project for migrating sea side to visual age

project for migrating sea side to visual age

Fernando Wermus
    We are working in a project at university to migrate sea side to visual age. We wanna know if somebody has an alternative design to continuations, because it is becoming hard working to migrate continuations to visual age.
    Just in case, someone could give us some help with continuations in visual age we will be very thankful.

Thanks in advance

Re: project for migrating sea side to visual age

Avi  Bryant
On Oct 21, 2006, at 12:15 PM, Fernando Wermus wrote:

>     We are working in a project at university to migrate sea side
> to visual age. We wanna know if somebody has an alternative design
> to continuations, because it is becoming hard working to migrate
> continuations to visual age.

There are two levels at which Seaside uses continuations.  One is in
the implementation of WASession>>respond:, and the other is in the
implementation of WAComponent>>call:.

Neither of these methods can be implemented without continuations.
However, it's reasonable to imagine Seaside applications that never
directly used either of them.  The main problem is that #respond: is
used in some key places in the framework, most notably in
WARender>>render and WARender>>redirect.

It *would* be possible to implement WARender without using #respond:,
and that's what I would suggest you do.  You'll need to start storing
objects in the Session with #actionUrlForContinuation: that *aren't*
continuations, but that still keep the infinite alternations of
#render/#redirect going in the same way that WARenderLoop>>run does
now.  These objects also need to do the snapshot/restore bookkeeping
that #respond: currently takes care of.

If you need more guidance here, let me know.

Avi