacello integration to HTTP by default).
>
> <PastedGraphic-3.png>
>
> We are also evaluating setting HTTPS by default in Iceberg as it is simpler to setup.
> Github, Gitkraken do use HTTPS as a sensible default too.
>
> Cheers
>
>
>> El 5 sept 2019, a las 14:28, [hidden email] escribió:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>     with Guille we have been working in this issue since Monday, it
>> was a complicated issue to solve as we require to compile and test
>> different versions of the libgit2 library and its dependencies
>> (openssl and libssh2).
>> We have a workaround for using ssh in windows.
>> We have produced a new set of libraries with the correct versions.
>> These libraries are available in
>> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fwAVyrEEXkGOAuyAh1wASRRSv3SjZ3R1
>> The idea is to start testing them while we are working on a new
>> release of the VM.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Pablo
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 10:05 AM Guillermo Polito
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Sorry for not communicating better :).
>>> We know this is an important issue and we did move it to top priority even prior to this email ;).
>>> Doru, to answer you, what people can do for the moment is to test what we are going to propose in a couple of hours in your windows machines.
>>> With Pablo we have tested in several Windows 10 machines pre- and post- update 1903. Still we would like people testing on their setups and other windows versions
>>>
>>> We have been working the last couple of days debugging openssh and libgit, and building a version with a more up-to-date version of openssh.
>>> We will come back later this morning / early afternoon with
>>> - a new vm setup using up to date versions of openssh
>>> - a description of workarounds for those tied to old versions of the VM
>>> So people can test.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Guille and Pablo
>>>
>>>> El 4 sept 2019, a las 8:38, ducasse <[hidden email]> escribió:
>>>>
>>>> I saw everybody super busy and I imagine that they will reply soon.
>>>> I’m travelling to give Pharo lectures.
>>>>
>>>>> On 3 Sep 2019, at 19:23, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>> Is there a way to speed the work on this one?
>>>>>
>>>>> At this moment, people cannot load any code in Pharo on Windows 10.
>>>>>
>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>> Doru
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> www.feenk.com
>>>>> "Every thing has its own flow."
>>>>>
>>>>>> On 28 Aug 2019, at 16:20, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> tx doru
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Stef
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On 28 Aug 2019, at 16:01, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Hi
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I opened an issue: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/4437
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I believe this should be treated as critical given that we cannot load code in Pharo 7 (or 8) which makes it almost useless for users.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>>>> Doru
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> On Aug 27, 2019, at 10:54 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> We just encountered this on two different machines. We got this after the update to Windows 1903. For us it’s a critical issue at this point. What can we do to help with this?
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>>>>> Doru
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> On Aug 17, 2019, at 12:50 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> hi Stef,
>>>>>>>>> I feel you missed my point. Probably I wasn't clear this has already been tested with latest Pharo 8 launched by PharoLauncher.
>>>>>>>>> The problem occurs with Pharo 7.0.3(64 bit) and with Pharo8.0-SNAPSHOT-build.635(64 bit)
>>>>>>>>> after Microsoft Windows Update 1903...
>>>>>>>>> https://www.computerworld.com/article/3409621/microsoft-starts-windows-10s-1803-to-1903-forced-upgrade.html
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> If indeed 1903 is the cause, with this update now being *forced* down on people, this will potentially soon impact more and more Windows users.
>>>>>>>>> But my guess that 1903 is the culprit needs to be confirmed.
>>>>>>>>> So I am requesting someone with access to multiple Windows machines directly compare a 1903 machine with a pre-1903 machine.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> cheers -ben
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> On Sat, 17 Aug 2019 at 12:58, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>>>>> Hi ben
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> in the pharo launcher if you click on P8.0 (development version) you get access to all the builds.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Stef
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> On 16 Aug 2019, at 16:02, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> IThis morning the May 2019 Windows Update "1903" forced itself onto my computer and now 64-bits Pharo seems to have a problem with git_remote_fetch() FFI callout.  I no longer have a non-1903 machine to directly compare behaviour before "1903".  Can someone familiar with this area with both "pre-1903" and "1903" machines triage whether "1903" is indeed the cause?
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> A few other recent reports are noted here...
>>>>>>>>>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/3418
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> cheers -ben
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>>> feenk.com
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>> feenk.com
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> “Live like you mean it."
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Pablo Tesone.
>> [hidden email]
>>
>

--
feenk.com

"Being happy is a matter of choice."

Reply | Threaded
|

Christopher Fuhrman-4
In reply to this post by Christopher Fuhrman-4
I can also confirm that Iceberg via SSH was crashing on my Windows 1903 update, and putting those DLLs in Documents\Pharo\vms\80-x64 allows Iceberg to work without a VM crash. 

I did not test on 70-x64.

Good work!

On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 at 10:02, Christopher Fuhrman <[hidden email]> wrote:

Just to clarify on how to test, if I'm using Pharo Launcher, do I just replace the .dll files from your .zip in C:\Users\{me}\Documents\Pharo\vms\80-x64 (and/or \70-x64)?

