#protocol extension not allowed

mmimica
Hi

I have got this exception on the server: MaObjectSerializationUserError: #protocol extension not allowed (MessageNotUnderstood).
I know it's a long shot, but could you guess what was the cause of the problem?

--
Milan Mimica
http://sparklet.sf.net

Re: #protocol extension not allowed

Chris Muller-3
Hi Milan.  Yes.  The "protocol" here refers to the set of classes that
make up all types of objects that will be sent between a client and
the server.

It is an artifact of the Ma-Client-Server package.  Here's an overview
of that package.

    http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2978

What has happened is, a MNU occurred and is now attempting to be
serialized and sent either from client to server or from server to
client.

The first step is to figure out what the MNU is, where and why it
occurred.  That is the real problem, not the protocol extension.  If
it is occurring on the server, try setting

    MagmaPreferences debug: true

in your server so that it will open a debugger if the error occurs.

The other possibility is that the client is attempting to send a MNU
object to the server.

Neither of these should ever happen under normal circumstances, so I'm curious..

 - Chris