preview of Caffeine talk

Craig Latta

Hi all--

     I've made a video tour of my interactive slides for a talk about
Caffeine, an in-browser livecoding environment I built with SqueakJS.
You can see it at [1].

     thanks!

-C

[1] https://vimeo.com/286872152

--
Craig Latta
Black Page Digital

Re: preview of Caffeine talk

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 02:54:27PM +0200, Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi all--
>
>      I've made a video tour of my interactive slides for a talk about
> Caffeine, an in-browser livecoding environment I built with SqueakJS.
> You can see it at [1].
>

>      thanks!
>
> -C
>
> [1] https://vimeo.com/286872152

This video tour is brilliant. Very nice sound track also.

Dave

Re: preview of Caffeine talk

Ben Coman
On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 at 20:54, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

     I've made a video tour of my interactive slides for a talk about
Caffeine, an in-browser livecoding environment I built with SqueakJS.
You can see it at [1].

Wow.  Really amazing.
(although in places it changed screens a bit fast and I had to rewind to read the full text.)

cheers -ben

Re: preview of Caffeine talk

fniephaus

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 2:54 PM Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all--

     I've made a video tour of my interactive slides for a talk about
Caffeine, an in-browser livecoding environment I built with SqueakJS.
You can see it at [1].

Very cool stuff! Next time I'm in Amsterdam (or you are in Berlin), I really need to try one of your VR headsets! :)

Fabio

     thanks!

-C

[1] https://vimeo.com/286872152

--
Craig Latta
Black Page Digital

Re: preview of Caffeine talk

Edgar De Cleene
Very good and as said an inspiration

On 27/08/2018, 09:54, "Craig Latta" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all--

     I've made a video tour of my interactive slides for a talk
> about
Caffeine, an in-browser livecoding environment I built with
> SqueakJS.
You can see it at [1].

     thanks!

-C

[1]

--
Craig Latta
Black Page Digital
> San Francisco
[hidden email]
+31   6 2757 7177 (SMS ok)
+ 1 415
> 287 3547 (no SMS)

Re: preview of Caffeine talk

Craig Latta

Hi--

     Edgar writes:

> Very good and as said an inspiration

     Thanks for the kind words!

     David writes:

> This video tour is brilliant. Very nice sound track also.

     Thanks, Dave!

     Ben writes:

> Wow.  Really amazing. (although in places it changed screens a bit
> fast and I had to rewind to read the full text.)

     Thanks. Yeah, that's tricky. Others have said it lingers too long
on text. I guess I should do something about the slides that have a lot
more text than the others, but there's a lot to say. :)  Aha; whenever
there's more than a few seconds of text I should put some meaningful
animated graphics demo in the background, taking more than enough time
for reading.

> Very cool stuff! Next time I'm in Amsterdam (or you are in Berlin), I
> really need to try one of your VR headsets! :)

     Thanks! Yes, and hopefully I'll get a good six-degrees-of-freedom
headset sometime soon.

     thanks again,

-C

--
Craig Latta
Black Page Digital

Re: preview of Caffeine talk

Giorgio Ferraris
Hi, Craig,

always fascinated by your works!!

giorgio

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 12:18:57PM +0200, Craig Latta wrote:

>      Ben writes:
>
> > Wow.  Really amazing. (although in places it changed screens a bit
> > fast and I had to rewind to read the full text.)
>
>      Thanks. Yeah, that's tricky. Others have said it lingers too long
> on text. I guess I should do something about the slides that have a lot
> more text than the others, but there's a lot to say. :)  Aha; whenever
> there's more than a few seconds of text I should put some meaningful
> animated graphics demo in the background, taking more than enough time
> for reading.

I expect this is a hard thing to to get right.

I also found that the workspaces were going by too quickly for me to
read and digest the first time. My reaction was to replay the video a
few times, stopping to read the workspaces. That is a lot different
from my usual reaction to on-line videos, which is to get bored part
way through the video, and never watch the rest.

If your intention was to hook my interest and get me to look and
think twice, then it worked.

Dave

Re: preview of Caffeine talk

Bert Freudenberg
On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 at 05:31, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 12:18:57PM +0200, Craig Latta wrote:
>      Ben writes:
>
> > Wow.  Really amazing. (although in places it changed screens a bit
> > fast and I had to rewind to read the full text.)
>
>      Thanks. Yeah, that's tricky. Others have said it lingers too long
> on text. I guess I should do something about the slides that have a lot
> more text than the others, but there's a lot to say. :)  Aha; whenever
> there's more than a few seconds of text I should put some meaningful
> animated graphics demo in the background, taking more than enough time
> for reading.

I expect this is a hard thing to to get right.

I also found that the workspaces were going by too quickly for me to
read and digest the first time. My reaction was to replay the video a
few times, stopping to read the workspaces. That is a lot different
from my usual reaction to on-line videos, which is to get bored part
way through the video, and never watch the rest.

If your intention was to hook my interest and get me to look and
think twice, then it worked.

That was my feeling as well. I hate the long-winded explanatory videos that are common nowadays. I much prefer reading at my own pace. This video was not boring, and I think that has to do a lot with the quick pacing.

- Bert -