problems with fuel serializing non-integer numbers

problems with fuel serializing non-integer numbers

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Mariano, hi Martin,

As you know, we are using Fuel for serializing objects based on Fame descriptions. We recently added new properties to Fame that contain number values that are not integer (e.g., Float), and now we get the problem that Fuel does not seem to be able to serialize them.

To reproduce the problem, you can download the latest moose image and run the FuelMooseTests:
http://ci.moosetechnology.org/job/moose-latest-dev/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/moose/*zip*/moose.zip

You will see that there are some 44 errors due to looking up values in the dictionary. Could please you take a look and see if the problem is in Fuel or maybe somewhere else?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

Re: problems with fuel serializing non-integer numbers

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks doru for the report!

Stef

On Oct 15, 2011, at 9:48 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi Mariano, hi Martin,
>
> As you know, we are using Fuel for serializing objects based on Fame descriptions. We recently added new properties to Fame that contain number values that are not integer (e.g., Float), and now we get the problem that Fuel does not seem to be able to serialize them.
>
> To reproduce the problem, you can download the latest moose image and run the FuelMooseTests:
> http://ci.moosetechnology.org/job/moose-latest-dev/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/moose/*zip*/moose.zip
>
> You will see that there are some 44 errors due to looking up values in the dictionary. Could please you take a look and see if the problem is in Fuel or maybe somewhere else?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

Re: problems with fuel serializing non-integer numbers

tinchodias
Hi
I am downloading and will look at it.

Martín

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 4:50 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks doru for the report!

Stef

On Oct 15, 2011, at 9:48 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi Mariano, hi Martin,
>
> As you know, we are using Fuel for serializing objects based on Fame descriptions. We recently added new properties to Fame that contain number values that are not integer (e.g., Float), and now we get the problem that Fuel does not seem to be able to serialize them.
>
> To reproduce the problem, you can download the latest moose image and run the FuelMooseTests:
> http://ci.moosetechnology.org/job/moose-latest-dev/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/moose/*zip*/moose.zip
>
> You will see that there are some 44 errors due to looking up values in the dictionary. Could please you take a look and see if the problem is in Fuel or maybe somewhere else?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

Re: problems with fuel serializing non-integer numbers

Tudor Girba-2
Thanks!

Keep us posted,
Doru

On 15 Oct 2011, at 15:10, Martin Dias wrote:

> Hi
> I am downloading and will look at it.
>
> Martín
>
> On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 4:50 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks doru for the report!
>

> Stef
>
> On Oct 15, 2011, at 9:48 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
> > Hi Mariano, hi Martin,
> >
> > As you know, we are using Fuel for serializing objects based on Fame descriptions. We recently added new properties to Fame that contain number values that are not integer (e.g., Float), and now we get the problem that Fuel does not seem to be able to serialize them.
> >
> > To reproduce the problem, you can download the latest moose image and run the FuelMooseTests:
> > http://ci.moosetechnology.org/job/moose-latest-dev/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/moose/*zip*/moose.zip
> >
> > You will see that there are some 44 errors due to looking up values in the dictionary. Could please you take a look and see if the problem is in Fuel or maybe somewhere else?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Doru
> >

> > --
> > www.tudorgirba.com
> >
> > "It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

www.tudorgirba.com

"In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

Re: problems with fuel serializing non-integer numbers

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Any news related to this topic?

Cheers,
Doru

On 15 Oct 2011, at 16:42, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Thanks!
>
> Keep us posted,
> Doru
>

> On 15 Oct 2011, at 15:10, Martin Dias wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> I am downloading and will look at it.
>>
>> Martín
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 4:50 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks doru for the report!
>>

>> Stef
>>
>> On Oct 15, 2011, at 9:48 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Mariano, hi Martin,
>>>
>>> As you know, we are using Fuel for serializing objects based on Fame descriptions. We recently added new properties to Fame that contain number values that are not integer (e.g., Float), and now we get the problem that Fuel does not seem to be able to serialize them.
>>>
>>> To reproduce the problem, you can download the latest moose image and run the FuelMooseTests:
>>> http://ci.moosetechnology.org/job/moose-latest-dev/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/moose/*zip*/moose.zip
>>>
>>> You will see that there are some 44 errors due to looking up values in the dictionary. Could please you take a look and see if the problem is in Fuel or maybe somewhere else?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
> one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."

Re: problems with fuel serializing non-integer numbers

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 10:34 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Any news related to this topic?

Both Martin and I could reproduce the problem but we couldn't fix it. We are a little bit busy because we are finishing the paper... If course Fuel can serialize Float, so the problem is in another place.
So far we think that there is some instVar than changes while we are serializing the graph. Like if at the beginning it was 0.0 but then something different. So it looks like a instVar which is a float and changes while we are serializing it. That's all we can get for the moment.

Cheers

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: problems with fuel serializing non-integer numbers

tinchodias
Yes, I couldn't invest many time to the fix it. I will continue during the week.

Martin

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 10:34 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Any news related to this topic?

Both Martin and I could reproduce the problem but we couldn't fix it. We are a little bit busy because we are finishing the paper... If course Fuel can serialize Float, so the problem is in another place.
So far we think that there is some instVar than changes while we are serializing the graph. Like if at the beginning it was 0.0 but then something different. So it looks like a instVar which is a float and changes while we are serializing it. That's all we can get for the moment.

