protobufs for Pharo

Benjamin Pollack-2
Hey all,

Has anyone implemented protobufs for Pharo yet? I’ve not managed to find any examples, so I assume the answer is “no”, but I thought I’d check here before rolling up my sleeves and writing one myself. (My specific target here is to write a RethinkDB driver, so if someone has magically also done *that*, please let me know, too.)

Thanks,
--Benjamin

Re: protobufs for Pharo

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
It would be a nice and welcome addition !

> On 10 May 2015, at 00:39, Benjamin Pollack <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey all,
>
> Has anyone implemented protobufs for Pharo yet? I’ve not managed to find any examples, so I assume the answer is “no”, but I thought I’d check here before rolling up my sleeves and writing one myself. (My specific target here is to write a RethinkDB driver, so if someone has magically also done *that*, please let me know, too.)
>
> Thanks,
> --Benjamin

Re: protobufs for Pharo

Paul DeBruicker
If you've gotta have prorobuf then you've gotta have protobuf but there is a thrift implementation (https://thrift.apache.org/) and also a message pack implementation (https://code.google.com/p/stomp-serializer/)

Benjamin Pollack-2 wrote
Hey all,

Has anyone implemented protobufs for Pharo yet? I’ve not managed to find any examples, so I assume the answer is “no”, but I thought I’d check here before rolling up my sleeves and writing one myself. (My specific target here is to write a RethinkDB driver, so if someone has magically also done *that*, please let me know, too.)

Thanks,
--Benjamin

Re: protobufs for Pharo

Benjamin Pollack-2
On Mon, May 11, 2015, at 12:27 PM, Paul DeBruicker wrote:
> If you've gotta have prorobuf then you've gotta have protobuf but there
> is a
> thrift implementation (https://thrift.apache.org/) and also a message
> pack
> implementation (https://code.google.com/p/stomp-serializer/)

There are unfortunately a lot of protocols (including the one I
mentioned used by RethinkDb) that are protobuf-based, so using one of
those won't work too well. If interfacing with a third-party tool
*weren't* necessary, I'd honestly probably just use Fuel, anyway.

--Benjamin

Re: protobufs for Pharo

Dmitri Zagidulin
I'm pretty sure there isn't a protobuf library for Pharo.
If you're planning on implementing one, I'd love to collaborate (I could certainly use one for Phriak (driver for the Riak nosql db)).

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 2:46 PM, Benjamin Pollack <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, May 11, 2015, at 12:27 PM, Paul DeBruicker wrote:
> If you've gotta have prorobuf then you've gotta have protobuf but there
> is a
> thrift implementation (https://thrift.apache.org/) and also a message
> pack
> implementation (https://code.google.com/p/stomp-serializer/)

There are unfortunately a lot of protocols (including the one I
mentioned used by RethinkDb) that are protobuf-based, so using one of
those won't work too well. If interfacing with a third-party tool
*weren't* necessary, I'd honestly probably just use Fuel, anyway.

--Benjamin

Re: protobufs for Pharo

Paul DeBruicker
http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~gokr/Protobuf

Its not totally done yet

Benjamin Pollack-2 wrote
Hey all,

Has anyone implemented protobufs for Pharo yet? I’ve not managed to find any examples, so I assume the answer is “no”, but I thought I’d check here before rolling up my sleeves and writing one myself. (My specific target here is to write a RethinkDB driver, so if someone has magically also done *that*, please let me know, too.)

Thanks,
--Benjamin

Re: protobufs for Pharo

Paul DeBruicker
Hit 'send' inadvertently.

Goran Krampe has gotten it as far as it is now.  I may have a use for protobufs to access a 3rd party library and would be willing to help get it finished in the event anyone else is interested.

Paul DeBruicker wrote