problems with SUnit on linux

stéphane ducasse-2
Hi

we had a lab on linux with vw7.3 and none of the Unit (TestRunner or
RBSUnitExtensions) could work.
We got all the time a primitive failed related to the fonts.
Apparently some fonts were missing
and the system was then not working.
I guess that I could have play with the system to see if we could
have changed the fonts but
I could.

Lot of students were not smalltalkers and this gave a not so good
impression of course.
I was wondering whether fonts substitution would not be possible in
such a case: because
bad looking working program is better than  not working one.

Re: problems with SUnit on linux

Alan Knight-2
Try doing the following before running Smalltalk
    xset fp rehash

Some Linux window managers, notably on Debian and Gentoo distributions, seem to mess up font paths. Although often in that case, the symptom is that it won't start at all, because the basic launcher/workspace/browser fonts aren't found.

--
Alan Knight [|], Cincom Smalltalk Development
http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

"The Static Typing Philosophy: Make it fast. Make it right. Make it run." - Niall Ross