Cheers

Cheers,
Doru

On 15 Oct 2011, at 16:42, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Thanks!
>
> Keep us posted,
> Doru
>

> On 15 Oct 2011, at 15:10, Martin Dias wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> I am downloading and will look at it.
>>
>> Martín
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 4:50 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks doru for the report!
>>

>> Stef
>>
>> On Oct 15, 2011, at 9:48 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Mariano, hi Martin,
>>>
>>> As you know, we are using Fuel for serializing objects based on Fame descriptions. We recently added new properties to Fame that contain number values that are not integer (e.g., Float), and now we get the problem that Fuel does not seem to be able to serialize them.
>>>
>>> To reproduce the problem, you can download the latest moose image and run the FuelMooseTests:
>>> http://ci.moosetechnology.org/job/moose-latest-dev/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/moose/*zip*/moose.zip
>>>
>>> You will see that there are some 44 errors due to looking up values in the dictionary. Could please you take a look and see if the problem is in Fuel or maybe somewhere else?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "It's not how it is, it is how we see it."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
> one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: problems with fuel serializing non-integer numbers

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Interesting observation. Perhaps, the problem could come from the following situation:

We now introduced meta-described properties for MooseEntities that compute the values lazily. Furthermore, the values are not stored in instance variables, but in a dictionary in MooseEntityState.

I am not sure how exactly you are traversing the object graph and what you are serializing. I thought that you go exclusively through the meta-description. In this case, you should not have this issue at all. But, if you get to the object level, things can change.

Cheers,
Doru

On 19 Oct 2011, at 05:47, Martin Dias wrote:

> Yes, I couldn't invest many time to the fix it. I will continue during the week.
>
> Martin
>
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 10:34 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Any news related to this topic?
>

> Both Martin and I could reproduce the problem but we couldn't fix it. We are a little bit busy because we are finishing the paper... If course Fuel can serialize Float, so the problem is in another place.
> So far we think that there is some instVar than changes while we are serializing the graph. Like if at the beginning it was 0.0 but then something different. So it looks like a instVar which is a float and changes while we are serializing it. That's all we can get for the moment.
>
> Cheers
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> On 15 Oct 2011, at 16:42, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Keep us posted,
> > Doru
> >

> > On 15 Oct 2011, at 15:10, Martin Dias wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >> I am downloading and will look at it.
> >>
> >> Martín
> >>
> >> On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 4:50 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Thanks doru for the report!
> >>

> >> Stef

> > --
> > www.tudorgirba.com
> >
> > "In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
> > one might have better chances to win by moving slower."
> >

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."
>

> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 8:05 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Interesting observation. Perhaps, the problem could come from the following situation:

We now introduced meta-described properties for MooseEntities that compute the values lazily. Furthermore, the values are not stored in instance variables, but in a dictionary in MooseEntityState.

Indeed, that sounds related to the problem. I really never  touch a line in the Fuel extension for Fuel nor to the Moose model, so I can be asking non-sense. Anyway, we have this method:

shouldIgnore: attribute withAll: values
    "Copied from FMRepositoryVisitor>>ignoreProperty:withAll:"

    ^ values isEmpty or: [
        attribute isDerived or: [
            attribute type == FM3MetaDescription boolean and: [
                values size == 1 and: [
                    values first == false ]]]]

or

attributes

    ^attributes ifNil: [ attributes := (repository metamodel descriptionOf: theClass) allAttributes reject: [ :anAttribute | anAttribute isDerived ] ].

and things like that... so may question is , maybe there are some new attributes/properties which should be considered as derived for example?

cheers

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 8:05 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Interesting observation. Perhaps, the problem could come from the following situation:

We now introduced meta-described properties for MooseEntities that compute the values lazily.

I forgto to say something. I don't understand why while traversing the graph we could trigger that lazy computation. Are they getters? can you imagen a why that we execute them (even without wanting) while traversing the graph?

> [...]

> >> Stef

> > --
> > www.tudorgirba.com
> >
> > "In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
> > one might have better chances to win by moving slower."
> >

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."
>

> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: problems with fuel serializing non-integer numbers

Yes, they are getters.

I now solved the problem by marking the metrics as <derived> which means that they do not get saved. This was needed in any case. But, still the error that we got in Fuel might still be around.

Cheers,
Doru

On 19 Oct 2011, at 21:23, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Doru
> >
> > On 15 Oct 2011, at 16:42, Tudor Girba wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Keep us posted,
> > > Doru

> > > --
> > > www.tudorgirba.com
> > >
> > > "In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
> > > one might have better chances to win by moving slower."
> > >

> > --
> > www.tudorgirba.com
> >
> > "The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."
> >

> > --
> > Mariano
> > http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
> >

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

"Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 11:02 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Yes, they are getters.

I now solved the problem by marking the metrics as <derived> which means that they do not get saved.

Good news!
This means that the tests are green?

This was needed in any case. But, still the error that we got in Fuel might still be around.

Well, this is not a bug/error but instead a serializer limitation: if a certain object of the graph changes while we are serializing it, there may be errors.

> [...]

> > www.tudorgirba.com
> >
> > "The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."
> >

> > --
> > Mariano
> > http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
> >

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."
>

> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
>

> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: problems with fuel serializing non-integer numbers

Ok. I imagine that that lazy metrics' getter calculates the result each time it is performed, isn't it?

In our Moose extension we have problems when that happens.

Martin