Hi all,
(openssl and libssh2).
release of the VM.

Cheers,
Pablo

<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
>
> So people can test.
>
> Cheers,
> Guille and Pablo
>
> >
> >
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Doru
> >>
> >> --
> >> www.feenk.com
> >>
> >>>
> >>> tx doru
> >>>
> >>> Stef
> >>>
> >>>>
> >>>> Hi
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> Cheers,
> >>>> Doru
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Hi,
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Cheers,
> >>>>> Doru
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> hi Stef,
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> cheers -ben
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> Hi ben
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> Stef
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>> IThis morning the May 2019 Windows Update "1903" forced itself onto my computer and now 64-bits Pharo seems to have a problem with git_remote_fetch() FFI callout.  I no longer have a non-1903 machine to directly compare behaviour before "1903".  Can someone familiar with this area with both "pre-1903" and "1903" machines triage whether "1903" is indeed the cause?
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>> cheers -ben
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> --
> >>>>> feenk.com
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> --
> >>>> feenk.com
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >
> >
> >
>
>

--
Pablo Tesone.
[hidden email]

--
Professeur au Département de génie logiciel et des technologies de l'information

+1 514 396 8638

--

+1 514 396 8638
Reply | Threaded
|

ducasse

On 8 Sep 2019, at 05:26, Christopher Fuhrman <[hidden email]> wrote:

I can also confirm that Iceberg via SSH was crashing on my Windows 1903 update,

the funny thing is that we could not install 1903 on our PCs because Inria did not validate 1903 as a valid update :)

and putting those DLLs in Documents\Pharo\vms\80-x64 allows Iceberg to work without a VM crash. 

I did not test on 70-x64.

Good work!

On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 at 10:02, Christopher Fuhrman <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,
(openssl and libssh2).
release of the VM.

Cheers,
Pablo

<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
>
> So people can test.
>
> Cheers,
> Guille and Pablo
>
> >
> >
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Doru
> >>
> >> --
> >> www.feenk.com
> >>
> >>>
> >>> tx doru
> >>>
> >>> Stef
> >>>
> >>>>
> >>>> Hi
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> Cheers,
> >>>> Doru
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Hi,
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Cheers,
> >>>>> Doru
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> hi Stef,
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> cheers -ben
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> Hi ben
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> Stef
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>> cheers -ben
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> --
> >>>>> feenk.com
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> --
> >>>> feenk.com
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >
> >
> >
>
>

--
Pablo Tesone.
[hidden email]

--

+1 514 396 8638

--

+1 514 396 8638

Reply | Threaded
|

Tudor Girba-2

> On Sep 8, 2019, at 6:31 PM, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>
>> On 8 Sep 2019, at 05:26, Christopher Fuhrman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I can also confirm that Iceberg via SSH was crashing on my Windows 1903 update,
>
> the funny thing is that we could not install 1903 on our PCs because Inria did not validate 1903 as a valid update :)

This is funny, indeed :)

