primitive failed - font allocation - linux

primitive failed - font allocation - linux

Ricardo Birmann
Hi all,

I have heard there are some issues related to font allocation while running VW in linux, but I admit never having actually looked into this to completely understand what is the problem.

A few weeks ago I tried to upgrade from VW 7.3 to 7.4 and, although the installation process seems to have worked, my splash screen hangs and I cannot open the base image.

I remember that the symptoms described at:

... did not exactly match the problems I was having.... but, as I said, I did not take the time to find out what was preventing my image from launching.

Anyway, I am just saying that because I think it might be related to another problem I am having:

When trying to load a bundle from a local store repository I get a primitive failed error. The same problem occurs when running the following code:

Notice showNotice: 'testing notice' complete: 1 while: [ false ].

Hopefully, by understanding why this primitive fails, I will be able to launch VW 7.4..... but it might not have anything to do with it! :)

I am using Ubuntu Linux with X.org and Enlightenment 0.16 as my window manager... if there is any other essential information that might help, please let me know.

regards (and sorry for the looong email),

ricardo

PS: stack when running the code above

Unhandled exception: a primitive has failed
Screen(Object)>>error:
Screen(Object)>>primitiveFailed
Screen>>primAllocateFontNamed:
Screen>>allocateFontNamed:
Screen(HostGraphicsDevice)>>fontNamed:fromClass:encoding:
XFont class>>createFont:toResemble:on:
FontPolicy>>findFont:
optimized [] in TextAttributes>>gridForFont:withTopLead:bottomLead:
TextAttributes>>lineGridFor:
TextAttributes>>lineGrid
ComposedText(TextLines)>>lineGrid
ComposedText(TextLines)>>topAtLineIndex:
CharacterBlockScanner>>characterBlockForIndex:in:
ComposedText>>characterBlockForIndex:
TextCollectorView(ComposedTextView)>>characterBlockForIndex:
TextCollectorView(ComposedTextView)>>resetSelections
TextCollectorView(ComposedTextView)>>bounds:
ScrollWrapper(TranslatingWrapper)>>setComponentBoundsTo:
ScrollWrapper>>bounds:
BorderedWrapper(BoundedWrapper)>>setComponentBoundsTo:
BorderedWrapper>>bounds:
BorderDecorator(CompositePart)>>layoutComponentsForBounds:
BorderDecorator(CompositePart)>>bounds:
BorderDecorator>>bounds:
BoundedWrapper>>setComponentBoundsTo:
BoundedWrapper(Wrapper)>>bounds:
BoundedWrapper(LayoutWrapper)>>bounds:
BoundedWrapper>>bounds:
SpecWrapper(Wrapper)>>setComponentBoundsTo:
SpecWrapper(Wrapper)>>bounds:
CompositePart>>layoutComponentsForBounds:
CompositePart>>bounds:
optimized [] in [] in ScheduledWindow>>extentEvent:
BlockClosure>>ensure:
EventSensor(WindowSensor)>>invalidationSuppressWhile:
optimized [] in ScheduledWindow>>extentEvent:
CompositePart(Object)>>ifNotNil:
ApplicationWindow(ScheduledWindow)>>extentEvent:
ApplicationWindow(ScheduledWindow)>>privateOpenForced:
ApplicationWindow(ScheduledWindow)>>openIn:
ApplicationWindow>>openIn:withType:
UIBuilder>>openScreenCenter:type:name:
UIBuilder>>openWithoutHookupFromWindowSpec:
UIBuilder>>openFromWindowSpec:
Notice(ApplicationModel)>>openInterface:withPolicy:inSession:
Notice(ApplicationModel)>>openInterface:withPolicy:
Notice(ApplicationModel)>>openInterface:
Notice class(ApplicationModel class)>>openOn:withSpec:
Notice class>>showNotice:complete:while:title:
Notice class>>showNotice:complete:while:
UndefinedObject>>unboundMethod
UndefinedObject(Object)>>performMethod:arguments:
UndefinedObject(Object)>>performMethod:
TextEditorController(ParagraphEditor)>>evaluateCompiled:
optimized [] in ParagraphEditor>>evaluateSelection
BlockClosure>>ensure:
Cursor>>showWhile:
TextEditorController(ParagraphEditor)>>eva

Re: primitive failed - font allocation - linux

Ricardo Birmann
I am ashamed... installing gsfonts-x11solved both my problems....