printf not working on 5.0

Joseph Alotta
Greetings,

I was using printf extensively, but when I migrated to 5.0 printf does not work.  I filed out the package and filed it back in, but
the compiler can’t find it.

'%8.1f' class ==>  ByteString

'%6.2e' printf: 412.343434 >>  MessageNotUnderstood: ByteString>>printf:

Help!

Sincerely,

Joe.

RE: printf not working on 5.0

Ron Teitelbaum
Hi Joe,

I'm not aware of printf  is it this: http://www.squeaksource.com/Printf/

Ron

Re: printf not working on 5.0

Joseph Alotta
yes, that is the one.

> On Aug 10, 2016, at 2:19 PM, Ron Teitelbaum [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Joe,
>
> I'm not aware of printf  is it this: http://www.squeaksource.com/Printf/
>
> Ron

Re: printf not working on 5.0

Ron Teitelbaum

So you are all set now?

Ron

yes, that is the one.

> On Aug 10, 2016, at 2:19 PM, Ron Teitelbaum [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Joe,
>
> I'm not aware of printf  is it this: http://www.squeaksource.com/Printf/
>
> Ron

Sent from the Squeak - Beginners mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: printf not working on 5.0

Joseph Alotta
No. I already have the code. But the system can't find the method.

Sent from my iPhone

http://forum.world.st/printf-not-working-on-5-0-tp4910343p4910376.html
To start a new topic under Squeak - Beginners, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Squeak - Beginners, click here.
NAML

Re: printf not working on 5.0

Joseph Alotta
Somehow the code was hooked into ByteString, but I can’t see where or how.

Maybe there is a part that I forgot to copy.  Is it possible that the package makes modification to ByteString somewhere?

Sincerely,

Joe.

> On Aug 10, 2016, at 4:38 PM, Ron Teitelbaum [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> So you are all set now?
>

> Ron
>

> yes, that is the one.
>

> > On Aug 10, 2016, at 2:19 PM, Ron Teitelbaum [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Joe,
> >
> > I'm not aware of printf  is it this: http://www.squeaksource.com/Printf/
> >
> > Ron

Re: printf not working on 5.0

Bert Freudenberg
On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 1:44 AM, Joseph Alotta <[hidden email]> wrote:
Somehow the code was hooked into ByteString, but I can’t see where or how.

Maybe there is a part that I forgot to copy.  Is it possible that the package makes modification to ByteString somewhere?

Yes, of course. The package defines various extension methods.

This is probably the easiest way to install it:

Installer ss project: 'Printf'; install: 'Printf'

- Bert -

Re: printf not working on 5.0

Joseph Alotta
Hi Bert,

Thank you for the magic incantation.  It worked.  What will I do when I don’t have someone to tell me what the magic words are?

I filed out the code from 4.3 and filed in the same code into 5.0.  Did it miss a part?  It is all in one project area or is there parts in other places in the image?

How would I debug something like this going forward?

Sincerely,

Joe.

> On Aug 11, 2016, at 4:20 AM, Bert Freudenberg [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 1:44 AM, Joseph Alotta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Somehow the code was hooked into ByteString, but I can’t see where or how.
>
> Maybe there is a part that I forgot to copy.  Is it possible that the package makes modification to ByteString somewhere?
>
> Yes, of course. The package defines various extension methods.
>
> This is probably the easiest way to install it:
>
> Installer ss project: 'Printf'; install: 'Printf'
>
> - Bert -

> http://forum.world.st/printf-not-working-on-5-0-tp4910343p4910433.html
> To start a new topic under Squeak - Beginners, email [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe from Squeak - Beginners, click here.
> NAML

Re: printf not working on 5.0

Bert Freudenberg
On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 5:16 PM, Joseph Alotta <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Bert,

Thank you for the magic incantation.  It worked.  What will I do when I don’t have someone to tell me what the magic words are?

I filed out the code from 4.3 and filed in the same code into 5.0.  Did it miss a part?  It is all in one project area or is there parts in other places in the image?

How would I debug something like this going forward?

No need to debug, you simply need to learn how to use Monticello, our preferred source code versioning system. Changesets have pretty much fallen out of style.

Maybe someone else can supply better pointers to tutorials, but here are some:

- Bert -

Re: printf not working on 5.0

Joseph Alotta
okay, thanks.  i will watch them.