Doru

>> and putting those DLLs in Documents\Pharo\vms\80-x64 allows Iceberg to work without a VM crash.
>>
>> I did not test on 70-x64.
>>
>> Good work!
>>
>> On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 at 10:02, Christopher Fuhrman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This sounds great, Pablo.
>>
>> Just to clarify on how to test, if I'm using Pharo Launcher, do I just replace the .dll files from your .zip in C:\Users\{me}\Documents\Pharo\vms\80-x64 (and/or \70-x64)?
>>
>> On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 at 09:34, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>      with Guille we have been working in this issue since Monday, it
>> was a complicated issue to solve as we require to compile and test
>> different versions of the libgit2 library and its dependencies
>> (openssl and libssh2).
>> We have a workaround for using ssh in windows.
>> We have produced a new set of libraries with the correct versions.
>> These libraries are available in
>> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fwAVyrEEXkGOAuyAh1wASRRSv3SjZ3R1
>> The idea is to start testing them while we are working on a new
>> release of the VM.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Pablo
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 10:05 AM Guillermo Polito
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > Sorry for not communicating better :).
>> > We know this is an important issue and we did move it to top priority even prior to this email ;).
>> > Doru, to answer you, what people can do for the moment is to test what we are going to propose in a couple of hours in your windows machines.
>> > With Pablo we have tested in several Windows 10 machines pre- and post- update 1903. Still we would like people testing on their setups and other windows versions
>> >
>> > We have been working the last couple of days debugging openssh and libgit, and building a version with a more up-to-date version of openssh.
>> > We will come back later this morning / early afternoon with
>> >  - a new vm setup using up to date versions of openssh
>> >  - a description of workarounds for those tied to old versions of the VM
>> > So people can test.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Guille and Pablo
>> >
>> > > El 4 sept 2019, a las 8:38, ducasse <[hidden email]> escribió:
>> > >
>> > > I saw everybody super busy and I imagine that they will reply soon.
>> > > I’m travelling to give Pharo lectures.
>> > >
>> > >> On 3 Sep 2019, at 19:23, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > >>
>> > >> Hi,
>> > >>
>> > >> Is there a way to speed the work on this one?
>> > >>
>> > >> At this moment, people cannot load any code in Pharo on Windows 10.
>> > >>
>> > >> Cheers,
>> > >> Doru
>> > >>
>> > >> --
>> > >> www.feenk.com
>> > >> "Every thing has its own flow."
>> > >>
>> > >>> On 28 Aug 2019, at 16:20, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > >>>
>> > >>> tx doru
>> > >>>
>> > >>> Stef
>> > >>>
>> > >>>> On 28 Aug 2019, at 16:01, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>> Hi
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>> I opened an issue: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/4437
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>> I believe this should be treated as critical given that we cannot load code in Pharo 7 (or 8) which makes it almost useless for users.
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>> Cheers,
>> > >>>> Doru
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>>> On Aug 27, 2019, at 10:54 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > >>>>>
>> > >>>>> Hi,
>> > >>>>>
>> > >>>>> We just encountered this on two different machines. We got this after the update to Windows 1903. For us it’s a critical issue at this point. What can we do to help with this?
>> > >>>>>
>> > >>>>> Cheers,
>> > >>>>> Doru
>> > >>>>>
>> > >>>>>
>> > >>>>>
>> > >>>>>> On Aug 17, 2019, at 12:50 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > >>>>>>
>> > >>>>>> hi Stef,
>> > >>>>>> I feel you missed my point. Probably I wasn't clear this has already been tested with latest Pharo 8 launched by PharoLauncher.
>> > >>>>>> The problem occurs with Pharo 7.0.3(64 bit) and with Pharo8.0-SNAPSHOT-build.635(64 bit)
>> > >>>>>> after Microsoft Windows Update 1903...
>> > >>>>>> https://www.computerworld.com/article/3409621/microsoft-starts-windows-10s-1803-to-1903-forced-upgrade.html
>> > >>>>>>
>> > >>>>>> If indeed 1903 is the cause, with this update now being *forced* down on people, this will potentially soon impact more and more Windows users.
>> > >>>>>> But my guess that 1903 is the culprit needs to be confirmed.
>> > >>>>>> So I am requesting someone with access to multiple Windows machines directly compare a 1903 machine with a pre-1903 machine.
>> > >>>>>>
>> > >>>>>> cheers -ben
>> > >>>>>>
>> > >>>>>> On Sat, 17 Aug 2019 at 12:58, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > >>>>>> Hi ben
>> > >>>>>>
>> > >>>>>> in the pharo launcher if you click on P8.0 (development version) you get access to all the builds.
>> > >>>>>>
>> > >>>>>> Stef
>> > >>>>>>
>> > >>>>>>> On 16 Aug 2019, at 16:02, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > >>>>>>>
>> > >>>>>>> IThis morning the May 2019 Windows Update "1903" forced itself onto my computer and now 64-bits Pharo seems to have a problem with git_remote_fetch() FFI callout.  I no longer have a non-1903 machine to directly compare behaviour before "1903".  Can someone familiar with this area with both "pre-1903" and "1903" machines triage whether "1903" is indeed the cause?
>> > >>>>>>>
>> > >>>>>>> A few other recent reports are noted here...
>> > >>>>>>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/3418
>> > >>>>>>>
>> > >>>>>>> cheers -ben
>> > >>>>>>
>> > >>>>>
>> > >>>>> --
>> > >>>>> feenk.com
>> > >>>>>
>> > >>>>> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."
>> > >>>>>
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>> --
>> > >>>> feenk.com
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>> “Live like you mean it."
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>
>> > >>>
>> > >>>
>> > >>
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>> --
>> Pablo Tesone.
>> [hidden email]
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Christopher Fuhrman, P.Eng., PhD
>> Professeur au Département de génie logiciel et des technologies de l'information
>> ÉTS (École de technologie supérieure)
>>
>> http://profs.etsmtl.ca/cfuhrman
>> +1 514 396 8638
>> L'ÉTS est une constituante de l'Université du Québec
>>
>>
>> --
>> Christopher Fuhrman, P.Eng., PhD
>> Professeur au Département de génie logiciel et des technologies de l'information
>> ÉTS (École de technologie supérieure)
>>
>> http://profs.etsmtl.ca/cfuhrman
>> +1 514 396 8638
>> L'ÉTS est une constituante de l'Université du Québec
>

--
feenk.com

"We can create beautiful models in a vacuum.
But, to get them effective we have to deal with the inconvenience of reality."

Reply | Threaded
|

Torsten Bergmann
After some testing on two machines with "1903" Win update and loading of different projects with 64bit images I
can also confirm that it is working without any visible side effect. As several windows users confirmed I guess it can
be used in offical VM bundle, launcher, etc. now.

Super cool + Big thanks!

Bye
T.