#print:, #printOn: but without the quotes

1 message Options

#print:, #printOn: but without the quotes

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Hello all,

As far back as I can remember, Dolphin has distinguished between printing and displaying - results of the former are intended for consupmption by developers, the latter is for the benefit of the end user.  Dolphin reserves #display:, #displayOn: for end-user-friendly behavior.  The _apparent_ (maybe I'm just missing something) absense of this distinction in Squeak/Pharo really bit me in my recent effort to leverage Citezen for my evolving Seaside app.  At one point, every pass through an edit feature added a set of quotes to various fields :(

I realize that one can simly use #nextPutAll: for strings to avoid the quotes, but there is no polymorphic/intention-revealing alternative for the

#displayOn: is taken by Morphic, something I noticed years ago to my great disappointment.  To hack around the problem, I added #printForUser: and #printForUserOn:.  Is there already an accepted idiom for this?  If not, I would strongly suggest adding one; I like the Dolphin selectors, but the collision with Morphic probably favors sometihng along the lines of #printForUser:.

What do you think?

Bill