preparing to release: what do we do with this linux distros?

preparing to release: what do we do with this linux distros?

EstebanLM
http://pharo.org/STAGE.gnu-linux-installation

I don’t think they will work.
We need to update or remove.

Esteban

Re: preparing to release: what do we do with this linux distros?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 9 May 2017, at 16:10, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> http://pharo.org/STAGE.gnu-linux-installation
>
> I don’t think they will work.
> We need to update or remove.
>
> Esteban

It is impossible to support all the Linux distros out there, they are a PIA if you ask may. There are regularly people asking support for weird distros that are maybe used by just a couple of people (if that many). I think we should have a short list of supported distros, all the others should be contributed.

Re: preparing to release: what do we do with this linux distros?

NorbertHartl

Am 09.05.2017 um 16:46 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:

On 9 May 2017, at 16:10, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

http://pharo.org/STAGE.gnu-linux-installation

I don’t think they will work.
We need to update or remove.

Esteban

It is impossible to support all the Linux distros out there, they are a PIA if you ask may. There are regularly people asking support for weird distros that are maybe used by just a couple of people (if that many). I think we should have a short list of supported distros, all the others should be contributed.

The basic list of supported targets will be close to this list

Meaning all "could" be supported if necessary and if there aren't technical issues why it cannot be supported.

People with not so common distros need proper build instructions to do it themselves.

Norbert